Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times

Advertisements

Yes, I had a visa that was cancel when the credit union switched to master card. They just switched my account and I got a new Mastercard in the mail.

Costco fairly recently switched the company that services their credit card. I don't have a Costco credit card, but surely all of those people had cards canceled and reissued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM

106,714 posts, read 108,913,061 times
my fidelity amex card was cancelled when they broke ties with amex .

Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
I would imagine this happened because AmEx is dissociating themselves from the Plenti program, which may have been a money-loser or hassle for them.

This sort of thing happens all the time. Last year, Fidelity parted ways with Bank of America which held all Fidelity's MasterCard accounts. The BoA accounts were closed, and Fidelity's clients were switched to new Visa accounts with Elan Financial.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I've never had a credit card that was discontinued.
It can happen for a number of reasons. The issuing bank may decide the card isn't profitable enough to justify continuing it, or it's not attracting the particular customer mix they'd planned on when they first designed the card. Or the bank may lose its affiliation with a partnering organization (such AmEx did with Costco and Fidelity), or the partnering organization may go out of business (the Starwood hotel conglomerate has been purchased by Marriott, so it's only a matter of time before the Starwood Preferred Guest program is ended, and the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card will of course go away then).

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
Is the card that is being discontinued an Amex Optima card? I read somewhere that Amex is discontinuing the Optima card. That is, the Optima card is being discontinued for everyone, not just you. Amex has decided they don't want to have an Optima card anymore, so all Optima cards are being discontinued and accounts closed.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Is the card that is being discontinued an Amex Optima card? I read somewhere that Amex is discontinuing the Optima card. That is, the Optima card is being discontinued for everyone, not just you. Amex has decided they don't want to have an Optima card anymore, so all Optima cards are being discontinued and accounts closed.
I was told the Amex plenti card is being discontinued because it wasnt offering cardholders enough benefits. So he recomnended i apply for a Amex everyday card which had lots of benefits.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
He didnt give me a reason so i have to call back again.
So you called Amex when you got the cancelation notice but you didn't inquire as to why you got the notice or why the account was being cancelled? I find this more fascinating than the account getting cancelled

Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So you called Amex when you got the cancelation notice but you didn't inquire as to why you got the notice or why the account was being cancelled? I find this more fascinating than the account getting cancelled
He didnt know the reason so i called back today.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 PM

233 posts, read 191,175 times
I think the Plenti rewards program is being discontinued in its entirety. I got a similar message about making sure I use my Plenti points before they expire. Nationwide is no longer a partner, either.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
I think the Plenti rewards program is being discontinued in its entirety. I got a similar message about making sure I use my Plenti points before they expire. Nationwide is no longer a partner, either.
So my Plenti Card that I use at Rite Aid will be over too you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance