Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 PM

139 posts, read 101,830 times

Advertisements

Question for folks like me with little background on 401K, Roth IRA, etc.

My spouse will be switching employers. Her current 401k is with Vanguard (via her still current employer), the future employer (we are told) utilises Fidelity. She does not have much - probably less than 10K with Vanguard right now.

What are the recommendations, and best options going forward?
- keep the 401k with employer A as is
- move over 401k from Vanguard to Fidelity - if so, how to even start this (?), will there be any fees involved?
- move / create IRA/ Roth IRA - I know the terms, but don't have much knowledge on this, anyone who can shed some light on this will help us.

[Edit to add] Also, are there any external fees in any of the above? We are in our early/mid 30s.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:10 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
What are the recommendations, and best options going forward?
- keep the 401k with employer A as is
Possibly, if you like the funds you have and they are low cost, with no additional 401k administrative fees tacked on.

Quote:
- move over 401k from Vanguard to Fidelity - if so, how to even start this (?), will there be any fees involved?
You talk to the new employer and ask them. Some plans accept rollovers from other plans and others don't.

Quote:
- move / create IRA/ Roth IRA - I know the terms, but don't have much knowledge on this, anyone who can shed some light on this will help us.
This is easy and is probably your best option, IMO. If you have the money in a Vanguard fund, all you have to do is call Vanguard and ask to do a rollover. It shouldn't be that hard. The key is you need to know all of your login passwords so they can do it for you over the phone.

Quote:
Also, are there any external fees in any of the above? We are in our early/mid 30s.
I'm not 100% on this, but there shouldn't be.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Some employer plans allow you to roll over another 401k into theirs. Some do not.

If your new employer doesn't allow that, or you don't like the new fund choices, you can have fidelity create a rollover IRA and the previous employer 401k funds would go into that. You can buy any fund using the IRA.

Alternatively if you contributed to a Roth 401k the money would roll into the Roth IRA.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 AM

thank you for both the responses. We will follow up and post back within the next week or two.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:36 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Not to hijack - but my question is similar.

My wife has a small Vanguard ROTH 401k she had from a former employer. Does is make sense for us to just roll that into a ROTH IRA with Vanguard? She has a SEP IRA with USAA as well which is what she's using now that's she's self-employed. Any way to combine things without tax implications or do we just roll the ROTH 401k and keep them separate? Balance in 401k isn't even $9k and SEP is under $6k - seems like a waste to manage multiple accounts with that low of a balance.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

My wife has a small Vanguard ROTH 401k she had from a former employer. Does is make sense for us to just roll that into a ROTH IRA with Vanguard? She has a SEP IRA with USAA as well which is what she's using now that's she's self-employed. Any way to combine things without tax implications or do we just roll the ROTH 401k and keep them separate? Balance in 401k isn't even $9k and SEP is under $6k - seems like a waste to manage multiple accounts with that low of a balance.

I have the same basic question. I have 401(k), IRA, and a Roth 401(k) scattered all over the place and need to consolidate. I'm 60 and quickly approaching the point where I'm going to be taking distributions. I'm not interested in getting crushed with loads/sales fees and account service fees. I have an inherent distrust of retail finance. It's tough to get full information from web sites.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
No problem. Any response that the questions on related topics garners is helpful.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have the same basic question. I have 401(k), IRA, and a Roth 401(k) scattered all over the place and need to consolidate. I'm 60 and quickly approaching the point where I'm going to be taking distributions. I'm not interested in getting crushed with loads/sales fees and account service fees. I have an inherent distrust of retail finance. It's tough to get full information from web sites.
I think companies like Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, and Dodge & Cox are all quite straightforward and don't charge loads or other annoying fees (or at least very minimal).

Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think companies like Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, and Dodge & Cox are all quite straightforward and don't charge loads or other annoying fees (or at least very minimal).
Even though the other companeis might not have loads, I believe only Vanguard has low expense ratio stock index funds, but I have no personal experience with the other companies to know if that's a true statement. By far the best thing you can do is go with low cost stock index funds like Vanguard.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Even though the other companeis might not have loads, I believe only Vanguard has low expense ratio stock index funds, but I have no personal experience with the other companies to know if that's a true statement. By far the best thing you can do is go with low cost stock index funds like Vanguard.
No, not true. Fidelity's index funds are as cheap as Vanguard's.

T. Rowe Price has a few index funds that are admittedly overpriced. Dodge & Cox doesn't do index funds, because the only offer 6 funds, but they pretty much have the cheapest expense ratios after Vanguard...something like .52% for their stock fund, .63% for international/global funds, and .43 & .45% respectively for their bond fund and global bond funds.

All 3 companies have good actively managed funds which typically have below average expense ratios with Dodge & Cox being the cheapest. I know many index fund die hards think index funds are the only way to go. But it turns out most people are actually pretty good at picking low cost actively managed funds. Most of the assets flow to the better performing, lower cost actively managed funds, so the difference between index funds and actively managed funds isn't as large as people think, especially when measured on an asset weighted basis.

The area where people mess up most often is switching too much from one fund to another. That almost always leads to underperformance and is a problem with both index and actively managed funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance