Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM

20 posts, read 32,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
This is very important to my husband and I and I haven't found anything on it. I was thinking about e-mailing some of the candidates, but I really doubt that I would get anything back. Have you heard anything about any of this??
I tried e-mailing several of the candidates about this issue and NO ONE got back to me. In my state, it is the republicans that care the most, oddly enough.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,168 times
Not sure at this point where I read it exactly, but I can assure you it was on one of the Pit Bull Protection websites that Rudy Guilliani supported the BSL locally. I joined this site specifically to attempt to find out for myself as well which of the candidates are supporting the BSL, and which are not. From there, I'll eliminate and then worry about the rest of the MANY issues we Americans have to address. Being a Pit Bull owner, this is important to me, as I don't want to end up like all those poor, law abiding citizens of Denver who had their Pit Bulls taken away from them, most of which were put down, due to the new BSL laws Denver passed. Mind you, Denver was able to do that BECAUSE the law abiding Denver citizens were doing the right thing by having their dogs registered. And one wonders why people have such mistrust of the government entities, federally or locally!!
If you have any additonal info. on this, I would be most grateful to be enlightened!

To the lady who would push her car if need be, I volunteer to be right by your side helping you! Atta Girl!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
Default Animal Rights is a national issue.

Animal rights should not be decided locally - animal abuse is a problem nationwide and needs to be considered a felony in every state. Many states have abysmal histories when it comes to animal issues. More importantly, how a person treats animals is an excellent predictor of how they treat human beings and scientists have proven a strong link between animal abuse and violence toward people.

A candidate who doesn't care about animals won't care about you either!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygal View Post
I havent read through all these post, but something you might want to know that i heard on msnbc yesterday. Mit Romney once went on vacation with his wife, and he took his dog. Apparently they were going on on a hike an it was extremely hot outside. So instead of rolling down the window he took his dog out of the car and tied him to the top of the roof. The dog was so scared that he deficated on himself. While still tied on top of the car mr. romney hosed the scared pup off and then proceeed with his hike.
LOL, assuming what you said is true, that's almost all but a whole reason right there not to vote for Mitt Romney! Never mind that already, there isn't anything in the world that'd convince me to vote for him.

Finally, definitely agree with the one person in this thread that said that a good judge of a politician's character is their views on animal rights.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
LOL, assuming what you said is true, that's almost all but a whole reason right there not to vote for Mitt Romney! Never mind that already, there isn't anything in the world that'd convince me to vote for him.

Finally, definitely agree with the one person in this thread that said that a good judge of a politician's character is their views on animal rights.
I won't vote for any candidate that doesn't support animal rights...guess that means I might have to vote for myself!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM

15 posts, read 78,216 times
Default Animal rights in Texas

Kay Bailey Hutchinson (Senator) voted against horse slaughter. I'm not voting for her. John Cornyn (Senator) and Kevin Brady (Representative) are two of the worst regarding animal rights. I am voting for anyone else but them. I am still researching the Texas State Senators Robert Nichols and Rob Eissler.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
As much as I love animals, sorry they don't have "rights".Only humans do. That said, I think anyone that abuses animals and/or causes them any undue suffering should be treated the same as they treated the animal in question.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
As much as I love animals, sorry they don't have "rights".Only humans do.
Actually, that will no longer be the case very soon.

Have you heard of The Great Ape Project? There has been some success and Spain has announced its' approval to grant legal rights to apes:

(second news release...read March 22, 2007)

GAP

Old 02-26-2008, 03:09 PM

98 posts, read 454,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
As much as I love animals, sorry they don't have "rights".Only humans do. That said, I think anyone that abuses animals and/or causes them any undue suffering should be treated the same as they treated the animal in question.
First off, humans are animals. You are simply another species, no more or less important. Your opinion is what's known as "speciesism". Same idea as racism or sexism, but believing that one species is better than another, more important than another, deserves more than another, etc.

Secondly, you have a misconception of what "animal rights" are. As a term, Animal Rights does not mean that dogs and cats might be allowed to vote, pay taxes, bear arms, or be granted other ridiculous notions. It means all sentient creatures have an inalienable "right" to live their lives without being killed, tortured, or exploited for our use. They exist for their own reasons and are not our pawns to do with what we please. That is their "right".

Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

161 posts, read 474,412 times
Please could someone tell me what BSL is? To me (London, UK) it means British Sign Language. I gather it has something to do with pit bulls / dangerous dogs in US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets