Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:47 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,613,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe both of you have a hard time following but when I questioned his statement he had replied to Mathjak. The context was not about convenience stores.

The statement is “most retailers” not small mom and pops, not small retailers, most retailers

Most retailers for a cup of coffee tho he said. You didn’t finish what he wrote AND isn’t that the thread. It’s common sense & he had lots of posts after that to explain convenience stores & retailers that have lots of super small transactions..about a $2 cup of coffee. He even wrote that! He might trust that ppl have common sense when he explains stuff......bad move. Do you really think he was talking about a $2 cup of coffee from Nordstrom’s & minimum purchases because of it?

edit: AND the O.P.s story was about a debit card for a cup of coffee.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-24-2021 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 11:09 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,682,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Most retailers for a cup of coffee tho he said. You didn’t finish what he wrote AND isn’t that the thread. It’s common sense & he had lots of posts after that to explain convenience stores & retailers that have lots of super small transactions..about a $2 cup of coffee. He even wrote that! He might trust that ppl have common sense when he explains stuff......bad move. Do you really think he was talking about a $2 cup of coffee from Nordstrom’s & minimum purchases because of it?

edit: AND the O.P.s story was about a debit card for a cup of coffee.
The statement was about most retailers and a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase. Try reading the entire statement and the context of what he was responding to as he wasn’t responding to the OP. Even beyond that he did not provide support that most convenient stores post a min but that wasn’t his statement anyhow

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 03-24-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The statement was about most retailers and a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase. Try reading the entire statement and the context of what he was responding to as he wasn’t responding to the OP. Even beyond that he did not provide support that most convenient stores post a min but that wasn’t his statement anyhow

Oh, IMO...his statement AND all the posts that came after about it to explain...made it totally clear. It’s super obvious to me but I read all his posts....AND yours.

Some ppl don’t have common sense tho...like not looking at the amount she signed for coffee.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PPl would save themselves lots of time & aggravation if they use a little common sense IMO.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh, IMO...his statement AND all the posts that came after about it to explain...made it totally clear. It’s super obvious to me but I read all his posts....AND yours.
His post afterwards would lead you to believe he misspoke but trying to defend his statement with a Supreme Court ruling was off. He could have clarified his original statement was off by continued to argue it in a tear

Quote:
Some ppl don’t have common sense tho...like not looking at the amount she signed for coffee.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PPl would save themselves lots of time & aggravation if they use a little common sense IMO.
She certainly should have looked at her receipt, app, statement etc but that’s irrelevant to the discussion I was engaged in with the cowboy

Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
His post afterwards would lead you to believe he misspoke but trying to defend his statement with a Supreme Court ruling was off. He could have clarified his original statement was off by continued to argue it in a tear

No..... it led you to believe because you want to argue about something silly & you didn’t think through what he wrote IMO. He is a corporate lawyer & knows what he is talking about when it comes to business & law.

Quote:
She certainly should have looked at her receipt, app, statement etc but that’s irrelevant

More common sense tho...she should have looked at the amt of what she signed...before she signed it AND so it wouldn’t have happened.....at all.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
No..... it led you to believe because you want to argue about something silly & you didn’t think through what he wrote IMO. He is a corporate lawyer & knows what he is talking about when it comes to business & law.
I don’t care what his professional role is. Are you somehow affiliated with him? Interesting your defense. Although if he is a corporate attorney you’d think he wouldn’t make statements that were not able to be supported. I questioned the statement and he couldn’t support it. Plain and simple

Quote:
More common sense tho...she should have looked at the amt of what she signed...before she signed it AND so it wouldn’t have happened.....at all.
Still not relevant to the discussion I was having

Old 03-24-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I don’t care what his professional role is. Are you somehow affiliated with him? Interesting your defense. Although if he is a corporate attorney you’d think he wouldn’t make statements that were not able to be supported. I questioned the statement and he couldn’t support it. Plain and simple

It’s not all that interesting tho... I love his posts AND...IMO it was super clear because I read all of them. One thing I learned from being engaged to a lawyer of my own....don’t get stuck on “many” or “most” statements like you did tho. You will never get anywhere & they don’t need to be supported, they can be tricky like that... BUT he was super nice IMO to explain what he was talking about in his posts....even tho you sound mad over it.

edit: AND he said over & over he was talking about convenience stores that sell cheap cups of coffee for lots of their business because they are the most hurt by the fees.

Quote:

Still not relevant to the discussion I was having

I know...you are super off topic & snappy...but it is totally “relevant” to the thread topic. It’s common sense if the woman in the story had looked at the amt before she signed it...it wouldn’t have happened ofc.

Have a happy day Low...& smile!

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-24-2021 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 02:13 PM

17,687 posts, read 15,397,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
3% on 100 2 dollar sales is the same as 3% on 2 100 dollar sales

The above is correct, the sentiment is not.

3% of $2.00 is 6 cents. Times 100 is $6.00

3% of $100 is 3.00, times 2 is $6.00

However.. Let's deal with real world numbers. Processing charges usually run something like 3.95% or similar. But let's use 3.5% for a nice half number.

In that case, say you had 100 $1 sales vs 1 $100 sale.

3.5% of $1 is 3.5 cents. which would be rounded up to 4 cents. Which would wind up being $4

3.5% of a single $100 sale is $3.50..

So, one of those, you have $104, the other $103.50

Trust me.. I have to deal with this on tax all the time. Because someone will say "I did $10000 in sales, my tax rate is 7.5 percent, why does the system say I collected more/less in tax?"

Because when you're not dealing with real world numbers, rounding comes into play. Or when you are.. Whatever.

The above is closely followed by the second most common question..

"I worked 3 hours and 17 minutes.. Why does my timecard show that I worked 3.28 hours?"

Last edited by Labonte18; 03-24-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 02:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,908,129 times
Quote:
Cowboy has said over & over about the laws AND the fees for convenience stores tho...that depend on small purchases like coffee. It’s total common sense IMO he wasn’t talking about Nordstrom’s or Starbucks.......or any retailer that doesn’t have lots of super small purchases like a cup of cheap coffee. AND coffee & convenience stores is what the thread is talking about ofc.
Grocery stores are a big mix of small and large transactions. I was dealing with some financial housekeeping today after being out of town for a week, and noticed that when the husband picked up $1.62 worth of bananas the other day as he had mentioned when we talked on Monday, he did indeed charge it to the correct credit card as the cc spending plan suggests.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
It’s not all that interesting tho... I love his posts AND...IMO it was super clear because I read all of them. One thing I learned from being engaged to a lawyer of my own....don’t get stuck on “many” or “most” statements like you did tho. You will never get anywhere & they don’t need to be supported, they can be tricky like that... BUT he was super nice IMO to explain what he was talking about in his posts....even tho you sound mad over it.
I don’t really need your advice on what I may or may not question attorneys or otherwise. If I see something I feel is off I will question it and if said person can’t support it I will take that as confirmation they were simply making things up. There nothing to be mad about but rather odd you’ve taken the role as captain save a lawyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance