Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 03:19 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed.

I think when someone feels like they're the "middle of the pack" for having $50M, it shows just how much we humans compare "up" no matter how much we have.

It's a reminder to all of us that it's something we all have to watch out for. If you make 33K a year, you're in the global top 1%. It's ok to strive for "more" (of whatever), but it's equally important to remember to be grateful for what we already have.
Then again, how do we really know if anyone is being truthful on the internet. For all we know those claiming to be multi millionaires could be an unemployed 35 year olds and living in their parents basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM

4,324 posts, read 6,289,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Then again, how do we really know if anyone is being truthful on the internet. For all we know those claiming to be multi millionaires could be an unemployed 35 year olds and living in their parents basement.
Good point. Some of the most humble people I've ever met in real life are actually very wealthy. They don't feel they need to showboat to prove a point, as they're comfortable in their own skin. On the other hand, those that have tried to give that impression that they're wealthy are generally living above their means and probably only one paycheck away from financial failure.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:40 PM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
It could happen but if they are regular posters we can kind of already guess where they stand ..if they are not posters we know ,who really cares ?

Old 02-21-2021, 01:01 AM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
That's possible, and I had that though myself. I mean how many people with $50M are going to be spending their time posting on CD. I tend to think such people are busy with other things.

But the tendency to compare up is still pretty strong. Lots of other financial surveys show that many multi millionaires feel like they're just middle class, or upper middle class at most.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
That's possible, and I had that though myself. I mean how many people with $50M are going to be spending their time posting on CD. I tend to think such people are busy with other things.

But the tendency to compare up is still pretty strong. Lots of other financial surveys show that many multi millionaires feel like they're just middle class, or upper middle class at most.
I agree.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
Quote:
But there must be some posters here who must own buildings or multi properties in high COL cities, not saying that is the reason behind his NW. The OP didn't divulge much but he did graduate from Stanford so it could be plausible.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
Quote:
I hope that when I become a multimillionaire, I'll have better things to do than post on this forum.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Money has zero to do with conversing with others or joining in discussions....

Once you are finished for the day working for your money , your money works for you and you can have lots of free time to do all sorts of things you like.

I can’t imagine where people get this idea that if you have saved a few million you can’t enjoy forums or things on the internet ...

Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Money has zero to do with conversing with others or joining in discussions....

Once you are finished for the day working for your money , your money works for you and you can have lots of free time to do all sorts of things you like.

I can’t imagine where people get this idea that if you have saved a few million you can’t enjoy forums or things on the internet ...
I know what you are saying. Just not sure I would be on forums posting 50 million worth. To each his own I guess.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:23 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:

There is one who will inherit a LOT of money and posts here sometimes. Didn't earn it himself. Doesn't come off as particularly brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance