Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,294,108 times

Advertisements

Look at me I'm smart and those people are stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,276,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that the average lottery player looks at the game and there are only 40 numbers available and they think, "How hard can it be to pick 6 numbers where there are only 40 numbers to pick from?"

A whole lot of people go through life refusing to learn anything about mathematics. Even a large percentage of college students will pick a major based upon the lack of a math requirement.

My opinion, it is a fun investment to spend $1 and do some dreaming. That's about the price of a candy bar, gives pleasure, and doesn't make you fat.

I do think it is sad that low income people, who really can't afford it, spend so much money on tickets. However, those are the same poor people who think it is OK to spend $300 a month on cigarettes, so they are going to waste the money, no matter whether lottery is available or not.
What poor person can not afford a 1 or 2 dollar lotto ticket? Maybe buying that ticket helps that person feel good and gives hope(false or not). I have never played but I might buy a $5 or less ticket for fun. Forget millions if I could win a couple thousand dollars I would be happy.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,732,560 times
I play lottery games for fun. I haven't played a lot latey but yesterday, I was at the grocery store. I had a couple of dollars from my change and I put it in the machine and bought a scratch off. I won $30. A couple of weeks ago, I won $100 on a scratch off. About 2 or 3 months ago, I played a number on a whim and won $500.

Like I said, I haven't played a lot lately but I would think that, over a years' time, I probably break even. It's fun entertainment ---- I don't drink, I don't smoke --- so I think it's fine to spend whatever little amount I spend on lottery tix and scratch offs.

Since we're speaking of "Stupid Tax" ---- what is the tax on alcohol and cigarettes/tobacco??? I would think that's an IMBECILE TAX. You're paying a boatload of taxes on something that will eventually KILL YOU. At least with lottery games, you're not killing your health and the health of those around you.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have to admit, I never thought of putting the money I don't spend on lottery tickets into the stock market.

But then, I consider both to be nothing but gambling.
The stock market is not gambling. It is basically investing your money in company earnings.

And for the most part, company earnings go up over time.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
I buy a few lottery tickets each week and a few scratchers during the week. Nowhere near $100/month, though.

For me, it's worth the few dollars per week for the chance of winning big.

Back in September, I did win $500 (10x$50). It was a very nice surprise!

I've also won $10-$50 quite a few times, with the scratchers and the regular tickets.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 PM

88,636 posts, read 84,895,898 times
I play the Cash 5 drawing every day--play by the week, actually, $7 spent once a week. Winning would not be a million+ prize, more in the tens of thousands or occasionally a couple hundred thousand when it gets big, but it would kill the debt and make life a little better.

By the way, I've mostly won $8 or $11 or so with three numbers. Won $450 earlier this year with 4. That's it.

How much stock can you buy with $365 a year? Exactly what would you buy with that?

Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,732,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I play the Cash 5 drawing every day--play by the week, actually, $7 spent once a week. Winning would not be a million+ prize, more in the tens of thousands or occasionally a couple hundred thousand when it gets big, but it would kill the debt and make life a little better.

By the way, I've mostly won $8 or $11 or so with three numbers. Won $450 earlier this year with 4. That's it.

How much stock can you buy with $365 a year? Exactly what would you buy with that?

After brokers' fees and trading fees? Not much.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,821,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
A group of school cafeteria ladies put 25 cents a week to buy one ticket ( 2 drawings per week )

Their numbers won 1/2 the jackpot and they each got 2 million clear after taxes.

They only were spending 25 cents a week

I doubt they believe their $13 per year should have been invested in stocks instead.
I knew a teacher who did the same. He won (don't remember how much but more than a million). He was planning on retiring in a couple of years, but instead retired that day.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
not put the money instead into the stock market? I swear, the lottery must be a stupid tax. The odds of some small company succeeding is probably much higher than getting a lottery and watching the investment account grow is much more fun than logging on to the internet to see if the numbers drawn were yours.

My immediate family alone spends 100 dollars a month on powerball and various scratch-off things and always try to egg me on and buy my own tickets.

At least I can get at least some part of my money back if I "lose". Theirs is gone forever. And I am convinced my odds of winning is higher.

If I spend a few dollars every few months on lottery tickets it is no big deal.
The biggest problem with the lottery or any gambling is with those who cannot control the amount of time and money they spend trying to hit the big pay out.
The stock market is very confusing to me and I would have to find someone I trust completely to take any amount of my money and invest it and it would definitely cost me more than a few dollars every few months.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:12 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,230 times
I give myself $20 a month for lottery tix. I see how far into the month I can make it last. Sometimes I feel lucky and spend it all at once, sometimes dribs and drabs but that $20 is the limit. I can invest winnings into more if I want, but usually cash out. Most months I end up ahead by $30-50 so I enjoy it. My husband never ever ever ever wins. He won't even buy my tickets and give them to me to scratch. (He's superstitious) I hit a couple hundred around the holidays every year so....

I have an investment portfolio and I have to mention yes, you are investing in the company but still it's a gamble as to how well their earnings will be and if the stock market crashes yet again, you lose sir; you get NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance