Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 05:36 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My only advice is, Freeze your credit ratings, today.
Freezing your credit doesn’t eliminate ones access to your credit card if they already have the number fwiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 07:30 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Freezing your credit doesn’t eliminate ones access to your credit card if they already have the number fwiw
Credit cards are minor stuff. You don’t want your ID stolen. It can be a hassle. If a person falls for the credit card scams, odds are they will give the scammers more info. Freeze your credit.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:00 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
' Under the FCBA, your liability for unauthorized use of your credit card tops out at $50'

Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,740,106 times
OP mentioned in another thread that her husband was having health problems and the doctor said he was an alcoholic. Is it possible that he could have actually agreed to these charges? Or used the credit card to buy alcohol secretly? Might be related somehow.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:14 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP mentioned in another thread that her husband was having health problems and the doctor said he was an alcoholic. Is it possible that he could have actually agreed to these charges? Or used the credit card to buy alcohol secretly? Might be related somehow.
Yeah something is not quite right here. You have an unauthorized charge, at least for me, I call the credit card company and they charge the company back so fast your head will spin, and then they give me a new credit card with a new number. That's how AMEX works, for some credit card companies you might have to go through a few more hassles but it never requires a police report or anything of this magnitude and complexity. Regardless your liability due to credit card fraud is protected by law, at least in the US - that's the great thing about credit cards.

Now according to the OP additional info it seems to also involved some IT services that may, or may not have been, authorized by the OP's husband. If it was a scam, again should be easy to resolve if...IF it was indeed a scam. This simply should not be a problem issue and easy to fix. But I don't think we are getting the full story here....

Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
I don't get it. I've had cards shut down for fraudulent use quite a few times over the years. They reverse the charges and I have a new card in a FEDEX envelope a couple of days later. If some bank tried to pull this on me, I'd be calling my state attorney general's office to get a consumer affairs lawyer onto it. Credit cards get cloned all the time. Any time you use it, somebody can grab the account number, expiration date, and 3-digit security code. You're legally protected against this.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So he really did do business with the company that made the charge. He didn't recognize the name of the company so he could just call and talk to them?

If they overcharged him by accident, they would simply refund part of the credit card charges.

Or, is this one of those scam cases where Bob with a foreign accent calls and says he needs to fix your computer?
The last paragraph:BINGO.

I keep getting calls saying the computer company was ordered to refund money and close down. A computer company tied to Microsoft of some sort, who was ordered to pay money back to people for fixing their computers.

It IS A SCAM torontobase!!!!!

He got caught and now most likely WILL have to pay the charges, unless they can catch the criminals, which are probably long gone in another country by now.

Best of luck to you. Best phone answer to ANY TRANSACTION OVER THE PHONES IS: IM SORRY, I DONT DO BUSINESS OVER THE PHONE. MAIL ME ANY FUNDS I AM OWED, YOU ALREADY HAVE MY ADDRESS. and DON'T give them the address either!!!

You are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

But because he authorized it, they can make him pay, regardless of whether he thought it was a refund or not.

Hopefully the police report will help get him out of it.
But i doubt it, he may be stuck with it.

Best of luck to you....

Last edited by galaxyhi; 03-05-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 01:09 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I keep getting calls saying the computer company was ordered to refund money and close down. A computer company tied to Microsoft of some sort, who was ordered to pay money back to people for fixing their computers.

He got caught and now most likely WILL have to pay the charges, unless they can catch the criminals, which are probably long gone in another country by now.

Best of luck to you. Best phone answer to ANY TRANSACTION OVER THE PHONES IS: IM SORRY, I DONT DO BUSINESS OVER THE PHONE. MAIL ME ANY FUNDS I AM OWED, YOU ALREADY HAVE MY ADDRESS. and DON'T give them the address either!!!

But because he authorized it, they can make him pay, regardless of whether he thought it was a refund or not.

Best of luck to you....

But this should still fall under the Fair Credit Billing Act and be a relatively simple fix:
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...g-act-1282.php

OP did your husband sign something to authorize a charge?
Did you wait over 60 days to report?
Do you have some sort of history of misuse of your credit cards?

I still think something else going on here...

Old 03-05-2019, 04:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Best of luck to you....
The credit card company has an obligation to investigate it, he was charged for something that he didn't buy, that is fraud. Credit cards provide fraud protection. A few years ago while visiting family I stayed in motel for a week, I checked out and signed the statement of charges that showed the dates I had stayed and the rate. The charges were put on my credit card. When I got my credit card statement I found that I had been charged for two weeks rather than one I called the motel thinking it was an innocent mistake and was told that I was wrong that I had stayed for two weeks. I called my credit card company, they called the hotel and asked for proof of my two week stay. The proof they provided was a bad copy of statement I signed with the dates changed. The credit card company agreed that it was forged and reversed the charges.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah something is not quite right here. You have an unauthorized charge, at least for me, I call the credit card company and they charge the company back so fast your head will spin, and then they give me a new credit card with a new number. That's how AMEX works, for some credit card companies you might have to go through a few more hassles but it never requires a police report or anything of this magnitude and complexity. Regardless your liability due to credit card fraud is protected by law, at least in the US - that's the great thing about credit cards.

Now according to the OP additional info it seems to also involved some IT services that may, or may not have been, authorized by the OP's husband. If it was a scam, again should be easy to resolve if...IF it was indeed a scam. This simply should not be a problem issue and easy to fix. But I don't think we are getting the full story here....
Yeah, that just doesn't happen on C-D. Agreed with other comments, also in my experience.

Happened to me once years ago for about a grand, and the issuing card bank (my Mastercard) caught wind of what was going on within about a day. Long before I'd have seen it. Card canceled, new one came to me in a couple days. Ditto my debit card, on those not too often time I use it for cash transactions. There's been fraud on that a couple times, never cost me a Yankee Dime as they say. In fact for awhile there that debit card had to be changed out about every 18 months like clockwork, per my records. Hasn't happened in awhile, they must have somehow wised up. Always cat and mouse, thieves vs. banks.

If a drunk is authorizing charges while incapacitated, that's a criminal matter and good luck with all that. I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to actually listen to some stuttering idiot on the phone long enough to give out any personal information, but ref. P.T. Barnham's favorite saying for that. If they didn't work, scams wouldn't exist.

No one's cracked my AmX Platinum yet, which is good given the high credit limit, but their security is also on the ball I've noticed with a couple of c. $4K transactions I made a year or two ago that were declined. My bad for not getting a pre-auth, I discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance