Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You could always choose to emulate her choices.

I work full time but still qualify for EITC. I could take a really nice vacation with my refund. Or buy a really nice 4x4 atv that I have been eyeing up for years. But the refund is going to savings instead.

Next year that Atv is going to be mine. But I need to sell a house this year, refinance another one, and simplify my finances. I also want to do some home repairs to my main house.

The atv will be the reward when I get that all done.

You just don't seem to get it. Most people in your situation never do. Enjoy your ATV, I'm sure it will be one of the high points of your entire life. Your screen name should be Lowonbrains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You could choose to have low income and get EITC, but I think you are better off having the higher income and paying taxes on it.

My parents are retired and write a check three times my refund, so we like to say I just get back part of their money.

My kids and I did not go on a vacation this past year either.
I'm sure you do think I am better off having a higher income and paying taxes on it so you can get a refund when you paid absolutely NO federal tax into the system.

Your parents owe tax based on their income, that money now belongs to the American people for the collective good. You have no claim to the money just because your parents paid taxes.

I'm fine with low income and the poor paying NO tax. What I have a huge problem with is you getting a refund for thousands of dollars more than you paid into the system. Then you're telling us you have multiple houses, buying an ATV, going on vacations...those are things that people who have "higher income" and pay taxes get to do, not people who collect government money for doing nothing. I'm paying $25,000 in federal tax alone (then add tens of thousands for SSI, Medicare, state, property and sales taxes) and there are no vacations or ATV's in my future.

I have a higher income, however, a reasonable mortgage, retirement savings, kids in college, gas to commute to our jobs, high insurance costs, high utility costs, etc. don't leave room for vacations and ATV's in our house.

It is amazing how so many entitled people see no problem in our current system.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 473,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm sure you do think I am better off having a higher income and paying taxes on it so you can get a refund when you paid absolutely NO federal tax into the system.

Your parents owe tax based on their income, that money now belongs to the American people for the collective good. You have no claim to the money just because your parents paid taxes.

I'm fine with low income and the poor paying NO tax. What I have a huge problem with is you getting a refund for thousands of dollars more than you paid into the system. Then you're telling us you have multiple houses, buying an ATV, going on vacations...those are things that people who have "higher income" and pay taxes get to do, not people who collect government money for doing nothing. I'm paying $25,000 in federal tax alone (then add tens of thousands for SSI, Medicare, state, property and sales taxes) and there are no vacations or ATV's in my future.

I have a higher income, however, a reasonable mortgage, retirement savings, kids in college, gas to commute to our jobs, high insurance costs, high utility costs, etc. don't leave room for vacations and ATV's in our house.

If that lifestyle seems so attractive to you, why not just be poor?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 35,568 times
Pay off student loans. Or my car

Old 01-30-2016, 02:24 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGoing View Post
Pay off student loans. Or my car
Tough choice to make, depending on balances and APR.

How are you going to decide?

Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You just don't seem to get it. Most people in your situation never do. Enjoy your ATV, I'm sure it will be one of the high points of your entire life. Your screen name should be Lowonbrains.
I am putting my refund in savings. Not buying an atv this year.

I am quite smart so I do not appreciate your name calling.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

I might not pay income tax, but I did pay almost $7k in property taxes this year. So don't say that I do not contribute anything, because I certainly pay it in other areas.

The poor should not be paying taxes. My yearly salary is not much more than your federal tax bill and I have all the other expenses that you have, mortgage payments, insurance costs, high utility costs, and we did not even get a day trip to the beach this year. I have $800 electric bills during really cold months. Can you top that?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Exactly instead of just being jealous, go be poor and get the little EITC.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
When you get a tax refund it means you made a loan to the federal government, without earning any interest. I prefer to come out as close as possible by adjusting my withholding when I get a raise. In fact, I'd rather pay a small amount in April than get a refund, and use my money as I get it, with savings going into pre-tax retirement and interest-bearing accounts.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
That's the point, it isn't attractive to me...it disgusts me. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of people like you and the OP that find it more attractive to take from society than to produce and give to society. Being a drain on society is in no way attractive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I might not pay income tax, but I did pay almost $7k in property taxes this year. So don't say that I do not contribute anything, because I certainly pay it in other areas.

The poor should not be paying taxes. My yearly salary is not much more than your federal tax bill and I have all the other expenses that you have, mortgage payments, insurance costs, high utility costs, and we did not even get a day trip to the beach this year. I have $800 electric bills during really cold months. Can you top that?
Another poor choice on your part...someone making $25,000 has no business owning property that would create a $7k property tax as you can't afford that. Sell the property and rent someplace you can afford and you will no longer have that property tax bill. Same for you electric bill, if you have $800 a month electric bills you're living somewhere you can't afford. ATV's, vactions, $7k property tax bills, $800 a month electric bills should not even be in the conversation of someone that makes a $25,000 annual wage. That I have to tell you this speaks volumes about your character.

Last edited by LBTRS; 01-30-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance