Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no you can't afford to pay the bills and maintain it. if you could get a property owner to accept your offer we wouldn't be having this discussion.

this thread is just getting silly.

??? The property owner accepted my offer and I would have had $150/mo reserve left after monthly payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 03:42 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
so why are you pestering us with your nonsense?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
i have no clue

My employer (lender) was satisfied that I could afford it. Of course, he also gained in the deal by keeping me as a captive employee, above the money specific to the deal.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
so why are you pestering us with your nonsense?

Because you have been saying that burger flippers should have only what they can afford and should not have things they cannot afford. I have offered an example of something I was able to afford, yet was not allowed by government to have.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
i have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, they can be blamed for being in a position where they are unable to save for their retirements. A persons station in life results directly from decisions they have made over their lifetimes, and most people who wind up at the bottom of the ladder are there as a direct result of a lifetime of poor decision making and a lack of self discipline. There are always exceptions of course, such as people afflicted with physical and mental disabilities or victims of accidents that are unable to work and support themselves, and it's to these cases that public aid and charity should be directed. Unfortunatley, there are WAY to many people in the first category and WAY to many people who want to enable them to stay there by diverting resources away from the people who truly need it. The answer that you so desperatly seek Freemkt is to stop the handouts and force people to change their ways and be responsible for themselves. Start teaching these people to fish, because if you keep giving them fish, they never learn how to catch one for themselves. There is no other answer Freemkt.

??? I am not asking for handouts, I am asking for property rights and economic liberty to be restored, so that low-wage workers can purchase real estate they can afford, free of unnecessary government interference. You note public aid to the disabled, but that aid typically provides only a poverty-level standard of living to most workers who are not already homeowners. (Workers who already own a home when they become disabled are able to enjoy an increasingly greater standard of living than their disabled counterparts who do not own a home.) This is why I consider it crucial that low-wage workers be able to buy a home before they become disabled.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How do you know the $130 reduction in food expenditure is linked to hunger as opposed to a shift from restaurant to homemade meals?

And why has it become so taboo to suggest living with roommates if you can't afford your own place without food/healthcare/retirement suffering for it?

We'd be much better off as a society if we could tell the difference between genuine economic hardships and self-imposed splurging disease.

Splurging disease, when combined with taxpayer assistance, tends to lead to Entitlement Syndrome. In extreme cases the victim develops a delusion of grandeur, believing the world owes him/her everything, and shouldn't have to work for it.

??? When people live in housing they can't really afford, I presume they are doing very little restaurant dining. The fact that these people are spending very little on healthcare and saving very little for retirement seems to support this presumption. And I'm confident that at least the childless adults generally do live with roommates. The vast majority of low income renters (76%) do not receive rental assistance; those not receiving rental assistance are likely to be childless non-seniors, and therefore unlikely to be receiving other types of assistance. There are over 11 million low income renters chasing less than 5 million affordable rentals, of which 2.6 million are occupied by bigher-income renters.

Yes, baby mamas can get lots of handouts, while there is very little available to childless adults.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM

84 posts, read 133,785 times
Should they? Yes
Can they? No

Life was never fair and never will be. Sad, but that's how it is.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I am not asking for handouts, I am asking for property rights and economic liberty to be restored, so that low-wage workers can purchase real estate they can afford, free of unnecessary government interference. You note public aid to the disabled, but that aid typically provides only a poverty-level standard of living to most workers who are not already homeowners. (Workers who already own a home when they become disabled are able to enjoy an increasingly greater standard of living than their disabled counterparts who do not own a home.) This is why I consider it crucial that low-wage workers be able to buy a home before they become disabled.
In another thread, you say you can't afford a down payment or a mortgage on even an inexpensive home. So how do you plan on purchasing real estate "you can afford" when you can't afford it?

Do you expect the prices to be lowered to accommodate your price point? Do you want zoning to be changed so you can live on a 4x4' plot of land in a small home (which you still wouldn't be able to afford, I'm thinking, but that's another issue)? Do you want someone to lend you money for free so you can afford a mortgage?

Those are ALL handouts.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well duh. But some people earn lifetime low wages; are you familiar with Nickel and Dimed?
No. Who are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance