Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
I don't know.
Banks insure us so we have our money back.
So this is for the issue where your bank account was emptied out - that's good! Did they tell you how and why? Was it from your debit card that you said had something strange going on earlier in the thread?

Now what about your husband's credit card? What's new with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
I don't know.
Banks insure us so we have our money back.
You better make it your business to know, because with Identity Theft this is just the beginning of your problems.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
I was a victim of a tech support scam. I authorized an $700 charge on my credit card (for an alleged cleanup of my "severely compromised" Yahoo mail account by a fraudulent Yahoo tech support/fraudulent company that allegedly did security for Yahoo). Even though I authorized the charge, the credit card carrier (Citibank) deleted it, because the charge was fraudulent.

I have had my credit card charged fraudulently twice before - once only about $60 at some restaurant, and once for about $1,500 worth of men's clothes. The first time I caught the problem looking at my monthly statement, the second time the bank notified me (because I was on the West Coast, and the charge was made in NYC, and they have a way of seeing that). I was not liable for paying anything in any of the cases.

If the credit card carrier gives you any trouble, cancel the card, and get it with a different bank. I have had a Citibank card since I think 1986, and have been fairly satisfied with the services (and have been very satisfied with their handling of fraudulent charges, obviously). I have had an additional card (from Bank of America) for a while, specifically for foreign travel because BofA does not charge foreign transaction fees, but the customer service seemed to be horrible (difficult to reach a live person on the phone during regular business hours, and impossible after hours), so I got rid of it, figured it was better to deal with a reliable credit card carrier and pay them foreign transaction fees, than pay no fees and get what I paid for in case of trouble...

Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Quote:

Sorry, I'm stressed now and I have to get repeat of medication and that is costly. Too much for us right now.
I agree something is off here.

The OP is in Canada. I don't want to get off on a tangent but doesn't Canada have very low/no copays for medications?

The OP has not answered if this was a debit or credit card.

OP-How much were the fraudulent charges? The amount would help add context to your situation.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:13 AM

497 posts, read 423,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I agree something is off here.

The OP is in Canada. I don't want to get off on a tangent but doesn't Canada have very low/no copays for medications?

The OP has not answered if this was a debit or credit card.

OP-How much were the fraudulent charges? The amount would help add context to your situation.
You are absolutely correct. You don't know Canada.

If you read the entirety of this thread, you would have your answer on the cards.

To me, it is a lot of money.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. You don't know Canada.

If you read the entirety of this thread, you would have your answer on the cards.

To me, it is a lot of money.
I reread all your posts and still do not see the $ amount.

I also do not see where you confirmed if this was a debit or credit card. You have stated credit card but some of your posts indicate it may be a debit card. The process is different depending on the type of card.

We are all just trying to help......

Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM

151 posts, read 107,678 times
Just to clarify, in Canada prescriptions are paid for by the patient unless the patient has insurance of some kind.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
Just to clarify, in Canada prescriptions are paid for by the patient unless the patient has insurance of some kind.
Thanks. I did not know that.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You have to help prove they're fraudulent, is the thing. You can't just say it and be believed.
You don’t have to prove anything, the banks conduct their own investigation.

In the meantime, you get a full reimbursement of the fraudulent charges and a new credit card/debit card issued to you.

You must deal with some with some bad banks. This is a matter of customer service and if a bank made you “prove they’re fraudulent” then they would be losing customers left and right.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
I’m getting frequent calls from an electronic voice about “my refund” for computer tech services that I already paid for. The IRS is demanding the company close and refund the amount I paid, and they need my credit card number to give me my refund.

I know it’s a scam, and we certainly didn’t purchase this coverage, but, I also have a husband who has developed a seizure disorder recently and his meds are, to use his words, making him stupid. I could totally see him start to worry and fuss over this. And then turn around and try to help and give them the credit card number.

He’s terrified to stop working, and no matter how many times I tell him we would be fine to retire, give him a breakdown on our funds, he goes back to we’ll be poor like the Waltons. And living in the streets.

Today I even wrote out our figures and showed him our net worth. An hour later... it’s the Waltons again.

Man, I hate the Waltons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance