Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times

Advertisements

airlines are very competitive , however you can sometimes transfer points to their airline partners and get better deals which are priced differently at times .

they have 11 travel partners you can transfer points to but they utilize all airlines and hotels .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Which airlines can you book through the chase travel portal, and are the fares competitive with what you could get using Expedia, or something like that?
their portal looks like any other travel search site. i believe the pricing is the same or similar to if you went on the airline's web site or expedia or something like that. but with the csr, you get an extra 50% point value so i think that works out to a very good deal especially if you are able to earn points at a 1.5/per dollar spent or better.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay, so i have decided to update my strategy:

personal online spend - chase freedom unlimited
personal physical card spend - sapphire reserve
business spend - chase ink

this will allow me to earn the maximum amount of ultimate rewards points and use them at an extra 50% value using the ultimate rewards portal.

so now i need to apply for the chase ink, and use it instead of the spg amex that i got for business. then i need to call chase to convert my freedom to a freedom unlimited.
chase ink is reviewing my application. this happened last time i got the card and was one reason why i got the spg card instead this time. i have too much credit available across my chase cards. they will probably make me divide up my chase credit between my cards.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

Other than that I need a good card for hotel stays...any recommendations? Something where the bonus would get me 4-5 free nights somewhere next year is ideal.
There's often an 80K IHG (Holiday Inn) offer floating around with fairly modest spend requirement. Annual fee waived the first year, and when the $49 fee does kick in at the end of the first year, you get a free night certificate you should bet far more value than that for it. I've also seen a 100K Hilton offer on a banner ad over at Flyer Talk.

Whether you get 4-5 nights from those points depends on what your travel plans are. Both programs have had their share of devaluations in recent years, though there are still some redemption sweet spots.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:53 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I have two cards. One gives me great points on dining, the other gives me great points on everything else. I used the appropriate card, and when the transaction settles, I pay the balance off immediately. When I accumulate enough points, I pay the balance with those first. I never carry over a balance.

I prefer to pay with cash only because I'm a numismatic and love pulling silver coins and rarer bills out of circulation...but the ease of using a CC has caused me to all but abandon this practice. I did however happen to have $5 on me today and bought a coffee and got myself a 1919 cent.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Since I travel a lot, (365 days in 2016) and LUV to fly... I'm pretty pleased with Southwest Cards (for USA and nearby routes). I also use a NO FEE Fidelity Card (assignable Points (various carriers) or cash / investment rewards). My UA card points I have had since 1980 covered our RTW trip in 2016.

(2) SWA card Premiums got me a 'Companion Pass'= well over 100 flights @ $5.60 each + within 2 yrs 300,000 accumulation of future points to burn (at as low as 4,000pts / route). We try to book high loaded flights, so bumps (free vouchers) are frequent.

Building houses and running a few businesses using CC perks grows points FAST (Since 1980's).

Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 AM

577 posts, read 1,001,101 times
We use:
Amazon card for all amazon purchases (5%)
Costco Visa for all restaurants (3%), gas (4%), and Costco (2%)
Amazon blue cash for all grocery(3%), may upgrade this to the 6% option, we get enough groceries.
Discover Double Cash (2%) for all other misc purchases.

I do plan on changing over to some credit card hacking once our kids are a little older and we can take advantage of the travel.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
We use:
Amazon card for all amazon purchases (5%)
Costco Visa for all restaurants (3%), gas (4%), and Costco (2%)
Amazon blue cash for all grocery(3%), may upgrade this to the 6% option, we get enough groceries.
Discover Double Cash (2%) for all other misc purchases.

I do plan on changing over to some credit card hacking once our kids are a little older and we can take advantage of the travel.
I think you are my favorite poster!!!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Discover (the primary card I use) allows me to use points at Amazon. I generally use the points to buy items off a wishlist of one of the dog rescues I support. It's a way for me to donate to a charity and get them something they really need with no out of pocket cost (other than the initial purchase to accumulate the points).

For my Chase Freedom I redeem the points and use them to pay the bill. Both cards are paid in full every month.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 AM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
good article on the holy trinity of credit cards , this is what we do

the chase :

freedom
unlimited
sapphire reserve

all used in conjunction to combine points

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/..._6081258347426
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance