Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
ok, but the point is working 40 hours or less is another ridiculous thing to say people should be able to live on on minimum wage.

MW are not going to get to work LESS than most people AND have a 2 bedroom to themselves. This is all nonsense.
The comparison is ridiculous. You made it, not me. I also never said anything about a 2 br apartment.

The thread was supposed to show people making it on min wage. It didn't. Everyone who answered either lived on min wage years and years ago, is subsidized by parents, or social programs, or is retired and has a low mortgage on a house bought years ago. People starting out right now, offered $8/hour, or whatever it is now, can not support themselves, except for maybe in some select low COL areas. Maybe.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The comparison is ridiculous. You made it, not me. I also never said anything about a 2 br apartment.

The thread was supposed to show people making it on min wage. It didn't. Everyone who answered either lived on min wage years and years ago, is subsidized by parents, or social programs, or is retired and has a low mortgage on a house bought years ago. People starting out right now, offered $8/hour, or whatever it is now, can not support themselves, except for maybe in some select low COL areas. Maybe.
I have friends on MW. They have SO's/ roommates, share cars, etc. That is the way it is. Or one can rent a room. If 'making it' means a single person working only 40 hours per week in their own apartment and car, correct, that is unlikely. And unrealistic.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 AM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have friends on MW. They have SO's/ roommates, share cars, etc. Or one can rent a room.
That is the way it is.
And that is the way it always has been as well.

Even years and years ago when rents were lower...
and even for those who had some family help available to them...

Quote:
If 'making it' means a single person working only 40 hours per week
in their own apartment and car, correct, that is unlikely. And unrealistic.
And that is the way it always has been as well.
---

What could be argued is that in any specific high RE cost place (Los Angeles, NYC, etc)
that a dollar could be stretched farther than today... that having only ONE roomie to share with
would have been required to hold it together rather than having two (or three) today...

But that argument comes up against the far deeper problem of total number of work hours available
at the MW level relative to the total number of people available at the MW level today. We have fewer.
Actually we have a lot fewer hours available.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-26-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It depends how we define "living."

MW was never meant to be a "family-supporting" wage. Especially not a large family. It was however, supposed to be enough to support a single person at a basic level or enough for two partners to support a small family.

The "Living Wage Calculator" says that a living wage in my area is $11.65. Sounds about right. Two people making that could afford a low end 2br or duplex around here and probably afford to keep 1 kid clothed and fed.

Living Wage Calculator
In 1968-the 70's and maybe early 80's. minimum wage DID support a family

You wanted more than basic necessities, you got an education or moved up in your current job

Many jobs that didn't require a College education back then, now do.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...family/2171338
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance