Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM

37,499 posts, read 61,523,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the military pays to move you, correct? Gives you time off to make the move? You have the same job when you get to the new place. Hardly the same as a fast food worker trying to move to another state.
People become entrenched in a location, afraid to move. The idea of moving can be a huge hurdle they can not push through. The idea is far worse than the act.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,715,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This assumes that there will even be work -in any meaningful numbers- for them to do.
So far, it looks like that won't be the case.

If the poor (the no/low skilled) continue to regenerate and increase their numbers...
they absolutely will have a far tougher time in the future as those jobs disappear even farther.
They'll mostly have themselves to blame for that reality.
Interestingly enough, a lot of highly skilled, white collar jobs are shrinking in numbers, too or being outsourced. It's not just "the poor" who will have this problem.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:48 PM

34,129 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
a lot of highly skilled, white collar jobs are shrinking in numbers, too or being outsourced.
It's not just "the poor" who will have this problem.
True. That population has problems as well.
Perhaps you should post about them in a thread about the travails of the skilled and educated?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
People become entrenched in a location, afraid to move. The idea of moving can be a huge hurdle they can not push through. The idea is far worse than the act.
Maybe, but that has nothing to do with your post or mine.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the military pays to move you, correct? Gives you time off to make the move? You have the same job when you get to the new place. Hardly the same as a fast food worker trying to move to another state.
Are you trying to say it's impossible for a fast food worker to move? I can't even count the number of times that family members and their friends have moved cross country when they were low income or without jobs. Many times they have just filled up their cars and hit the road. We know one person who didn't have a car and hitchhiked. And if someone is working in fast food, they probably can pre-arrange a new job in their new city at the same chain.

And none of them regret the 2-3 day challenge of moving away from their previous high cost of living area.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 AM

37,499 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Maybe, but that has nothing to do with your post or mine.
Sure it does

Everyone can strive for a comfortable level of income.

If you need to move to strive for success then you should move. For people earning Minimum-Wage, a possible option is to move to a lower COL area. Which will give you surplus in your budget, and you can begin to make improvements.

What stops people thinking they can move is they have become entrenched and afraid to move. The idea is far worse than the act.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:21 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,605,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Interestingly enough, a lot of highly skilled, white collar jobs are shrinking in numbers, too or being outsourced. It's not just "the poor" who will have this problem.
Yup, people forget that social darvinistic segregation principles American society is built upon are income and color blind, designated inferior groups are a must. if the poor of today will go extinct overnight, the only differerece - lower and middle class will take their place in trailer parks. Thus an invitation to bootstrap is wrong on many levels.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,920,496 times
just my 2 cents. If business builders and other market demand would stop over pricing the housing market, we could all be able to buy a house.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
My daughter lives on $10/hour.

Lives in our basement.
We pay for health insurance and health care.
We pay for utilities.
She eats our food.
Uses our internet.

She pays for
Car payment and insurance (older - 2006 car)
Cell phone.
eating out once in a while.
Some of her food.
Food and vet bills for her dog.
Some clothing.
Gasoline.
Student loan.

She rarely makes it from one check to the next without help.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm not sure about that. When I lived in a town with a maximum unrelated occupancy (two), the town seemed to think they would prevail if that issue ever came up.

I've never seen a group of poor people finance a home purchase; I would never be able to participate in such a group because any lender would look at my debt/credit and reject me.

So how are you going to buy a tiny house? Or the land it sits on?

Even if you built it yourself, the materials still require an outlay of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance