Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 AM

256 posts, read 452,757 times

Advertisements

Pay the smallest balance off first. Get that easy kill out the way so you can turn your attention to the bigger monster facing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Depending on how fast you can payoff both, getting a personal bank loan(2700)to pay them off would likely lower your cost. This is provided you seriously intend to start paying in full each month for any further use. More important than how you use this 800 is starting to pay in full from here on out.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
My Discover Card balance is $2885.00 with a interest charge of 16.24%. My Amex Card balance $714.00 with a interest charge of 12.74%.

I have about $800 dollars coming my way in 5 weeks and wanted to know should I end the balance for Amex and then start working on the Discover Card balance? Or do I send the $800 to Discover Card since it has the highest interest?

Thanks
Before you think about paying off the cards, how is your emergency fund looking? If you have anything less than $2,000 saved for emergencies, I would be more inclined toward keeping the $800.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you buy on these cards to amount to so much?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:07 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what did you buy on these cards to amount to so much?
OP said that in post #5..
Quote:
Probably that $2885 debt since that is the card I had to live off when I lost my job.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
OP said that in post #5..
Ah, okay, I must've glossed over that one.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
nfceast:

AS mentioned there are many ways to pay off:

1} pay off small balance first, then pay big balance

2} pay off higher interest charge first, then lower

3} pay down the larger open credit line so you have it for emergencies, then pay off small balance

4} pay down both at the same time...

There are probably a dozen more ways, but these are the basic 3 or 4.

Here's what I did in that situation, "snowballed it":

1} paid down/off the smaller balance FIRST. let's say minimum payment is $25, and I can pay $30 until paid off.

2} then added the $30 to the minimum payment of the bigger one {let's say$50,and I typically can pay $60}, and paid down the total of $90 {$30+$60} to the higher interest card.

3} if/when I could I made it rounded to the nearest quarter hundred dollar mark, making a $100 payment.

4} when I had extra $$$ I added it to it, even if it wasn't payment time, I'd call up and use the computer payment thingy and make the extra payment, reducing my interest outgo further, and reducing the balance quicker.

That worked for me on so many levels.

1} it gave me a "thrill" to pay off the lower card
2] freed up the total limit on the paid off card
3} allowed me to pay MORE than I was on the higher card reducing it's balance quicker, which reduce the interest outlay.
4} cleared the higher interest balance in NO TIME.

I also started putting $5/week into a savings account for emergency fund instead of paying it as extra above the $100 on the credit card to establish and build an emergency fund. Then when the cards were paid opff, I put the whole $100/m into the Efund savings account until I had $2500, enough to open a Money Market account at a higher interest rate paid to me at the Credit Union.

But that worked for me, might not for you.

YOu could ALSO take a second job moonlighting at McD's a few nights or weekends to pay it off FASTER, ADN THEN keep workign until you have a solid E fund established.......

Best of luck as you make your decision.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 01-05-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Before you think about paying off the cards, how is your emergency fund looking? If you have anything less than $2,000 saved for emergencies, I would be more inclined toward keeping the $800.

I had to live off the discover card a couple of years ago when I was fired and ineligible for unemployment.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I had to live off the discover card a couple of years ago when I was fired and ineligible for unemployment.
Ah, sorry to bring up bad memories.I'd still recommend prioritizing your emergency fund if you don't have at least a couple grand stashed away.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:39 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Ah, sorry to bring up bad memories.I'd still recommend prioritizing your emergency fund if you don't have at least a couple grand stashed away.
I was able to get the emergency fund $1500.00 and now I want to focus on elinintibg debt between now and 6/30

I couldn't do it last year because my apt building was sold and had to find a new place to live

Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM

469 posts, read 398,876 times
There is another factor, and that has to do with whether you care about increasing your credit score. A large part of your credit score is based on your credit utilization. If you get the account balances at less than 30% of the available credit it will increase your credit score. Take your balance and divide it by your credit limit to get your credit utilization %. If you can get one (or both) below 30% by applying the $800 appropriately, and your credit score is important to you right now (or in the near future - for example if you are looking to buy a car soon), you might want to do this. A higher credit score usually means you pay a lower interest rate on any new credit. The lower the credit utilization score, the higher the overall credit score. This is also why you don't close paid off credit cards - keeping them active with a zero (or small) balance does two things - decreases your credit utilization % and increases your credit history period (how many years you have had your active credit accounts). Both are significant factors in calculating your overall credit score.

If this is not a concern at this time, see above suggestions and take your pick. The difference in the actual account of interest to be paid on these balances at these rates is not really material if you are going to be paying them off soon, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance