Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

i never had any issues with any bank in my lifetime. i may feel i don't need the products they sell or offer but that has nothing to do with them being good or bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Sure the wells opening of accounts was an entire mess but your question about good banks, from a customers perspective is subjective and often one's bad experience is driven by the same person's behavior i.e. Not having enough money in your account to meet the min to avoid fees or not having direct deposit
Yep. It's the same with cell phone companies, phone/cable companies, utility companies, etc. If you pay your bills on time, don't bounce checks, and do the normal things grown-ups do with their personal finances, you're unlikely to have much in the way of issues with the large corporations we all deal with.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i never had any issues with any bank in my lifetime. i may feel i don't need the products they sell or offer but that has nothing to do with them being good or bad
Same here. My most-used checking is with a bank that has branches in both the state where I live and the state where I work, so I use that for access to atms and my main checking needs. But they want a $300 minimum for a basic savings account that pays little interest, and you get slapped with a fee if it dips below $300, so no. I won't save where I get penalized for taking my own money, even though it isn't likely it would drop so low. The checking has a minimum of $100, and I'm OK with that.

We have choices.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we keep emergency money in local banks so a low balance is never an issue. it is pretty handy . we are headed for a photography trip to cuba so through our chase account they ordered us euro's at the branch across the street from us ..

cuba has a 10% tax penalty on dollars plus a 3% conversion fee .euro's have no penalty ,only a 3% conversion fee .

we get a free safe deposit box too as a perk .

Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. It's the same with cell phone companies, phone/cable companies, utility companies, etc. If you pay your bills on time, don't bounce checks, and do the normal things grown-ups do with their personal finances, you're unlikely to have much in the way of issues with the large corporations we all deal with.
Ding ding ding. I was once in that world due to a bad marriage choice. Always trying to stay one step ahead, never being able to pay things on time, bouncing checks just to keep up and not get services cut off. Life is MUCH better living responsibly, and my credit worthiness now reflects that.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CieloIn20 View Post
So, there's a big, national bank in the news again for doing terrible things to their customers, causing some of the customers to lose their cars.

If you hold accounts at the aforementioned bank, do you plan to stay with them?

Is there such a thing as a good, ethical bank?
Is there a better choice?

(The only other big bank I can think of is sort of America's flagship bank. And I don't care for them either.)
How do the banks cause customers to lose their cars? If you make the payments, you keep the car.

I've never had a problem with a bank. I've been with my bank for 20+ years. It's not perfect but then I haven't found one that is.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Depends on what you want from the bank. I have belonged to two credit unions (and still belong to one). But I use Wells Fargo for most of my transactions. The reason is that WF is much more competent than either credit union for meat-and-potatoes banking. WF gets it right, every time, which is more than I can say about either credit union. Just keep your eye on them, as you should with any business you deal with.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Could the op be more specific as to what problem they had?

I too use Wells Fargo and have never had an issue with them or any bank that I could not work out with a phone call to their corporate offices or by speaking to a branch manager before resorting to a phone call to the corp offices. As for what else I use, a credit union to keep some of my emergency money and I find Fidelity's checking account great since I can use their ATM card anywhere in the world and all around the U.S. and they reimburse the ATM fees.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
our business banks with chase. we have a smaller line of business that we run a separate payroll from on its own bank account. so someone made 3 fake checks from that account. bam, chase froze the account that we pay about 300 people on. i would like to take the opportunity to switch to a different bank for that payroll. anyone use TD for a business account? we have been with chase only for so many years, have no experience with anyone else to my knowledge.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Chase froze an account because of fraudulent activity? How dare they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance