Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 AM

236 posts, read 251,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what is being questioned is not traditional medicaid for ltc but the special version of medicaid called MEC or extended medicaid which the partnership plans use .

there is no required spending down with some of these like the plan we have here in ny . all assets are protected 100% so no spending down , look back or asset shifting is needed once medicaid pays .

even income remains unlimited for the stay at home spouse although at this point they request you contribute 25% of income towards the care . regular medicaid will not allow the stay at home spouse to have more then 2990 or so a month which in nyc leaves you impoverished . so to have to give just 25% with no cap is an amazing deal .

the spouse receiving care still has income limitations though .
Are the rules different once the person is eligible for mediciaid and receiving nursing home services? Or are the rules different related to eligibility only? So it allows access without total spend down but once enrolled, the benefit is the same?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I was confused by your exchange earlier and appreciate you clarifying. I'd like to understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
if they are partnership ltc plans sponsered by the state and not just ltc insurance plans , each state is different .

ny has one of the best .

we took 3 years insurance coverage at 350 a day 5% inflation adjusted .

when the insurance runs out you can have extended medicaid .

none of our assets are counted and there are no income retrictions for the say at home spouse as part of our continuing deal with the state .

the perks are worth more then the insurance is .

Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
we took a ny partnership plan for ltc. the perks after the insurance are worth more then the insurance to us .

we have to take 3 years coverage but after that no asset shifting , no 5 year look back period and most important almost no restriction on the income allowed for the stay at home spouse when medicaid picks up the bills after the insurance runs out .

asset protection is unlimited if you take the total asset plan as opposed to the cheaper dollar for a dollar plan that ny offers as well .
I'm single but this is very useful information since I'm planning to retire in Massachusetts and you never know about marital status. It looks like Massachusetts has similar law and regulations.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:58 AM

49 posts, read 369,477 times
It depends. On Non magi medicaid or Magi medicaid. Magi medicaid goes by your tax return. Inheritance would not effect it. Non Magi medicaid. Inheritance would effect it.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprn View Post
It depends. On Non magi medicaid or Magi medicaid. Magi medicaid goes by your tax return. Inheritance would not effect it. Non Magi medicaid. Inheritance would effect it.
the two types refer more to health insurance from medicaid , not long term care medicaid ... . non magi means you already meet the requirements for medicaid in a nutshell but in any case that would not apply to most with assets or income above the thresholds for medicaid

Old 09-18-2020, 04:56 AM

49 posts, read 369,477 times
Quote:
the two types refer more to health insurance from medicaid , not long term care medicaid ... . non magi means you already meet the requirements for medicaid in a nutshell but in any case that would not apply to most with assets or income above the thresholds for medicaid

Oh long term medicaid Is a completely different beast when i comes to inheritance. If i was her i would talk to an Attorney. Also i don't think she would be allowed to refuse or gift an inheritance if she is on long term medicaid or non magi.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprn View Post
Oh long term medicaid Is a completely different beast when i comes to inheritance. If i was her i would talk to an Attorney. Also i don't think she would be allowed to refuse or gift an inheritance if she is on long term medicaid or non magi.
yes , long term care medicaid is very very different from health insurance medicaid and requires professional advice

Old 09-18-2020, 05:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Look into setting up what is called a Special Needs Trust. My brother needs Medicaid coverage/disability but inherited some money from our parents. It went into a Special Needs Trust so that he could still get the benefits from the inheritance but it wouldn't affect his qualifications for Medicaid/disability.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Your mother's inheritance has likely put her in a position where she can afford to pay for an ACA policy with the after-tax income from IRA withdrawals for a few years.

But... she prefers to have the taxpayers fund her health care so she can give money to you and your brother?

Old 09-19-2020, 07:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Your mother's inheritance has likely put her in a position where she can afford to pay for an ACA policy with the after-tax income from IRA withdrawals for a few years.

But... she prefers to have the taxpayers fund her health care so she can give money to you and your brother?
1) This thread is from 2014.

2) Sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance