Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
which takes decades and a sale (or refinancing) to ever realize
This is speculation.

which is needed to justify having your own cash in play for that period.
This is a business.
So you say. On the other hand, I have done very well in life taking the long view, and I don't need to justify to anyone my choices about how I've had my "own cash in play" for any period.

But I am not advocating for or against rental property as an investment. I am just pointing out that cash flow is typically negative for some years on any new acquisition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we finally agree
Matt -- I think that you are a fine fellow, and that we probably agree on many things. Now if you would only stop that nonsense about the 4% SWR

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM

106,686 posts, read 108,856,202 times
And you disputing it! Ha ha ha ,but for lack of a better guide it still is what it is.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
So you say. On the other hand, I have done very well in life taking the long view, and I don't need to justify to anyone my choices about how I've had my "own cash in play" for any period.

But I am not advocating for or against rental property as an investment. I am just pointing out that cash flow is typically negative for some years on any new acquisition.
I have been doing it for more than 25 years. at least 7 of those years has been with a partner who is one of the most successful ,famous real estate investors in ny .

I can't think of any of our property that had positive cash flow year one even going back before I was involved.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
No! There is a difference between making a profit on a long-term investment and having a positive cash flow in the short term.
And neither one of them would be possible under the math and assumptions posted earlier.

Quote:
I know -- I'm one of them
And the rents you are able to charge in your local market are closer to half a percent of the current market value of the property or to one percent? You have of course answered this question before, so feel free to go back and check on that. Wouldn't want to be contradicting yourself.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
No, not on ANY acquistition.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 AM

it just amazes me how how someone can argue and argue about something they have no experience with , never did themselves and are just pulling assumptions out of the air.

come back and argue after you have a few deals under your belt , otherwise this is just silly.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-21-2013 at 02:23 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
No! There is a difference between making a profit on a long-term investment and having a positive cash flow in the short term.

I know -- I'm one of them
we have so many areas going through gentrification. areas you or i would have never lived in are turning golden.

who ever thought housing in harlem or williamsburg would be desirable.

the selling price is based on many things but the bulk is rent roll less expenses times a blue sky factor for future appreciation ability .

while rent rolls suck at this point the blue sky factors can be quite sizeable as future appreciation is built into the selling price to you.

it can be very hard initially to make a profit early on. but the profits can be sizeable later on if things go as planned.

the worth now of some of the property in what were the worst areas of nyc is amazing.

williamsburg , red hook , harlem and long island city have morphed into gold for those owners who tolerated the low rents all these years.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-21-2013 at 04:12 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
And neither one of them would be possible under the math and assumptions posted earlier.

And the rents you are able to charge in your local market are closer to half a percent of the current market value of the property or to one percent? You have of course answered this question before, so feel free to go back and check on that. Wouldn't want to be contradicting yourself.
What on earth are you trying to say? Here is my earlier comment regarding rent - one half of one percent -- which matches exactly my more recent post. Where is the contradiction?

Quote:
This is what I am getting on my rental property even here in NC -- one half of one percent. One percent is completely out of reach.
If you disagree with the assumptions in my more recent post, please let me know which and how. You and I agree that the rent centers around a half percent, and the rest is arithmetic. Ultimately gains come from appreciation, slowly increasing rents, and capital gains at resale. Cash flow is typically negative for some years.

By the way, your posts would be a lot better if you would drop the constant, condescending sarcasm. I sense that a lot of your readers here are getting really tired of it. Too bad, as you have some interesting ideas.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 AM

my sentements as well. you can tell he has smarts but he tends to reply in very sarcastic ways whether he is right or wrong.

as they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as you only know what you know but do not factor in all the things you do not know which you learn from doing and that is where he gets into trouble.

with many things in the financial world on paper and theory thats how things should play out , in practice they rarely do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance