Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 03:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,171,854 times

Advertisements

100% of day-to-day charges are on AmX Platinum. Debit card used to pull cash on occasion, c. monthly if that for those very few personal transactions that need to be paid that way.

Someone rips off AmX card and makes bogus charges about every 18 months. Their fraud dept catches it promptly and informs me, last time was a couple months back. I don't ask how, nor do I care. New number issued. I update my password keeper which is under encryption that cannot be cracked except by ChiCom / PLA hackers I guess. If they're after me, all is lost anyway.

Another non-problem solved. They'd have noticed a $5,700 cup of coffee in 2.2 second and told Starbucks to pound sand. Not my concern anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 03:45 PM

558 posts, read 437,485 times
Ok, I am a person who "tried" to pay the utility company $11,500 using online banking. Did you know that if you accidentally hit a comma instead of a period, it totally transforms the amount? Yes, it asked me to confirm, and I still missed it. Fortunately, I overdrew so I didn't have to try to claw the $$$ back from the the utility company.

So that's partially my point. Unless she had $5700 in the bank or that much in overdraft protection, how did this get paid? I had $5k in overdraft protection, and they still didn't advance me the additional amount.

My other point is whether she monitors her account at all. I knew about my mistake the day before I got the OD notice from the bank because I saw it online. I refunded the overdraft protection, which did kick in but didn't prevent the OD, before I got the notice. It cut down on the daily interest charge.

The bank did waive the overdraft fee (my first), but not the CC interest, which is what the OD protection was tied to. They did waive the second month's interest, based on two-cycles, when I called to ask whether I had been punished enough.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:09 PM

500 posts, read 573,667 times
Use cash, bro. Seriously, for small transactions.

Yeah, I know you get your little points. And you need to spend x amount to get your bonus. And you need to justify spending a yearly fee for a card because you need to impress people at dinners. But we're all paying a tax for those credit cards through higher prices. Do you really think your points are saving you money? How do you think those CC companies make a profit?

Even worse are those tech companies trying to get into payments like Apple and Google. What is that about? I know what it's about - they smell the easy money. They want a cut of every transaction like the CC companies do. We're going to have 5 or 6 middleman companies scraping a cut out of every transaction. So easy to make money off you people with your little egos... "but I have to have the platinum/plutonium/infitizontonium card!"

Old 03-23-2021, 04:39 PM

107,009 posts, read 109,295,440 times
It is just as nonsensical to tell people don’t use their credit cards for the points as it is to say don’t buy gas so it will go down .

We get thousands of dollars a year in rebates via points and there is zero reason to give that up as prices ain’t going fown unless they do away with credit cards so that ain’t happening.

Those who pay cash pay the same prices we pay with our credit cards only we get rebated back and they don’t. So they are paying for it and getting nothing in return.
So you can keep paying cash while the rest of us get money back

Old 03-23-2021, 04:54 PM

8,752 posts, read 3,924,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Those who pay cash pay the same prices we pay with our credit cards only we get rebated back and they don’t. So they are paying for it and getting nothing in return.
So you can keep paying cash while the rest of us get money back
Credit cards charge merchant/processing fees which can be as high as 3.5%, depending upon the network (and other factors). Hence, most retailers won't accept credit cards for a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase - particularly considering their processing fees relative to debit cards are considerably lower. You'd have to give up your (minimal, if any) 'rebate points' in said scenario.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-23-2021 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2021, 04:59 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Credit cards charge merchant/processing fees which can be as high as 3.5%, depending upon the network (and other factors). Hence, most retailers won't accept credit cards for a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase - []particularly considering their processing fees relative to debit cards are considerably lower[/b]. You'd have to give up your (minimal, if any) 'rebate points' in said scenario.
Do you have any ability to factually support this statement?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:25 PM

8,752 posts, read 3,924,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Do you have any ability to factually support this statement?
Yes - lol, the Supreme Court ruling which protects retailers who impose a credit card minimum purchase requirement (I can't remember if it's $10 or $20) or surcharges relative to their costs. In the case of small business (or convenience stores where small purchases may be the bulk of business i.e. coffee), it can be difficult to clear much of a profit on those transactions.

They may not do so on debit card purchases.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:32 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Yes - lol, the Supreme Court ruling which protects retailers who impose a credit card minimum purchase requirement (I can't remember if it's $10 or $20) or surcharges relative to their costs. In the case of small business (or convenience stores where small purchases may be the bulk of business i.e. coffee), it can be difficult to clear much of a profit on those transactions.

They may not do so on debit card purchases.
I asked you for factual support for your statement. This response doesn’t in anyway support said statement.

I will quote it again to make it easier for you to isolate

Quote:
Hence, most retailers won't accept credit cards for a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase
Post something that support that most retailers impose a minimum

Old 03-23-2021, 05:42 PM

It actually amazes me to see how many I see buy a coffee or under five bucks purchase with a credit card.

Unless it is Dunkin’ where I use my app to order I pay cash for small purchases like that

Old 03-23-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Credit cards charge merchant/processing fees which can be as high as 3.5%, depending upon the network (and other factors). Hence, most retailers won't accept credit cards for a cup of coffee or a minimal purchase - particularly considering their processing fees relative to debit cards are considerably lower. You'd have to give up your (minimal, if any) 'rebate points' in said scenario.
3% on 100 2 dollar sales is the same as 3% on 2 100 dollar sales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance