Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Don't even know what to do with this information...just leave it up to my bank to deal with?

Have you filed a police report yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times
No, not going to unless it's required. I would have LOVED to file a police report when Hertz overbilled me or another company billed me wrong or without purchasing anything....but my bank says just let them handle it and never required me to do so.

I'd file a report saying this company stole money from me....it's a nationally known company and they'd say it was a computer error or something similar.
Seems businesses can get away with things regular citizens can't.

Now, if they fail or refuse to give me my money back.....then sure! I'd contact the police and their states Attorney General.
But as of 1 hour ago, my bank has credited me back all the money except for overdraft fees....and I'll call tomorrow if those aren't credited back.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Yeah, those overdraft fees should be credited back... that is pretty scary though to see your money vanish like that... good luck... now get back to work, your vacation was over days ago...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times
hahaha, so funny evilnewbie! This was the first time I could laugh since this happend as I've been stressed out.

But am retired...but do need to get to work on my projects!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
His money was taken before he got online. It happened while he was away. I suggest you read the whole post.
I think that was clear but it suggested a pattern of behavior using ones computer that could have been compromised sometime in the past.

I'm not the computer whiz I once was, but I know someone that is a genius/security expert and he has shown me how easy it is to hack into peoples wireless connections, even evading firewalls, software and other issues.

Basically using a wireless connection in a public place is like having sex without a condom with random women. At some point you impregnate someone or get herpes. Just a matter of time.

There are all kinds of scams going on out there. My business card was compromised in 2008, but fortunately the credit card company stopped it at $40 damage. I think what happened is some scammy waitress or hotel staff swiped my card through a card reader, stole the info off the magnetic strip and then they use that to make new cards. The city were it happened I had been there 8 months before.

I also got dinged in 2004. I set up a new bank account with a debit card. Some time had passed and I never got it in the mail. I called the bank and let them know I never got the card and I get a call back from the security dept and someone had been using it. Little did I know the dumbass bank sent the cards through the mail ACTIVATED. My post office then was considered one of the worst in the USA and either a PO employee pilfered it or it got put in someone elses box and they used it.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
no need to panic, if you file a police report and report the case to your bank promptly (which you have done - BUT also do it in writing with registered return reciept as copy), you will be fine - the maximum liability for bank account fraud if reported promptly is $500. Most banks will refund everything after they do some double checking that you did not obviously run up the bills yourself.

Online banking is actually a HARDER way for a thief to steal your information, you mail out your checks, that mail can be stolen and all the information is right there to perform an ACH debit. Online banking in this regard is safer if you are diligent about keeping your computer secure and do not use it from any other computer but your own.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,117,598 times
Wow! I'm sorry this has happened to you.
As others have stated and cannot be said enough is use your own computer and internet connection to check on financial related matters.
I had something like this happen to me. My rent check was pulled from my account twice. Same check number, amount, everything pulled twice in one month. It was a simple clerk error and it was cleared in a matter of days.
I hope the bank acts swiftly. If they don't, I would investigate using another bank. No matter the outcome, to be safe and prevent future occurrences, close this account and open up another one.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Pretty careless of the bank to let the same company keep taking funds. They obviously kept each amount below the level banks scrutinize.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Contact your bank! Only they can answer if these funds will be credited back to you and the process you're going to have to take.

We cannot give you advice here, because we are not your bank.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
His money was taken before he got online. It happened while he was away. I suggest you read the whole post.
wheelsup - I did read the entire post and was perfectly aware of the timeline of the incident and that the OP's use of the airport connection had nothing to do with the obviously "done deed". Although prior public use by the OP to access the account may have been the weak link that allowed the breach in the first place. My comment was directed to the OP's use of an airport Internet connection (or any other public Internet source for that matter) to access financial accounts. Public Internet access (whether using WiFi, hardwired courtesy computers or your own computer using a publicly provided hardwired connection for which one has no knowledge of the level of it's server security) is one of the main ways an individual's personal information is compromised, according to any discussion by experts on the subject that I have read.

My advice to the OP stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance