Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 04:47 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Congrats
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 05:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
Congrats again. Do you plan to work till 65? Or till you get sick of your job? Or is there a set amount you hope to achieve and get out of the rat race?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:51 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Congrats again. Do you plan to work till 65? Or till you get sick of your job? Or is there a set amount you hope to achieve and get out of the rat race?
thanks. I plan to work until age 50, so about 3 years more. I live frugally (by choice) so I am actually adding about $90K/yr to my portfolio each year. Since my expenses are rather low and I have no debts at all I can sustain myself on not too much of an annual withdrawal. I may also consider retiring abroad, like Portugal, SE Asia or S. America - an alternative I am exploring. With the advent of remote working (especially in my field) it is a possibility to live elsewhere and work remote for a US company.

I love the field I work in but I will continue working after 50 only if I can find projects that I really love. I really loved my previous job (amazing boss, work environment, good pay and teammates) which I had to leave unfortunately due to Covid.. my current job I am not so crazy about but the pay is good, it isn't terrible but i'm not too excited about it including the people I work with unfortunately. Hopefully I can be a little more selective going forward in the type of jobs I want.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Today is the day I see that elusive extra digit on my portfolio balance, my official entry into the 7 figure club. It's been a long time coming but I am finally here. I know I will probably get kicked out and inside of this mark over the next few months or possible even years, who knows, but it's a great feeling to have finally accomplished it with diligent investing and a little bit of luck in the markets.

It's been a wild ride - $375K Net Worth at age 42 to $1M+ at age 47, glad I HODL through all the market madness over the years.

So here is my final NW Update:

Income: $175k/yr inclusive of bonuses + stock
NW: $1.00038 Million (investments only, not inclusive of my property - car, personal prop. etc.)
We're going to send you the millionaire club jacket and a special invitation to our secret summer yacht party

Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
We're going to send you the millionaire club jacket and a special invitation to our secret summer yacht party
LOL Don't rain their parade. It really does feel good when you hit a milestone like that.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:14 PM

I don't want to update my net worth right now. I've been overspending on the farm and it's gone DOWN!

Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I don't want to update my net worth right now. I've been overspending on the farm and it's gone DOWN!
Yikes!

But from reading your posts, I'm sure you'll find a way to make up for it one way or another.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:39 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Thank you!!
Money's not everything, but let's not pretend it doesn't matter. It feels good when you hit a milestone like that.

Congrats!

Old 06-03-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yikes!

But from reading your posts, I'm sure you'll find a way to make up for it one way or another.
Yes, you're right:

-This month I'm back to writing down each and every purchase at the end of the day.
-I'm menu planning and not giving in to the impulse of eating out or getting coffee everyday (we got really bad with the latter). When we do go out for coffee I bring my own instant coffee and hot water and only my husband and/or kids order drinks. It honestly makes no difference to me.. it's sitting in the coffee shop with a warm beverage that I'm looking for.
-I'm setting the farm budget to what our condo rental brings in... unfortunately I had forgotten a purchase I made that was backordered and that item is now available and the payment is pending so I've pretty much blown through the monthly farm budget and it's only June 2!

If I do these things we'll be exiting the month with half a paycheck, which we will divide between college savings, big expense (trip to London, tractor, car.. in that order) and domestic travel (son's soccer games).

In other words: We're going to be okay! Even without my mom's estate settlement. I just need to learn to pace myself!

Old 06-03-2021, 08:04 AM

400 posts, read 564,600 times
Quote:
Today is the day I see that elusive extra digit on my portfolio balance, my official entry into the 7 figure club. It's been a long time coming but I am finally here. I know I will probably get kicked out and inside of this mark over the next few months or possible even years, who knows, but it's a great feeling to have finally accomplished it with diligent investing and a little bit of luck in the markets.

It's been a wild ride - $375K Net Worth at age 42 to $1M+ at age 47, glad I HODL through all the market madness over the years.

So here is my final NW Update:

Income: $175k/yr inclusive of bonuses + stock
NW: $1.00038 Million (investments only, not inclusive of my property - car, personal prop. etc.)
If you don't mind me asking - what app are you using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance