Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM

41 posts, read 31,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I feel curious about it, but can't get over the safety issues (and I'm one who generally doesn't worry about such things).
I worry about it too, but I'm just in a desperate situation and I need to pay my debts off. Two years ago I was driving around 9:00 AM around Newark, it was snowing a lot and I stopped to give a couple that were walking and struggling in the snow a ride, once inside the car they pulled a knife on me and they robbed me, early on that day I had stopped to put a gas and I had my bank card on my jacket so I was lucky enough that they didn't take my bank card I had gotten paid the day before, but since that incident I had been traumatized so to do this I had to overcome my fears and trust that nothing would happen. That's the reason that I won't be driving later that 9-10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth61 View Post
I worry about it too, but I'm just in a desperate situation and I need to pay my debts off. Two years ago I was driving around 9:00 AM around Newark, it was snowing a lot and I stopped to give a couple that were walking and struggling in the snow a ride, once inside the car they pulled a knife on me and they robbed me, early on that day I had stopped to put a gas and I had my bank card on my jacket so I was lucky enough that they didn't take my bank card I had gotten paid the day before, but since that incident I had been traumatized so to do this I had to overcome my fears and trust that nothing would happen. That's the reason that I won't be driving later that 9-10:00 PM.
Well, is there a reason you aren't considering being a courier? You don't have to worry about strange people in your car doing that.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, is there a reason you aren't considering being a courier? You don't have to worry about strange people in your car doing that.

How do I go about finding a job about being a courier? I have a full time job, so for me it was something that I wanted to do it in the evenings after 5:00 PM and on weekends. I guess I was looking for the flexible schedule that they offer.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth61 View Post
How do I go about finding a job about being a courier? I have a full time job, so for me it was something that I wanted to do it in the evenings after 5:00 PM and on weekends. I guess I was looking for the flexible schedule that they offer.
Look online. Many courier companies use the same time of flexible scheduling that Uber does, and some even let you set your own schedule. There is a ton of work going in and out of EWR every day, I just don't know the names of the local companies that handle it.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:05 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,695,092 times
I know someone who is an Uber driver. All he does is complain that he's earning peanuts. His problem is that he's renting the car he uses. The real money is if you can get other drivers working for you. You just provide the cars. That's ambitious though.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:29 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,740,295 times
The thought of dealing with angry drunks puking all over the backseat does not sound appealing.

At all.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The thought of dealing with angry drunks puking all over the backseat does not sound appealing.

At all.
I want to do it from 5:00-10:00 PM during the weeks and Saturday and Sunday during the day.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:39 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,178,078 times
I have thought about doing it on Friday and Saturday nights from 10-2 AM when the surges in my area are 4-10x, but have not done it as of yet.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:30 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,256,591 times
Driving a taxi as a female would scare me... especially in NY and urban parts of NJ. Courier definitely sounds like the better option.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Driving a taxi as a female would scare me... especially in NY and urban parts of NJ. Courier definitely sounds like the better option.
Courier sounds like a good option but also requires a regular schedule, for me it's the flexibility I like. If have any other option I would do it, but at this point I'm just trying to dig myself out of the hole I'm with debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance