Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,561 times

Advertisements

If you have that much info then do take it up with the police also
You will get your money back I went through a similar incident & got every penny back from my bank
Good luck in your endeavor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
No, not going to unless it's required. I would have LOVED to file a police report when Hertz overbilled me or another company billed me wrong or without purchasing anything....but my bank says just let them handle it and never required me to do so.

I'd file a report saying this company stole money from me....it's a nationally known company and they'd say it was a computer error or something similar.
Seems businesses can get away with things regular citizens can't.

Now, if they fail or refuse to give me my money back.....then sure! I'd contact the police and their states Attorney General.
But as of 1 hour ago, my bank has credited me back all the money except for overdraft fees....and I'll call tomorrow if those aren't credited back.

You'll probably have to file a police report. The bank's insurance company requires it to cover fraud losses.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,788 times
Not having read the whole thread (I need to get moving so I'll be back later to read it), here is my 2 cents.

1. If the routing and checking account number was used, no guarantee that it was done by online banking. Yes, it may have, but it could also be a place that the check was mailed to - the person who handles procecssing payments.

2. I don't check anything personal on a public computer. I was waiting for my mom at the hospital the other day and my cell battery was running low. They had a computer available, but I refused to check even my "junk" email account from there.

3. Not to the tune of $7,900 but my mother and I have both been taken on different occassions for over $1,000 and the banks refunded us our money and and OD fees. You do need to fill out an affidavit and I would file a police report too.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
As stated notify your bank and call the police to file a report. your bank will have you makewout a affidavit .Then the police will be needing a statement from you.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 AM

505 posts, read 1,665,201 times
What you are speaking about are ACH transfers. When you open up new bank accounts, stock accounts, etc. online, sometimes that is all you have as an option to open or fund accounts. All you need is personal info (name, address, etc) and your bank account info (routing, account no.). Your bank will only check the validity of your info - NOT THE VALIDITY OF THE ENTITY OR BUSINESS WITHDRAWING YOUR FUNDS. Say for example, I have a Wells Fargo account, and I opened up a new account with Bank of America. If there is an ACH request from BofA, Wells Fargo would check to see if your information is correct or not. That is all that is needed for them to authorize the transfer. Now what happens if, instead of Bank of America, Wells Fargo gets an ACH request from SYM Bank in New Hampshire? Wells won't check who SYM Bank is, they just want to make sure if your information is correct.

Filing a police report and working with your bank is your best result at this point. There's a chance they have already cleared out all the funds and closed the account already. So if your bank can act fast, they might be able to do something if you can prove that the transfer is not authorized by you.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Advising the OP?
This happened over a year and a half ago... don't you think it has been taken care of by now?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Advising the OP?
This happened over a year and a half ago... don't you think it has been taken care of by now?

Wow, I didn't even catch the date!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

505 posts, read 1,665,201 times
Same here. We need to stop bringing up old threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance