Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
No, a math degree does not qualify you to be a software engineer. Can you refer me to a BS in math program that contains "quite a few" Computer Science classes?! I've seen maybe 2 classes in those curriculums...
This makes me somewhat curious, though I increasingly don't believe a word you say. What kind of jobs did you apply for? My first job right out of college was a programming gig, and my background had precisely nothing to do with CS. What makes you less qualified than me or the hundreds of other software people I worked with whose degrees were almost all in something other than computer science?

You claim to have a degree from an ivy league university in one of the most highly recruited, highly paying majors - with a high GPA - and you expect us to believe that the best you can do is working as a paralegal making less than a McDonald's manager? What did you do so wrong that your ivy league and foreign education have left you worse off than a high school graduate? How did things go so terribly wrong that you find yourself making less than a high school math teacher with a degree from a small state university no one has ever heard of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Out of curiosity which ivy league school are we talking about Kunniholm?.
As you say this was all privately funded i find it curious you werent asked for some form of collateral on all this borrowed money.
Your post 140 seems to blame all your hardship on the demise of America and the American system..
Quote:
The reason we are all getting crap pay and will continue to do so is because the entire system has failed and we are in the waning days of the US. Get used to slave wages and an ever increasing unaffordable lifestyle unless something happens
Odd logic as it was that very system that apparently gave you that $160K, i can assume you had fun in your time spent at your ivy league college...

Last edited by jambo101; 10-15-2013 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What did you major in, smart guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Math. I only have a BS in Math though, and an LLM (Law) from the UK.
Oh really?

Quote:
I'm 32 years old, went to an "Ivy League" university where I obtained a B.A. in International Relations (2003). Then, I went to live in Italy for the past ten years where I obtained a law degree (LLB, NOT JD). The Law system is totally different.
So, apparently, 4 months ago your Ivy League degree was a B.A. in International Relations and now it has transformed into a B.S. in Math to conform to your current story.

And 4 months ago you posted that you had obtained an LLB in Italy, and that has now changed into an LLM from the UK. Interesting.

If you want to be a successful troll, you need to do a better job of keeping your made-up life and stories straight.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
You're not the brightest bulb are you? I asked for my official transcripts before defaulting as well as my degree. Yes, official ones.

Second, when I applied to law school in the UK there were no blocks on my account and so I was able to send them official transcripts as well. It's really not rocket science.

///////////////
Everyone else> I'll ignore the moralizing comments on some of the responses. Spare me your sermons.
You can get an official copy of your transcript for yourself, but it's NOT an official transcript as far as other schools or employers go unless it comes directly from the school. Contrary to what you think, skippy, employers and grad schools know very well that students can and have "doctored" transcripts.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Can you refer me to a BS in math program that contains "quite a few" Computer Science classes?!
Here you go brotha. I counted 4, 5 if you include discrete math and more if you take upper division electives in CS. Besides, if the OP is smart enough to make it through an undergraduate math program at an Ivy League school then he's smart enough to expand on his programming skills to become an engineer. Many math majors end up going that route. The OP was asking for help, as stated in the thread title so I was merely offering suggestions as to how he could get a decent paying job and regain control of his finances. He needs to get off his butt and apply himself. As other posters have pointed out, people who go to Ivy League schools are intelligent go-getters that would view working as a paralegal for $15/hr as failure.

https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/...nopassive=true

Last edited by Scottay; 10-15-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 AM

205 posts, read 284,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh really?

So, apparently, 4 months ago your Ivy League degree was a B.A. in International Relations and now it has transformed into a B.S. in Math to conform to your current story.

And 4 months ago you posted that you had obtained an LLB in Italy, and that has now changed into an LLM from the UK. Interesting.

If you want to be a successful troll, you need to do a better job of keeping your made-up life and stories straight.

This is hilarious. I modify some of the personal info a bit because obviously too much "correct" info can be a lead for some, but your "discovery" is really irrelevant to the fact and question I present.

And I don't give a crap if you think I'm a "troll". You people should come up with a better one because you seem obsessed trying to label me something I'm not.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What did you do so wrong that your ivy league and foreign education have left you worse off than a high school graduate? How did things go so terribly wrong that you find yourself making less than a high school math teacher with a degree from a small state university no one has ever heard of?
Too many felonies on his record and/or drug problems maybe????

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You can get an official copy of your transcript for yourself, but it's NOT an official transcript as far as other schools or employers go unless it comes directly from the school. Contrary to what you think, skippy, employers and grad schools know very well that students can and have "doctored" transcripts.
I've yet to be asked for one "official" copy sent DIRECTLY from the college. This is a load of BS. Of course students can have doctored transcripts, but it's real simple in this case since if they doubted, they could always call my college and ask...and colleges are required to report all degrees offered. Since they are an employer, the college would send them transcript anyway, rather than to me so no worries.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Too many felonies on his record and/or drug problems maybe????
I just drifted. No, no drugs. I've never tried drugs, but I didn't think I'd be able to afford the debt and this was a correct observation.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Facts:

I have over 160,000 $ in PRIVATE student loan debt and my undergrad degree is from an Ivy League university. Will they ever sue me for that debt since I don´t have ANY assets at all and no fixed/permanent source of income? I have an EU passport and can leave the US whenever I want. Right now I am working as a paralegal with a salary of 15$/hour. I´ve tried Europe in the past but couldn't find any jobs there. The situation is worse over there, but on the other hand at least wouldn't have to worry about paying back something IMPOSSIBLE for me to pay.

Any advice will be helpful at this point.

Start with stop being a troll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance