Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My mortgage payment is half my income. My electric bill in the winter is probably more than your rent. I have a budget and I stick with it. I am pretty frugal in lots of areas and over the years, I have accumulated savings because I do not spend more than I make. I also do not have debt.

That's doubtful, mortgage lenders use "ratios" to protect themselves from loans like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Why do people work for minimum wage? It can't be a lack of basic intelligence (I had a 2.2 GPA in BOTH high school and very mediocre college, and got a 780 on my SAT----hah-hah--seriously!). It's got to be do to something else???????

Because of my cruddy grades, I got an equally cruddy job as an Asst. Store Manager for a large grocery store chain----the stores were located in the ghettos----this was a very humbling and life changing experience. I literally mopped up homeless guys' puke. But I did my job----hustled my butt off and never worked harder in my life. I was around nothing but homeless people and welfare people 10-12 hours per day----5 days a week. People in perfectly good health with gobs and gobs of food stamps.

After getting ****e canned from that job----after being promoted to Store Manager within 14 months making ~75k in 1994--someone below me stole $1K and I got assigned the blame---I got a job as a Staff Auditor ----and was promoted twice in 9 years. Again, I busted my job---did whatever my managers asked of me---- I even canceled a vacation 3 days before it was to begin because a manager needed a favor---that got me a promotion.

Parlayed that job to an Auditing position at a financial services company ----kicked butt there---made friends with coworkers-----one of them left and recommended me for a higher job where I currently work----again, I've NEVER turned down a work assignment---I get ****e done----and go out of my way to make my boss's job easier.

I'm not rocket scientist---sometimes I sit here and wonder how the hellll it happended-----but it's a matter of a GREAT attitude and do whatever it takes.

I also married someone who makes slightly more money than I do----and is the hardest working person I've ever known.

The more I think about it---it's all about how you were raised----I come from farmers----who knew nothing but hard work from sun-up to sun-down------never accepted hand-outs.

Sigh...I was raised by druggies who handed me off to alcoholics. Half of my SAT (the math half) was almost 780.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sigh...I was raised by druggies who handed me off to alcoholics. Half of my SAT (the math half) was almost 780.
I grew up in a Westinghouse carton under the interstate. My brother and I had to share the same clothes, so both of us only went to school 50% of the time. Despite all that, at age 23, I earned my Nobel prize in Economics. They were torn, because another committee also wanted to give it to me for Chemistry. They had fistfights in Stockholm over which committee would bestow the honor on me.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-25-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 03:54 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
having kids is a choice, a very expensive one.. and taxpayers subsidize them quite a bit but those with kids will still whine. If you are blaming kids for not being able to save or have a life then why have them? Not only have kids ruining your lifestyle they are ruining the life of singles as well who have to subsidize them.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
How do people NOT have any money?

There are three reasons I can think of:

1. People who are unlucky
2. People who are stupid
3. People make their choice

For the first category: There are people who were born in the dirt-poor family/country, with several or more than a dozen of siblings and all the poor relatives. Those people could hardly have a chance to get good education, or to have opportunities to learn from the smart people how to improve or manage their life. And there are people who are unlucky because some bad things happen to their life, like health problems, children's problems, parents' problems...

The second category: There are people who can make lots of money, or born rich, but they are lazy, or spend more than they make. Some spends on gambling, some on booze, drugs and prostitutes. Some f*ck up too much and have too many children...

The third category: Some people like are very selfless. They would rather to use their money to help others even they become poor. Some people care for others more than money. You never know.

Some people are lucky, smart or work hard, know how to manage their money well and have a good life. Some are unlucky, or stupid and screw up their fortune and have a poor life.

There are all kinds of people and problems in the world. When you are not in other people's situation, you can never understand why they are what they are, why they are like that. And even they tell you; you still have a hard time to understand.

There are times I like to volunteer, to help those people, to contribute to some charity organizations. There are times I feel tired, just sigh and shake my head. Everybody is different. What can you do?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
having kids is a choice, a very expensive one.. and taxpayers subsidize them quite a bit but those with kids will still whine. If you are blaming kids for not being able to save or have a life then why have them? Not only have kids ruining your lifestyle they are ruining the life of singles as well who have to subsidize them.
Man, you just keep digging the hole don't you?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Children are expensive this is true but what would you do let them starve? Sterilize poor people? Thats not gonna happen your stuck with paying for it.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
This is dumb. Here are two situations where this mindset backfires:

1) Family 1 waited until both sets of parents were well established in their careers. After the second child was born Spouse A decided that daycare for two kids and the juggling of schedules wasn't "worth" the 2nd income, plus Spouse A wanted to spend extra time with the kids. Spouse B's income was sufficient with an additional 10% that could be used for long term savings. Everything is fine for 5-10 years, but suddenly Spouse B is stricken with a: devastating disease, disability, addiction (it happens...) or even dies. Or maybe there is even a divorce... Suddenly what was once a solid, happy family is no more...

2) Family 2 had kids early, Spouse A was just finishing up college and Spouse B was quitting their job to go to graduate school (this particular PhD program doesn't let you work the first semester). They live on a meager savings, and one or two part-time jobs.. as time allows or is permitted... A second baby comes right after the family moves across the country for a different program. Family 2 now have less than $5k to their name. Spouse A needs just a little help from WIC and various non-profit agencies and programs that help women or children in need. Spouse B keeps progressing in school. Eventually towards the end Spouse B is getting sufficient income and then, after five years, graduates and lands a middle class job. Two years later, Family 2 lands an upper-middle class job, five years later Family 2 pays off their mortgage, 6 years later Family 2 have a net worth of $1mm, and 15 years later Family 2 are financially independent.

Both situations happen. I would say situation 1 happens more frequently though.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Children are expensive this is true but what would you do let them starve? Sterilize poor people? Thats not gonna happen your stuck with paying for it.
Common sense would tell you that if you can't support yourself on a McD's or a lower wage job you certainly can't support kids. Another thought is, wouldn't you want to provide a good life for their children? How do you do that when you can't or struggle to support yourself. I don't know, maybe I'm different but I understood this even in my teens.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Common sense would tell you that if you can't support yourself on a McD's or a lower wage job you certainly can't support kids. Another thought is, wouldn't you want to provide a good life for their children? How do you do that when you can't or struggle to support yourself. I don't know, maybe I'm different but I understood this even in my teens.
Not everyone is as intelligent as you are and its going to happen we have to prepare for it. I agree with you by the way its stupid but you haven't exactly offered a alternative solution that is workable. I'm open to suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance