Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend who recently went to Seattle and he said that not only was restaurant food more expensive, but that the workers at large chains were getting $15/hr and there were still tip lines on the receipts.

Why?

Wasn't the whole fight for fifteen about a liveable wage? And now that liveable wage is baked into the price of the meal (he said it was 20-30% more than here), why is an additional 20% expected?

It's crazy. $15/hr to bring water and food from the kitchen to my table, plus you want another $20/per table?

My friend is going to be making just $13.25/hr as a medical resident, how in the world are we in a situation where a burger flipper is making more per hour than a doctor? And that's a burger flipper, not waitstaff that are demanding $15/hr plus 20% tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:35 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I was talking to a friend who recently went to Seattle and he said that not only was restaurant food more expensive, but that the workers at large chains were getting $15/hr and there were still tip lines on the receipts.

Why?

Wasn't the whole fight for fifteen about a liveable wage? And now that liveable wage is baked into the price of the meal (he said it was 20-30% more than here), why is an additional 20% expected?

It's crazy. $15/hr to bring water and food from the kitchen to my table, plus you want another $20/per table?

My friend is going to be making just $13.25/hr as a medical resident, how in the world are we in a situation where a burger flipper is making more per hour than a doctor? And that's a burger flipper, not waitstaff that are demanding $15/hr plus 20% tips.
No one can "demand" a tip. A tip is optional therefore not a wage. A restaurant is legally forced to pay $15/hr regardless. A tip is optional, depending on the attitude of the waiter/waitress. No one is pointing a gun to your head and making you pay a tip.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
1) Servers most likely are not being paid $15/hour even if those who are not traditionally tipped are required to be paid that much. There is usually a lesser amount that someone who is tipped can be paid.

2) Big chains have 'national' headquarters who design and issue various things to their franchisees/management at their various 'stores'/restaurants. One of those standardized things is likely to be the bills/receipts. Most places have not gone to paying their staff that high wage so the tip line remains (although I suspect it always will anyway unless tipping is outlawed).

Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
1) Servers most likely are not being paid $15/hour even if those who are not traditionally tipped are required to be paid that much. There is usually a lesser amount that someone who is tipped can be paid.

2) Big chains have 'national' headquarters who design and issue various things to their franchisees/management at their various 'stores'/restaurants. One of those standardized things is likely to be the bills/receipts. Most places have not gone to paying their staff that high wage so the tip line remains (although I suspect it always will anyway unless tipping is outlawed).
Seattle is an area where there is one minimum wage (well three right now, large business (15), small business(13), small business w/benefits(11)).

If they were making the $2.15 that a server in South Carolina is making then a tip totally makes sense, but these guys are making a living wage.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
I've noticed a little increase in some of the restaurants, but not by too much. We have a local high end pizza chain called Tutta Bella that has, to my knowledge, always included tip in its prices and servers always make it a point to let you know about their policy if you have never been to Tutta Bella before.

It's easy to get all flustered about a $15 dollar wage, but you are aware of our COL, right?

I could go into all the details, but it's not worth my time to get into an argument with someone who clearly doesn't live here nor understand the complexity of the issue.

Also, it's already been written about:

[url=http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/What-does-it-really-cost-to-live-in-Seattle-in-10970605.php]What does it really cost to live in Seattle in 2017? - seattlepi.com[/url]

Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
You dont have to tip before $15/hr... you dont bribe the service to do their job. If they dont, you complain to the manager because they are paid to work

This isnt a 3rd world country, corruption via cash bribes to get things done isnt required

Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:

Why?

There has NEVER been a requirement to leave a tip at a restaurant. Unless it's a large party and it's disclosed (which again imo is bs because if you get crappy service you're now tipping on crappy service)

Any establishment that makes tipping part of the food price is not going to get my business. At that point where tipping is just part of the bill there is no incentive to have better service. And not only that but I'm now paying more tax on the total price.

Tipping has really gotten out of hand with everyone just expecting it

Tipping is a gratuity for exceptional service. Over time it has become just standard fare to leave a tip regardless of the service you receive. It has become expected and you are looked down upon if you do not tip. You're seen as cheap or stingy.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-12-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I've noticed a little increase in some of the restaurants, but not by too much. We have a local high end pizza chain called Tutta Bella that has, to my knowledge, always included tip in its prices and servers always make it a point to let you know about their policy if you have never been to Tutta Bella before.

It's easy to get all flustered about a $15 dollar wage, but you are aware of our COL, right?

I could go into all the details, but it's not worth my time to get into an argument with someone who clearly doesn't live here nor understand the complexity of the issue.

Also, it's already been written about:

What does it really cost to live in Seattle in 2017? - seattlepi.com
Right, and my friend will be making $13 and change as a doctor. A doctor making less than a fry cook. Someone with eight years post secondary education who spends his days saving lives with no breaks and a working lunch, making less than the guy who can't remember not to put catsup on a plain hamburger.

And then the servers expect an additional 20% on top of that.

I get it if they were getting $2.15, but they aren't, they demanded and got $15/hr.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
It's not $15/hour yet, but waiters do get full wage.

If they add a "service charge," that plus the wage seems plenty except to reward great service.

If they don't add a service charge, tipping is still important but the amount can drop.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Right, and my friend will be making $13 and change as a doctor. A doctor making less than a fry cook. Someone with eight years post secondary education who spends his days saving lives with no breaks and a working lunch, making less than the guy who can't remember not to put catsup on a plain hamburger.

And then the servers expect an additional 20% on top of that.

I get it if they were getting $2.15, but they aren't, they demanded and got $15/hr.
Did you just glance over that entire article? No, I'm not letting you off the hook.

Read it.

And stop comparing apples and oranges.

Being a doctor is about as white collar as it gets. My husband is a PhD and we live in a beautiful hillside neighborhood full of other PhD, JDs and MDs... nobody is hurting up here....

Likewise your friend will make a ton of cash after they finish their training. After.

Service-level positions such as garbage collectors, janitors, housekeepers, childcare providers, hair cutters (talking Super Cuts, not salons) certified nursing assistants and technicians of various sorts (ex: pest control, air quality control, electronics), those people who do pedicures, dental hygienists, roofers and carpet installers, carpet cleaners, phlebotomists, delivery truck drivers, etc... these are jobs that have very little growth. None of these jobs are entry points into higher paying careers. That's what blue collar is all about, isn't it?

As with my neighbors, your friend will likely come to need the services of some of these individuals in the future. If your friend buys a home and needs work done, if your friend has a family and needs childcare, if your friend orders stuff from Amazon, needs their teeth cleaned or a hair cut.

We need these service providers.

Now go back and reread the article to find out why they're having a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance