Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
OP, now this may be a little nasty, not meant to be thst way, but you HAVE to be willing to change what you are doing. What you are doing is what got you to here, where you are now.

Except the ramen noodoes what i suggested IS healthy. A rotisserie chicken is healthy as the fat is drained away. The skin can be peeled away if you like. Meatloaf is red meat but a bit wont hurt you. Rice is the healthiest of tge starches, over bread stuffing or potatoes. They have done study and study after tests and test, and " organic " is not more healthy than regular. Even for veggies and meats. Tastes may vary, true a bit, but chicken is going to taste like chicken and broccoli like broccoli.
Maybe baloney isnt the best, but its made with chicken, pork or beef parts that arent prime is all. Substitute peanut butter, a healthy protein and low or no sugar jelly ( fruit) instead. Point was take your lunch to work, dont buy outside lunch. You can still eat healthy but inexpensively ( i hate the sound of cheap). Shop sakes freeze produce when cheap and in harvest season fir later. In socal you might be able to fibd most produce in season, though.

It seems most every idea from not just me, but every one, you have an excuse for why it wont work for you. You need to be receptive to other ideas outside your comfort zone and outside the box.

What you are doing isnt working currently, so you need to make changes.

Cut out cable except internet. You can stream tv if you need to, or go to library to get books to read or videos to watch.

Cut your utilities bills. Put on an item like a sweater if chilly, or take something off if hot. Use a fan instead of a/c.
Unplug appliances not in use, phantom use can eat into your bill.
Use solar rechargeable lights with switches on top in the camping section for light instead of burning electrical bulbs. One set of rechargeable batteries will last at least a year and will be cheaper than electric bulb usage.
Even a toaster can use phantom power and shpukd be unplugged.
Cook many meals at once instead of burning the stove every night for a meal. A microwave is cheaper for a few seconds than running stove fir a half hour.

Point being what youve been doing got you there, now try changing what you are doing for different results.

Also it shoukd reason that fund a job that utilizes you degree is in order, even if you have to move to another city. Unless your degree is in basket weaving 101 or lesbian dance theory, or a degree in extinct cultures and dead languages, you should be able to find a job. But you also have to be willing to move to an area that might offer as much as your current area, yet have a lower cost of living. Utilizing your degree to its best potential is best.

None of our ideas are meant to be permanent, just temporary. A 3 rd job is not ideal, nor is a roomate, but those two combined could put $10k in your pocket in a year. That ought to pay down SOME debt!! So you rent a room out for a year, work a 3rd job fir a year, guves you head start on debt. Then you can breathe easier once that roughly $10k is paid down.if one of your part time jobs end, at least youll have another one to fall back on.

Its just ideas some of us through experience have done, know others have done.

As someone upthread said, make a list of what you ARE willing to change and come back and tell us, we can then advise you better.

Until then if you keep your head in the sand and are unwilling to change things, youre going to continue to be in tye same boat bailing out water fir as long as you are stubbornly willing to until you change the boat or replace or repair it.

Best of luck to you...still

The issue with second and third jobs is it robs you of your time that you will need to do all this other stuff. Network for real jobs, apply for real jobs, build up your resume, go to networking events and trade shows, take classes for continuing education.

You have to be able to do these things if you hope to get ahead. I would move into a nice van with solar powered climate control and a shower that attaches exteriour to the van so you can pump and heat river water to shower. I would pay as little as possible (if at all) on your student loans, they are a boat anchor and you need these funds to pick yourself up with. Calculate out if it will even be possible to pay off the student loans in your life time without extreme deprivation to your quality of life for an excessive amount of time, if not then pay like $50 a month, its nearly impossible for any entity to get a garnishment order from a court as long as you are paying something.

You have to buy back your time and have the additional funds to do what you need to get into a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 02:24 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The issue with second and third jobs is it robs you of your time that you will need to do all this other stuff. Network for real jobs, apply for real jobs, build up your resume, go to networking events and trade shows, take classes for continuing education.

You have to be able to do these things if you hope to get ahead. I would move into a nice van with solar powered climate control and a shower that attaches exteriour to the van so you can pump and heat river water to shower. I would pay as little as possible (if at all) on your student loans, they are a boat anchor and you need these funds to pick yourself up with. Calculate out if it will even be possible to pay off the student loans in your life time without extreme deprivation to your quality of life for an excessive amount of time, if not then pay like $50 a month, its nearly impossible for any entity to get a garnishment order from a court as long as you are paying something.

You have to buy back your time and have the additional funds to do what you need to get into a better job.
Agreed. The van is extreme, but sometimes extreme is needed.

Many people take 25 or 30 years to pay student loans. The bain of their existence. Some take forever.

Building job resume may result in a better more stable job. Always be looking on indeed or LinkedIn or monster or the like.

If you always do what you always did youll always get what you always got.

Change something. Do something.

Best of luck to you

Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
early on in my career i had 3 jobs going on to make ends meet but i staggered them because i could . i needed to work smarter not harder to fill the financial holes .

my dad used to say give him a lazy man any day , the lazy man will always find the most efficient ,direct way to do something . well i am that lazy guy lol .

by day i was an hvac tech , a carefully chosen career at that time because i was getting obsoleted as a drummer by dee jays and i wanted something not easily obsoleted again . i started my own hvac company and did service at night on my own . i did not work every night but the nights i did that skill set brought in nice money . i could make a weeks pay at my regular job in a night or 2 .

the weekends were devoted to my drumming so not only did i get to do something i liked but the money was very good . the problem was without touring again there was getting less and less work to make it full time .

the idea of having so many different ways to earn money is to work smarter not harder . what i would not have done is left myself with the only option of working 3 low end unskilled jobs daily . that would have been insane to try to do .

today in retirement i still have multiple gigs going on . i teach motor controls and drives one day a week fora local factory automation distributor , my wife and i are photographers and sell photo's and files on our web site . i got back in to drumming again in a big way and devote loads of time to getting my skills back as i get ready to sit in with a very well know group on their 50th anniversary tour ( got wife approval , ha ha ha ) .

i would do anyone of those for free if i had to because i enjoy it . the fact i actually get paid is a bonus .

so when multiple jobs are needed you really need need to think things through , develop at least one skill that can at least bring in more than the low wage your main job does , even if you can't get enough work to do it full time , and try to select things you like or working so many jobs becomes a hardship, not rewarding at all and doomed to end in failure . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-28-2018 at 02:44 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 02:52 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I'm truly satisfied, and I'll tell you my solution.

I live on a mid-ange pension, and I have more than I will ever need in a modet 5-figure savings and inheritance, which I haven't touched.

How? I've reduced my accustomed lifestyle to what I can frugally afford.

I was doing fine, BTW, before I resettled in the Philippines for old age security/

Old 11-28-2018, 04:44 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
In order to make changes in your life, you have to be willing to make changes in your life. Every single suggestion that has been given here, you have refuted. Im sure these suggestions have been from people who have been there/done that. Me included.

I may have missed it, but are your 2 jobs in the field that your schooling was in? If so, why cant you find a good paying single job? And if not, why not?

You need to sit down and write down your monthly budget. Every single thing you spend. Every penny. Then write down what you make a month. Then see what you can cut down. Cutting expenses isnt forever; its just until you can get your debt paid down and your expenses in control.

You arent 30, you're 44. You are at the point in life where you HAVE to make a change, or it will be too late. Reading Dave Ramsey is a good start. Only you can make a change in your life. If you have an answer to every suggestion, then you arent interested in changing your life.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:03 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
“Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else...â€. If you’re not willing to make changes nothings going to change. Find a better job in a low cost of living area. Live like a broke college kid for 3 years while you start your life over. Only you got yourself here and only you can get yourself out...

Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
As much as people hate to admit it to themselves many regardless of their skills are just not desirable as employees. to them it looks like there are no jobs . in reality there are but they just don't make the cut

Old 11-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Just to get a feel for your situation, I checked some of your previous recent posts. These are just from Nov. 2018:

OK, so after a good amount of research but without breaking the bank either, I recently bought the Levoit Air Purifier with True Hepa Filter for $180:

OK, I bought 2 last things:

- pewter-colored crossbody leather bag

- essential oils diffuser for my Mom for a Christmas present

Yesterday, I completed looking around at the stores ONLINE that I wanted to order items from & emailed myself a list. So I think I did enough "damage" today! I ordered a total of 9 sweaters, a sweater dress, & sequinned tee from Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Macy's, & New York & Co.

Just last night, I went to a Cirque du Soliel performance & wore black pants, a dark blue sparkly top, big rhinestone earrings, & a metallic clutch.

Well I don't know what other people here know, but I'm a pretty big shopper at some select stores & I know how much what I buy sells for normally, so I know right away if it's actually a good deal or not.

I'm doing it ONLINE. I don't want to be out in that madness.

- At least a 42" TV if I needed one, but I don't at this time

- Black (leather) knee-high boots...mine have gotten too uncomfortable

- Streamlined, non-chunky black sweater

- New York & Company is having a fabulous sale, so I'll probably get at least a few things

- Statement, yet simple necklace and earring set

- Silver leather bag & shoes if I can find the right ones

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks so far guys. These may be about the fanciest I've come across & they come in different heel heights, but still don't know how comfy they are until I try them on:

https://jrenee.com/shop/shoes/special-occasion (these are $100 shoes)

There was a time I was on the hunt for the right leopard-print booties, a hot pink knit scarf, & camo pants/jeans for ages & I finally found them.

NOW, I'm getting obsessed w/ finding a silver sweater & hobo-style leather purse, so if anyone finds some good ones, please let me know!

I just ordered 2 of these Express sweaters in Brigade & Ultra Violet:

https://www.express.com/clothing/wom...LTRA%20VIOLET/

They're 50% off PLUS I had $15 in rewards PLUS another $15 off coupon, so got both for $40 & change!

I'm not buying much this fall. I bought about 8-10 sweaters (that are still in style) LAST FALL that I still never got to wear yet because it never got cold enough being in Southern California like I am.

I did get this festive bag. I really needed a fancy-occasion bag! The size is just right and I can't wait to use it when I go to all the musical performances and this other event I'm going to these few months!

https://www.zara.com/us/en/striped-m...508&v2=1074708

Also got this great blouse with colorful iridescent, ombre polka dots:

https://www.express.com/clothing/wom...4/color/BLACK/

(sunglasses) I have a total of about 25-30 pairs, I'd say. The priciest pair I have retailed for $450 for Tom Ford, but I got them on Amazon for less.

I like paying $50 - 85 normally for a pair. I've paid about $125 for a few pairs. I'd pay less if they were on sale from being pricier because I don't want them too cheap originally & you DO get what you pay for!

(handbags) I can't count them right at this moment, but I'd say 15-22 to give a good guess.

(answer to how much clothes do you have)

I haven't counted each article of clothing, but here's what I have:

Back at parents' house from what I recall...haven't looked in a long time:

- one wall closet 1/2 full
- 1 or 2 garbage bags full
- walk-in closet moderately full

At my apt:

- wall closet w/ 2-4 articles of clothing on each hanger & plum full!
- portable closet 1/2 full
- dresser of 4 drawers quite full

I've bought a TON of lipsticks in the last several mos & I'm honestly pretty happy w/ them all, but some better than others. I'm obsessed w/ liquid lipsticks & I like highly pigmented ones & my favorite finish is satin aka demi-matte. I'll wear matte & glossy finishes too sometimes.

I've been into REDS a lot too lately & have about 15-20 different brands of reds. First, know if your skin is warm ( yellow aka golden) or cool (aka pink). Pick warm colors for warm skin, cool tones for cool skin, but hey, wear whatever you want really! I'm personally golden-toned, so yellow reds look better than blue reds on me, but I have bought one or two blue reds & it's not that they look terrible.

This isn't just a coincidence due to your username, but I want to see more HOT PINK or fuschia colored clothing. I ordered some Banana Republic hot pink pants & they're arriving soon:

The OP is delusional. You can't spend like you are a Rockefeller and then moan and groan that your part time job isnt paying your bills. You have got to stop spending. NOW. If you dont get your spending under control, you will find yourself living in a box under a bridge. This is a serious situation, and the clock is ticking.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:51 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back. Thanks again guys. I know changes have to be made here & the sooner the better. That's why I've been wanting something that makes RESIDUAL income as well because just making money when I'm working isn't cutting it. I can work up to 14-16 hrs a day, but that's not much of a life to keep up forever.

Re: roommates, I know they help alleviate bills ALL on me, but I've never had roommates & don't want to. I don't even know anyone who'd room w/ me, so it would be total strangers & in this day & age, I can't live w/ someone I don't know & just hope that I can trust them because I won't. I won't be able to close my eyes at night w/o wondering what they're up to.

I do plan to search for threads on here how others dealt w/ their student loans. I don't have any kind of government or city job that qualifies for the loan to be waived as I've seen that being said on the internet from time to time. I don't care at this point if I have to make SMALL payments forever. I'll do that just as long as the payments I can pay are doable & not some astronomical amount.

I should just sell on eBay like a lot of other people. If they can learn to do it & do it successfully, I should be able to, but I don't have any room here to store anything, so I'll need a drop shipper.

In response to the eating beans, rice, ramen, etc., I know those are cheap foods. I personally need to eat more healthy than that & stay away from carbs as much as possible. Organic produce & a little organic meat aren't that expensive & much healthier.
It looks like you have two choices - do something about your situation or do nothing about your situation. It will not get changed by some fairy godmother.
Sticking your head in the sand and insisting that you have to have this that or the other and jumping from excuse to excuse got you where you are. Time to put on big girl panties and face reality.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:51 AM

Actually, just with the roomful of clothes at your parents house, you've got a nice little eBay gig right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance