Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 12:09 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Please tell me you don't believe that all the child-free people out there are practicing abstinence. Many, many children were not choices. You can do the best to prevent it, but sometimes accidents do happen.
Yep, they do. I was the oops kid. Her first child was a boy. She wanted a daughter, but dammit, she had another boy. Third try, she got my sister.

I was, "What the hell, I'm too old to have another kid". It really wasn't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
And they'll have to eat their words which will be very, very bitter if one day they find themselves out of a job and unable to find another one which is very possible (at least one within the same pay range, or any job really).
Actually, the OP mentioned he's been saving 41% of his after tax income for the last decade. In another decade, he won't need a job at all. If he cuts back on the bloated expenses, he might be able to quit many years sooner...or possibly as soon as tomorrow if he is willing to make major lifestyle changes.

It does come across as a humble brag post...but it has some useful information if you overlook the ego aspects of it.

I do agree, though, no one knows the future. Complete security doesn't exist in this world. But people who save large chunks of their income certainly are stacking the odds in their favor.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-26-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Please tell me you don't believe that all the child-free people out there are practicing abstinence. Many, many children were not choices. You can do the best to prevent it, but sometimes accidents do happen.
Yep, they do. I was the oops kid. Mom's first child was a boy. She wanted a daughter, but dammit, she had another boy. Third try, she got my sister.

I was, "What the hell, I'm too old to have another kid". It really wasn't that bad. They appreciated me when I was older.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I see the current generation is NOT frugal on their addiction of High Cost Technology. None of this was ever a part of my 40 yr work history.

Living in warm climate CUTS utilities greatly. I'm talking so cal...no a/c and hardly any heat. Guess I'm fortunate..I know I'm fortunate. I've never bought into the gadgets....

Wonder why people still want to come to 40M population like CA.

No winter hardships for sure. A little shaking now and then but we handle it all.
People like to pick on the gadgets, but I really don't think they at the core of what's making people broke. I think taking out student loans for liberal arts degrees is a bigger factor than expensive gadgets. This is not to say people aren't blowing too much money on that stuff, because some people are. But I think old people pick on the gadgets too much just because they don't see them as a necessity....but that's because if you're old, none of your friends have the gadgets or use them the way young people do...so I think it's an unfair comparison. A lot of old people don't seem to get it that being able to use these gadgets/technology is a requirement for decent employment these days.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-26-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Not everyone is as intelligent as you are and its going to happen we have to prepare for it. I agree with you by the way its stupid but you haven't exactly offered a alternative solution that is workable. I'm open to suggestions.
We could start by restoring some kind of sanity to social norms regarding people having kids outside of marriage. Even some liberal researchers are saying as much:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.dd0929fdd190

The government has a limited role to play. It can support local programs and nonprofit organizations working to reduce early, unwed childbearing through teen-pregnancy prevention efforts, family planning, greater opportunities for disadvantaged youth or programs to encourage responsible relationships.

But in the end, Dan Quayle was right. Unless the media, parents and other influential leaders celebrate marriage as the best environment for raising children, the new trend — bringing up baby alone — may be irreversible.

Even Candice Bergen, whose character from the TV show Murphy Brown, mocked Dan Quayle admitted he had a point:

â€I never have really said much about the whole episode, which was endless,†the Associated Press quotes her as saying. â€But his speech was a perfectly intelligent speech about fathers not being dispensable and nobody agreed with that more than I did.â€

Candice Bergen says Dan Quayle was right

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What's the hurry to have kids? What's wrong with setting up a good financial foundation before taking on more responsibilities in life, and maybe even experiencing some travel. Having kids when you're young reminds me of the old fashion women marrying young, being barefoot and pregnant of the 50's generation.
The problem is that women do have a biological clock. Fertility for women drops rapidly after age 35.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
For "accidents" there is adoption and abortion. They're still a choice.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
My wife and I have sacrificed being settled financially for keeping some sanity.
Since being broke and chin deep in debt often increases depression, I'd say you've set up a false dichotomy here.

The Link Between Depression and Debt | Everyday Health

Old 05-26-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
LOL

You mean those kids who require their parents to spend money on them for our consumer driven economy to work? And who will grow up and work and spend their own money so the consumer driven economy keeps rolling along? Who pay taxes to support the older singles in retirement?

Yes, they sound like they are really ruining the lifestyles of those singles.
Honestly, when are people going to say "FU" to the "consumer driven economy"? It's not serving us any more. When will we tire of serving it, or using it as some sort of warped justification for spending money we don't have on stuff we don't need that isn't making us or our kids happy?

Makes. No. Sense.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
There's NO REASON to not be at least Middle Class. I graduated with a 2.2 GPA in both college and high school, and I have a 7 figure net worth before the age of 50.

However, I'm the first one in the office, I do as my boss tells me, I don't complain about unimportant things, and I married a hard-working and honest woman. I don't do drugs and I keep my body and mind in shape.

I have very little sympathy for poor people.
Well you dont live in the real world ... youve been blessed. People are poor for many reasons they cant rise above...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance