Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM

34,130 posts, read 83,126,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. In reality, though, either they spend a bigger percentage on rent or...
Not if they ever hope to have anything more in their lives beyond rent and ramen noodles.

Quote:
...there are two incomes. But not two minimum wage incomes.
HOW the income is earned/sourced is a distraction.

They (retiree's or college kids) either have that $1500+ NET every week or they don't.
If they don't... they can't afford to stay.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
... HOW the income is earned/sourced is a distraction.

They (retiree's or college kids) either have that $1500+ NET every week or they don't.
If they don't... they can't afford to stay.
Then they migrate somewhere cheaper.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Then they migrate somewhere cheaper.
You or I or most sensible people would.

But there are a LOT of people out there (here too) who believe it's actually okay to spend a whole lot
more on monthly housing costs. Some crazy more... even 2-3 weekly net earnings per month.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM

8,889 posts, read 6,917,733 times
Quote:
Nope. That's a different matter.

What they SHOULD be limiting the housing portion of their budget to is the point.
Should? Do you think household economics follows bumper sticker truisms?

There are many ways to do the right thing financially. For example, if someone pays nothing for transportation and puts that money toward housing, there's nothing wrong with that.

I just laugh when people think this stuff is that simple.

If you think a single person with extremely low non-housing expenses should only pay 30%, what should the limit be for someone with kids and debt? If you say 30% you're REALLY not using your head. Obviously they're not the same situation.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
In many southern states and rural areas all over America close to 40% of the population makes less than $25,000 a year. Some how they make it just fine. Here is how:

One USED car
Few out to eat meals
No travel
No Internet or Cable TV
Clothes at Goodwill
The Dollar Store for stuff
They pay very little in state or federal taxes
Few or any kids

(Live the 1950s lifestyle and you will do fine.)
I hope you speak from experience and aren't preaching down as someone who's got it made since you say "they" and not "we".

BTW, the '50's lifestyle doesn't include "few or any kids" because there wasn't a lot by way of reliable birth control...oh, I know, ladies just keep your knees together or fight off your husband?

Old 03-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
For example, if someone pays nothing for transportation...
You can't do that. You also can't not eat. And you can't not save either.

Quote:
If you think a single person should only pay 30%...
23% ...12/52 of their annual
That's including utilities too.

Quote:
...what should the limit be for someone with kids...?
Same.

I'm not saying it's easy or fun...
but if you want to have a chance at getting anywhere in life...
tighten the belt and make it work.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:44 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
You can't do that. You also can't not eat. And you can't not save either.

Same.

Some people are just surviving. And they do indeed "not save". They have no energy or reason to think about the future, just how they will buy food and keep the lights on today.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some people are just surviving.
Is that the parameters of the discussion?

The OP asked about "getting by comfortably enough"...

Old 03-11-2017, 04:18 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Is that the parameters of the discussion?

The OP asked about "getting by comfortably enough"...
True, Mr. Rational!

I wonder about someone I know. Worked in retail all her life. Not a manager, still after 35 years going in before a sale in the early a.m. to put out the signs on the sales tables; in other words, can't be making much more than MW. Her hours were cut to PT so she is retiring and told me that her pension will be $500 a month. She is taking another job as a janitor in a school. Her husband is in his 60s and lost a sales job about 5 years ago. Now he hawks solar panels/sets up appointment at a table inside Home Depots and Costcos. Not much coming in there.

No kids, but they have a 1200-sf house on a quarter acre and 2 older cars. I just stalked her taxes--just over 7k. Bought in 2000 so I think they must have a mortgage.

They seem to fit the OP's premise, and I wonder how they do make it on a low income. I know her husband told me that he cashed in his pension from the old job and got around $80k. He was all excited about that. I hope he invested somewhere, but I'm thinking not.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM

672 posts, read 701,662 times
Quote:

If I paid just 23% of my base net income including utilities for an apartment in my area it would be a drag on my quality of life. Roaches, questionable neighbors, section 8, frequent break -ins, more litter, and etc. I gladly pay 30-33% of my net income not to deal with that. I won't lose 1 second of sleep over it either. Most people wouldn't either if a 10% increase in expenses improves their quality of life in a noticeable way v. sticking rigidly to a guideline if their housing situation sucks.

Also people like to say just get a roommate. In some cases it works. I assume it works better in a high cost living area v. a low cost area as roommates are likely to have better paying jobs. If your low income and roommate with someone to save money what happens when they for whatever reason fail to pay their portion of rent or bail on you? It could put you in a world of hurt and possible mess up your credit. Low income with bad credit can often turn into a death spiral and take years to recover from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance