Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM

63 posts, read 72,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was running some reports, I am a numbers guy and have every single expense dating back to 2006 recorded in Quicken But it's astonishing how much I have spent... here are some gems:

Average monthly over the last 65 months:

Eating out - $602
Groceries - $156
Vacations - $658
Rent - $1176
Motorcycles - $354
Fuel - $130
Entertainment - $56
Autos (including fuel, service etc.) - $347

Total average monthly expenditure - $3,918
Total average monthly net income - $6,672
Average savings rate: 41%

I still managed to save 41% of my income monthly which I think is OK, but could've done better. I think my expenditures are crazy, $750/mo. on Food? WTF? That is insane. I just eat out too much and spend a lot on alcohol (2-3 beers/day add up)

So, my case in point - I think I spend quite a bit but I still have a good buffer and no debt... I know people don't spend as much eating out, never take any vacations and have no hobbies, are DUAL income and yet are living paycheck to paycheck. What are they doing with their money?
Get lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:48 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Ooooookayyyyyy, I just GOTTA ask, what do you DO that earns you enough to have a 7 figure net worth?

I work with a bunch of people who make within a few cents per hour of minimum wage, several of whom have college degrees.
He peddles bull**** on Internet forums.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I noticed you used the past tense (worked). Perhaps if you start putting forth all that effort you used to have, you wouldn't be complaining daily while ignoring all the spot on advice you've been given. If excuses were nickels, you'd be a millionaire.

Shrug. Medical appointments consume a lot of my weekday 9-to-5 time. I have neither a car nor a license to drive one. I have one job with weird hours and an employer willing to accommodate weird schedules.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You don't pay for utilities? Auto/motorcycle insurance?

Sometimes "utilities" are included in "rent" and not paid separately. In these cases, rent sometimes appears to be excessive while being perfectly reasonable when considering utilities.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post

Who knew one could make 7 figures doing it?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Yep. The minute I see someone flashing their cash or talking about their extraordinarily high GPA or whatever, I know I am reading someone who is insecure and desperate for a little golf clap from the credulous among us.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
still save? And, really, how stupid do you have to be to spend $600/month eating out?
Its not that unusual.. $100/weekend and eating lunch out 2 times a week at $15 a pop ($10 + tax + tips) is already $520/month, add in a girlfriend (none of my ex GFs paid for anything) and it ups the averages tremendously. You can easily see how the expenses add up.

As for the intent of the OP, it wasn't targeted to put down the poor... I threw out some #s and said I could save despite my high expenditures but others who spend less but still earn the same or are dual income seem to complain that they are unable to save.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I grew up in a Westinghouse carton under the interstate. My brother and I had to share the same clothes, so both of us only went to school 50% of the time. Despite all that, at age 23, I earned my Nobel prize in Economics. They were torn, because another committee also wanted to give it to me for Chemistry. They had fistfights in Stockholm over which committee would bestow the honor on me.
You should have reminded the Nobel Committee that it's OK to award the same person two Nobel Prizes in different fields. After all, Linus Pauling got them, and I think there were others. :-)

Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
I grew up in a Westinghouse carton under the interstate. My brother and I had to share the same clothes, so both of us only went to school 50% of the time. Despite all that, at age 23, I earned my Nobel prize in Economics. They were torn, because another committee also wanted to give it to me for Chemistry. They had fistfights in Stockholm over which committee would bestow the honor on me.
Phenomenal post! Seriously well-crafted!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:

On the days you didn't go to school, you were westing in your Westinghouse? At least living under the interstate was an option for you. Where I live, freeway underpasses are being gated (!!!) to prevent people from living there. Sort of the opposite of a gated community, a gated NON-community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance