Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you won $250 million, would you continue to work for your emplorer or...
Start own business 11 12.50%
Go back to school and get that degree 1 1.14%
Stay with current employer 8 9.09%
Fund research and create own scientific lab 2 2.27%
donate to charity 3 3.41%
Run for President or other political office 0 0%
Start own movie studio and produce films or movies 1 1.14%
Open animal shelters 3 3.41%
Feed the hungry 0 0%
Anything but continue to work for employer 20 22.73%
Some of the above 26 29.55%
None of the above 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
With that much money she could take a business course and open a shop of some kind, or something and create jobs.
That statement is truly funny and sad at the same time. So you think taking a business course is all it takes to run or operate a business? No wonder so many businesses fail in the first year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Heard a story about a woman surgeon won huge lottery and she had death threats over it. People at work didn't speak to her and they lost friends in the hospital as well as the community even though this couple set up a very generous charity.

So rich people do win and it is a major life changing even for all, regardless of income level before the win.

What makes me sad is the poor uneducated saps who spend entirely too much money on this gamble when they could have used the money to further their education in the first place. How many families end up in peril over obsessive lottery playing- just like any other uncontrolled kind of gambling?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
I'm really trying to win. If I won I think I would open up a frozen yogurt shop or go to school to get a degree in something- and then work part time in that career field. Even with winning millions- I think I would be to bored having my own place and not working at all.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I'm really trying to win. If I won I think I would open up a frozen yogurt shop or go to school to get a degree in something- and then work part time in that career field. Even with winning millions- I think I would be to bored having my own place and not working at all.
How about touring the country in a nice RV, motorhome?

How about taking a vacation and exploring the pyramids, maybe starting your own magazine, taking flying lessons, opening a scholarship program for students to go to college...

Ever wanted to write and direct a movie or screen play?
Or invent something...with that kind of money you could bring your idea to market...

i could stay busy for the rest of my life without ever being employed ever again...as long as I had the funding to do so...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i wouldnt work at any job. i would focus my efforts on growing my wealth so thats its there for me and my future generations. none of it would go to charity or anywhere to help people outside of my family.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM

20 posts, read 57,047 times
I'll like to point out that you don't really get all 275 million. A large portion of it goes to taxes and if you choose the 26 years plan then you have to consider inflation too. An author wrote in his book that you really only get to keep 25% of your winning.

I bought about 20 tickets before I realize it's just not worth it. Yeah, sure, 25% is still a lot of money. But how annoying would it be to have everyone in your life coming to you asking to borrow money --and even better, not returning it because you have plenty. Or the fact you are more likely to be targeted for theft/kidnap.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToystoryM View Post
I'll like to point out that you don't really get all 275 million. A large portion of it goes to taxes and if you choose the 26 years plan then you have to consider inflation too. An author wrote in his book that you really only get to keep 25% of your winning.

I bought about 20 tickets before I realize it's just not worth it. Yeah, sure, 25% is still a lot of money. But how annoying would it be to have everyone in your life coming to you asking to borrow money --and even better, not returning it because you have plenty. Or the fact you are more likely to be targeted for theft/kidnap.
you can really minimize how many people ask for money by making it clear thats not going to happen and also not talking to people who would push the issue. there are plenty of rich people out there and they arent constantly being asked for money by friends and family. also, if you arent too flashy, your kidnap/theft risk isnt so high.

you just have to be smart about it.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Some people are the only people who know how to do their jobs and they can't be easily replaced. Perhaps she is being "nice" and giving her employer time to find a replacement?

The worst thing you can do to any employer is to quit suddenly with no notice. It takes time to find a replacement. For some specialized jobs, it could take 6 months or longer to find a replacement.
No disrespect, but I somewhat agree with you.

Yes, in a "happy path" scenario, the worst thing one could do would be to quit suddenly and leave an employer sort-of in a rut. But, also, the worst thing an employer could do is fire someone without giving them 3 months notice to find another jobs; businesses recover faster than individuals. I have, now, tagged this as the LeBron James scenario. Yeah, you could say it is "wrong" for LeBron James, or anyone for that matter, to just quit without giving their employer a proper exit plan. But, think of how many basketball players didn't get the red carpet LeBron had and just got cut or traded without a proper, timely, notice from the Cavaliers (or an employer). This is just an analogy, but a fitting one.

My take is if the person is just going back to close-out and give their employer sufficient time to transition the work...fine. Maybe they had a good relationship as employer and employee and the person feels as though that is the least they could do. But, even under a "good terms" scenario, an employee owes nothing to an employer. It's a nice to have, but it's not a law. Second, that is why organizations should do succession planning. But, to get back on topic, if you are rich as a b----, you should get off of the books and let someone else get that gig. To hit the lotto for millions - with debt that is insignificant to your newfound wealth - and continue to work just because you find purpose in it or because you love what you do is just feasting (i.e., selfish). Find a new passion and something with some purpose as in cleaning up and/or being a groundskeeper or security guard at a local school or daycare, maybe volunteer teaching a subject or helping out at a daycare clinic, working with addicts, developing a learning plan for people unemployed or helping them with resume and interviewing skills. You can find a passion outside of your trained profession, or by doing it on a smaller scale.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
If I won the lottery, I would set up a trust and have an attorney collect the winnings for the trust. It wouldn't give me total anonymity, but it would help keep my name out of the spotlight and keep the average joe from knowing who I was. I would definitely quit my job and get out of the daily 9-5 grind. My standard of living would obviously go up but I would not live a life that screamed "look at me I'm rich!". I would build my dream home and invest/save/ secure my future and do some traveling. Maybe build a beach home. Also, I would do charitable work involving animals.

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 02-21-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,843 times
Some people don't go to work for the paycheck. They go to work because they love the work. These people usually make the best employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance