Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:31 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Apparently, when he hired a company to fix his computer, it was done and then he got a call that they have to refund him some of the money. H gave them information for the refund and that was the fraudulent part and the CC take issue with that.

I don't know what will happen now. H had to provide police report number to the bank so they can start an investigation and this was provided today.
So he really did do business with the company that made the charge. He didn't recognize the name of the company so he could just call and talk to them?

If they overcharged him by accident, they would simply refund part of the credit card charges.

Or, is this one of those scam cases where Bob with a foreign accent calls and says he needs to fix your computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So he really did do business with the company that made the charge. He didn't recognize the name of the company so he could just call and talk to them?

If they overcharged him by accident, they would simply refund part of the credit card charges.

Or, is this one of those scam cases where Bob with a foreign accent calls and says he needs to fix your computer?
I had the same question. It sounds like these folks might be the victims of a cascading scam. I hope the OP can find someone to advocate for them who understands what has happened and how to fix it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
Awaiting with bated breath for more details about this case to unravel.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So, hypothetically, if I were to hand my cc to a friend and tell them to go shopping but to limit the total to $30.00 and then they racked up $1200.00 in charges, I could be SOL for the extra $1170 even if I had enough solid proof to press criminal charges?
Yes, and you would have to pursue damages in court to get your money back from your friend.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Oh wow. I never even thought of that...I get those scam calls all the time. Yeah that is a different story for sure. A scam, but not what I would call credit card fraud.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:58 PM

497 posts, read 423,238 times
Just to clarify, my husband used an IT service and he got scammed. Apparently an employee took his credit info to use for their own and took out unauthorized amount of money and services my husband didn't need because that was already done three months ago.

We continue to feel stressed about it until the cc say we don't pay for that amount. If we are forced to pay, I think we have to file bankruptcy because I can't pay that amount with my income or even meet the minimum payment amount. Why should we have to pay for something we didn't authorize because some employee stole his cc information for their own personal use?

This is a nightmare for us. I am worried because there is no way we would spend that kind of money when we don't earn enough to make that purchase. It is like buying a house for 1 million when you earn $20,000 a year. There is no way with that income you would spend that much or be possible to purchase something that expensive.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Just to clarify, my husband used an IT service and he got scammed. Apparently an employee took his credit info to use for their own and took out unauthorized amount of money and services my husband didn't need because that was already done three months ago.

We continue to feel stressed about it until the cc say we don't pay for that amount. If we are forced to pay, I think we have to file bankruptcy because I can't pay that amount with my income or even meet the minimum payment amount. Why should we have to pay for something we didn't authorize because some employee stole his cc information for their own personal use?

This is a nightmare for us. I am worried because there is no way we would spend that kind of money when we don't earn enough to make that purchase. It is like buying a house for 1 million when you earn $20,000 a year. There is no way with that income you would spend that much or be possible to purchase something that expensive.
If it happened that way, then you are definitely not liable. I don’t even understand why this is an issue unless the CC companies have different rules in CA.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
something fishy here.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
This just happened and is all new and hard to digest all of this. My husband got his credit card bill in the mail today and saw substantial amount of money owing that he did not purchase. He rarely uses his credit card. He went to the bank immediately and they told him to go to the police. A bank staff member and my H drove to the police and made a report and there will be internal investigation at the bank.

My H was told that he will still have to pay the fraudulent amount and we do not have that kind of money. We are so distraught and can't sleep tonight.

H is unemployed and I can barely pay our rent, food and very basic bills. We don't have assets.

Can we get some advice? Will we have to file bankruptcy because we cannot pay that amount of debt? The other trouble is that I have to work and can't make calls. I don't trust H to be in the right place because he is having some medical issues and cannot count on him on asking all the right questions and see if he can complain to the bank and say we can't pay that kind of money.

I also have concern. I noticed something funny with my bank card and I know I have to go to the bank and explain the situation and get a new card. (My husband got a new card also)

I really need some advise on what can be done. I don't want to file bankruptcy because that also cost about $4,000 to pay a trustee. We don't have that kind of money.
My only advice is, Freeze your credit ratings, today.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,404,409 times
Quote:
Hello everybody! Thank you for your sweet concerns and your comments. It was not an easy day.

My H went back to the bank to try to sort things out. He also went back to the police station to give more details.
Apparently, when he hired a company to fix his computer, it was done and then he got a call that they have to refund him some of the money. H gave them information for the refund and that was the fraudulent part and the CC take issue with that.

I don't know what will happen now. H had to provide police report number to the bank so they can start an investigation and this was provided today.
This is sounding more and more like a tech support scam. Did your husband visit and hire a local IT repair shop? In that case, it could be a crooked employee that has stolen his credit card information.

But, if he responded to a popup ad, or a phone call saying that his computer needed repair, it is dead certain to be a scam. One of the big problems with scammers is that once they know you are an easy victim, they will come back to you again and again with additional variations on that scam and others. Furthermore, they make extra money by selling your information to additional scammers.

One common variant of the tech support scam is the follow on "refund" scam. See https://www.systemsupport.com/tech-support-scams/ That will often be followed by the "law enforcement" scam where they pretend to be a security company or law enforcement official who will need your help going after the scammers, after you provide them with additional banking and/or credit card information of course.

Please be careful and educate yourself about how scams work, because you will be seeing more of them. https://www.bbb.org/scamtracker/us/ is a good study resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance