Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM

207 posts, read 354,880 times

Advertisements

That degree was wasted on you. You learned nothing. And now you will add nothing to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
I'll admit they weren't the brightest bulbs (which is an advantage for me) and I didn't even have co-signers so they're out of luck to collect from me. Like I said before, the only possibility would be wage garnishment, but they would have to sue me first and get a judgment (this will be easy, but many are reluctant to sue because of costs, statute of limitations, etc).
First, if you have a law degree I don't understand why you are working as a paralegal instead of as an attorney.
Second, if you are an attorney, wouldn't you know the law as it relates to whether or not you can be sued to collect this debt? Just not understanding why someone with your level of education is not working at that level.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Facts:

I have over 160,000 $ in PRIVATE student loan debt and my undergrad degree is from an Ivy League university. Will they ever sue me for that debt since I don´t have ANY assets at all and no fixed/permanent source of income? I have an EU passport and can leave the US whenever I want. Right now I am working as a paralegal with a salary of 15$/hour. I´ve tried Europe in the past but couldn't find any jobs there. The situation is worse over there, but on the other hand at least wouldn't have to worry about paying back something IMPOSSIBLE for me to pay.

Any advice will be helpful at this point.
I understand that you are overwhelmed but it is your responsibility to pay the debt. While my student loan debt is no where the amount yours is, I had it in forbearance for several years and increased my debt by $6000. It took 15 years to pay it off. If you do not have it, you do not have it. That will not be the case forever. After all, you are an Ivy. Request a forbearance and focus on building your career. The money will come.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM

205 posts, read 284,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
First, if you have a law degree I don't understand why you are working as a paralegal instead of as an attorney.
Second, if you are an attorney, wouldn't you know the law as it relates to whether or not you can be sued to collect this debt? Just not understanding why someone with your level of education is not working at that level.
1. Because I'm not barred in the US. Simple.

2. No. Attorneys do not simply know "all the laws" just because they are attorneys. We specialize in one or two areas, or specific areas. Your question shows you are ignorant about attorney work.

Any more questions?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I understand that you are overwhelmed but it is your responsibility to pay the debt. While my student loan debt is no where the amount yours is, I had it in forbearance for several years and increased my debt by $6000. It took 15 years to pay it off. If you do not have it, you do not have it. That will not be the case forever. After all, you are an Ivy. Request a forbearance and focus on building your career. The money will come.
I have looked at this possibility as well and if I get a good, well-paying job, will certainly make plans to pay.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM

115 posts, read 337,209 times
So why are you hiding instead of just going the legal way? If you don't have any money to pay your debt then file for bankruptcy. At least then you don't have to hide any more and can start building a good resume.

I also don't understand why you're always pointing out that you can go to Europe when in other posts you mentioned that you also can't find any jobs there.

If I were you I'd go the legal way, file for bankruptcy, build a resume and try to find a good job. Then at least you don't have to hide on a crappy job any more.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
So why are you hiding instead of just going the legal way? If you don't have any money to pay your debt then file for bankruptcy. At least then you don't have to hide any more and can start building a good resume.

I also don't understand why you're always pointing out that you can go to Europe when in other posts you mentioned that you also can't find any jobs there.

If I were you I'd go the legal way, file for bankruptcy, build a resume and try to find a good job. Then at least you don't have to hide on a crappy job any more.
I would love to do that but you can't file bankruptcy for student loans, public or private.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Join the French Foreign Legion
If worst comes to worst, you could always try escaping from your loans by literally escaping. The French Foreign Legion, for example, not only offers the opportunity to go to foreign lands, but encourages new members choose a new identity. Enlistment is for five years, and new enlistees receive roughly $1,400 per month. After serving one stint, legionnaires may apply for French citizenship, an option that may give you legal protection from your creditors, in addition to a pretty sweet state-run universal health care system.

A similar thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=955647

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Too bad you wasted all the money getting an education at an Ivy League school. FYI. Most of the working world outside the East doesn't much care if it was an Ivy League school. 1. They may have never even heard of it, don't know its Ivy League, or even care. If you were looking for a job in Texas, you might be have been better of with a degree from Texas A+M. or 2. Not ready to bow to you when you appear because of the diploma your holding. No relevant work experience, no job. My suggestion would be move to some state where the unemployment rate is low and they are looking for people. You could get a job in ND or Texas working in the oil fields. If you did that, you might get a real education; something useful.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
1. Because I'm not barred in the US. Simple.

2. No. Attorneys do not simply know "all the laws" just because they are attorneys. We specialize in one or two areas, or specific areas. Your question shows you are ignorant about attorney work.

Any more questions?
LOL! What a great and stupid statement! Sweetie, I'm certainly not ignorant about "attorney work"...I have worked in law since 1984.
You apparently have an attitude, and you really don't want any advice, you want to brag that you have a huge debt and you have decided you are not going to pay it.
So what? Join the rest of the legion of losers who post on sites like this, trying to rationalize and aggrandize as to why they are where they are.
So yes, to quote your original statement, you ARE "a mess" ... but certainly not a charming one.
I won't spend any more time on this thread...got some "lawyering" to go do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance