Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 10:50 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
About 33% of my net worth comprises real estate, the rest is cash, brokerage and retirement accounts. TBH, if I didn't have the forced savings of paying my mortgage I'm not sure I would have intelligently invested that money.

Also my mortgage was steady when I was renting this unit out. Of course escrow went up and down, mostly up but that was pretty much passed off to the tenant. My PITI was under 1k, but the tenant was paying 1850 a month for the privilege of living there. I was able to take the difference minus costs to accelerate paying off the mortgage.
I do think the forced savings of having a mortgage can help a lot of people. Once they get used to pay for something that appreciates in value, the light bulb goes off for some that they can buy other things that go up in value, too.

I'm an abstract thinking so I didn't need to own a place for that light bulb to go off. I remember being a kid and just loving the idea of earning interest in a bank account or CD for doing nothing. It took me a long time to realize other people's brains just don't light up when it comes to compound interest the way mine did / does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
When my daughter got married she was going to rent in our area ....instead I talked her into living in a different area and buying a coop .

It wasn’t like if they lived in our area there was a difference to save..it was pay rent and get nothing or live in a different area and at least get something.

So they bought the coop in Howard beach , John gotti’s old neighborhood .

Old 03-26-2021, 04:07 AM

At different times of our Ives we have different resources and options ...

Early on the best choice may be to buy since not many have much to invest elsewhere after rent nor do they have the discipline..

Then once you develop equity you can have cash to work with if you decide to rent ...by the time I rented I had enough seed money to rent and buy a real estate business with the money no longer tied up in the house ,so today that money pays our rent as well as our years expenses by being invested.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
I wonder how common it is to have a minimum of a million dollars in investments as well as owning/living in a million dollar house. Where I live the average house price is a tad over a million dollars. This not brand new nor are they mansions by any means. Second most unaffordable city for housing in relation to incomes. https://canadaimmigrants.com/average...-in-vancouver/

Old 03-27-2021, 07:13 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I wonder how common it is to have a minimum of a million dollars in investments as well as owning/living in a million dollar house. Where I live the average house price is a tad over a million dollars. This not brand new nor are they mansions by any means. Second most unaffordable city for housing in relation to incomes. https://canadaimmigrants.com/average...-in-vancouver/
A $2 million net worth puts you in the top 6.5% in the US, top 2.3% in Canada. But since a US dollar equals 1.26 Canadian dollars, you would need to be worth $2.52 million Canadian to be worth $2 million US. That puts you in the top 1.7% in Canada. I don't know if statistics are even available for people who own a million dollar home free and clear, but that would further lower the percentage.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
We have a few million in investments and own no house..our investments not only spin off enough to pay the rent but most of our yearly expenses as well and are still growing

Old 03-31-2021, 06:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
That’s what I’m working on the next few years - our house is about $1M ($250K mortgage), I have the million plus in cash, my goal is $1M (house) / $1M cash / $1M stocks. With the vast majority of my net worth being in commercial real estate investments that generate passive income. The 3 x 1 goal is just for diversification and making sure I have a nice base to grow.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:22 AM

816 posts, read 967,846 times
I used to be active on this forum a while back . Went through a rough divorce, and now back on my feet.

My post on the first page of this thread some 7 years ago:

----
San Jose
230K/ yr
NW 440K
----

I am now 38 ( almost 39) - Bay Area - I expect to make 450K (560 household) this year - N/W 1.4M. (1.9M household)

Life in the last 3 years has been good. Got married again and this time to someone who works... I think its safe to say that having double income had an incredible impact on my/our finances. I expect to add 300-400K to our collective NW every year now. but not all goes according to plan.. just thankful for now.

Last edited by aramax666; 04-01-2021 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 04:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
More updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374
SoCal
Income: $140-150k
NW incl. 401k: $375k
Interesting to see my own progress from my own captured post!

Updated:

Income: $150k/yr
NW: $585k
Income: $171k/yr incl. bonus + stock
NW: $774k

Approx breakdown: $520k in Taxable, $23k in Roth, $216k in 401k, $12k in HSA, $3k in ESPP

Hope the market gods continue to drive us up at this pace LOL!
Latest Update:

Income: $173.1k/yr incl. bonus + stock
NW: $947K ($650K Taxable, $250K 401k, $47K Roth/HSA)

Not yet $1M, but getting CLOSE!!!!
Today is the day I see that elusive extra digit on my portfolio balance, my official entry into the 7 figure club. It's been a long time coming but I am finally here. I know I will probably get kicked out and inside of this mark over the next few months or possible even years, who knows, but it's a great feeling to have finally accomplished it with diligent investing and a little bit of luck in the markets.

It's been a wild ride - $375K Net Worth at age 42 to $1M+ at age 47, glad I HODL through all the market madness over the years.

So here is my final NW Update:

Income: $175k/yr inclusive of bonuses + stock
NW: $1.00038 Million (investments only, not inclusive of my property - car, personal prop. etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you live? Age? How much do you make a year? How much is your net worth? (MERGED)-portfolio1m.png  

Old 06-02-2021, 04:41 PM

Congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance