Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 04:17 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fidelity reports them on 1099D …
they show as qualified dividends so they are taxed at a lower rate.

interest is not
Double check that, I’m fairly certain they’re dividends but not qualified dividends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 04:34 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Double check that, I’m fairly certain they’re dividends but not qualified dividends.
i would think you are correct but they do read qualified ..which surprised me

Old 04-11-2023, 04:45 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,063 times
Quote:
i would think you are correct but they do read qualified ..which surprised me
According to iShares they were ordinary, not qualified. Fidelity’s looking at a huge mess if they reported them as qualified.

https://www.ishares.com/us/literatur...ry-stamped.pdf

Old 04-11-2023, 08:41 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Thanks.

So you don't buy actual treasuries; you buy VGST, SHY and TLT.

Have you tried linking your Fidelity account to Treasury Direct?
I have not attempted to link my Fidelity account to Treasury Direct, either. However, I have both a Treasury Direct account and a Fidelity account. I have chosen to purchase "new issue" Treasuries through Fidelity. It's easy and Treasury Direct is not particularly user-friendly. Although I have no intention of selling them before they reach maturity, that is an option on Fidelity that is not available on Treasury Direct. I followed Harry Sit's step-by-step instructions for my first purchase.

https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-...ey-market.html

Old 04-11-2023, 09:01 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
Treasury Direct is an absolute nightmare site. I've capped my I-Bonds the last two years. You're able to put federal tax returns on top of your 10k yearly cap too. I did that this year and will likely do so as long as I-bonds hold over 5%.

I've learned to manage the site to purchase several short term notes this year. I'll take the interest hit over dealing with this chaotic market right now. I'm set to make over 1k in interest over the next three months doing nothing. I ate it hard in January so the interest will offset capital losses.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:32 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have not attempted to link my Fidelity account to Treasury Direct, either. However, I have both a Treasury Direct account and a Fidelity account. I have chosen to purchase "new issue" Treasuries through Fidelity. It's easy and Treasury Direct is not particularly user-friendly. Although I have no intention of selling them before they reach maturity, that is an option on Fidelity that is not available on Treasury Direct. I followed Harry Sit's step-by-step instructions for my first purchase.

https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-...ey-market.html
That's a good article on how to buy treasuries through the major brokers. I don't have a treasury direct account, I buy new issue treasuries from my Schwab account for no fee. It is pretty easy and like you, I hold them to maturity. I have a mix of CDs and treasuries, but as the CDs mature over the next year, I am going to buy more new treasuries instead of CDs.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:10 AM

as my cds are coming due i am rolling them into the 1-3 year treasury bond funds shy and also some in to vanguard vgsh.

the other components of my portfolio have been increasing in value at a faster rate so i balance it out adding more of this component.

my portfolio uses a barbell approach on the fixed income side .

the fixed income side is 25% in long term treasuries and 25% in short term treasuries /cash instruments. .that equals about the interest rate sensitivity of having all 50% of the money in an intermediate term fund but it offers more flexibility.

so holding bonds to maturity wont work well for me without a lot of bond trading since i need something that stays in the long term bond range all the time .

TLT has a pretty steady duration of about 17-1/2 years which works well . but it takes a lot of bond trading to maintain that duration if i tried to do it . .so funds are easy to use in this case . shy has a duration of 1.86 years , vanguards version is 1.89 years

the short term bonds are up 1.73% so far ytd

tlt up 8.29 ytd , so the fixed income side is up 5.00% ytd when combined

a 5% cd is up 1.25% ytd , a 4% cd bought earlier in the year is up 1% ytd

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-12-2023 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-12-2023, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We only keep a few thousand in the bank, most of our money is in credit unions. Either way, where else would we put it our readily available money? Having cash at home is not going to make it easy to pay the house payment, taxes, or other bills. It would also be contributing to the failure of the banks to take out our money.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:26 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
no , i don’t use treasury direct ..

if i did i would try to link it through my fidelity account

i much prefer the convenience of vgst , shy and TLT .

the interest is also reported as dividends which help tax wise since i have a lot of carry over to use from when we closed the real estate LLC

i also use only fidelity treasury money markets that use no repos like fdlxx
Regarding the bold above, is that a typo? I don't find a fund "vgst."

Old 04-14-2023, 01:30 PM

yep typo

vgsh. vanguard short term treasuries , it is like shy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance