Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times

Advertisements

Okay, I thought this would be fun. Since many of us here seem to be pet owners let's talk about what those pets mean to our lives

Here is my "baby", Callie. I've had her since the day she was born (mom was a stray who had her litter in our garage). Since I work from home we are always together. My favorite thing is the way she curls up under the covers with me when it's time to go to sleep. In 2009 we lost her older brother and older sister Since becoming an "only child" she seems to need even more human contact and has become a lap cat for the first time in her life! It was so hard to lose the others, I pray I have her for years to come.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
I've slept with 6 to 8 cats around me when I was growing up.

In the middle of the night, there will be a bizarre grrrooooaaaannn noise that's totally uncalled for.

That means I turned over one of the kitties and crushed them.

Yeah, they somehow release themselves and we all fall asleep again, till morning

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,528,107 times
Mine is an ungrateful, pain in the ass yorkie, who won't get a haircut or a job. Oh yeah, he licks his butt then tries to lick my face, too.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
5 cats, and I am not an old cat lady! Two cats just came to our doors, hungry and clearly disposed by someone. I had my original 3 (my personal maximum), so the new cats probably smelled cat presence. It's a bit too many for me, but I am not disposing of them, not voluntarily.

Maybe because I have had them for years, I don't really think of the therapeutic effects, but they do make you feel better/warmer.

Trying not to attach myself emotionally to my chickens since they are going to be food!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
5 cats, and I am not an old cat lady! Two cats just came to our doors, hungry and clearly disposed by someone. I had my original 3 (my personal maximum), so the new cats probably smelled cat presence. It's a bit too many for me, but I am not disposing of them, not voluntarily.

Maybe because I have had them for years, I don't really think of the therapeutic effects, but they do make you feel better/warmer.

Trying not to attach myself emotionally to my chickens since they are going to be food!
LOL, everyone in my family has cats - one sister has 5 for the same reason as you, she won't turn them away and they have all become her kids She says the same thing as you all the time, "I am not an old cat lady!". We say, Yeah, right!

Animals DO make you feel better, especially cats, their presence can be so calming and soothing.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Mine is an ungrateful, pain in the ass yorkie, who won't get a haircut or a job. Oh yeah, he licks his butt then tries to lick my face, too.
STOP IT, I'm about to wet my pants from laughing so hard

Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times
Oh loves your cat is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm a dog person myself, I love her to death, but she just pooped in the living room while I was out so I'll say some nice things about her later perhaps.

Last edited by sophialee; 01-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 01-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Oh loves your cat is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm a dog person myself, I love her to death, but she just popped in the living room while I was out so I'll say some nice things about her later perhaps.
OOPS! You made me laugh outloud! Come back and post a pic when you are feeling the love again!

And thanks for the kind words about my little girl

Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Callie is beautiful!!! My favorite cat was one that I got in college. He was very dog-like in personality. He would talk to me and when I went back to my parents house, he would follow me around the city block when I walked the family dog. Neighbors would watch in amusement as he stalked the dog. Sometimes he would get playful and run up a tree. Later on, he had an awesome relationship with my pug. They would take turns chasing each other up and down my apartment hallway. He was black and white like a Holstein cow and I named him Spot.

I have two cats now, but I am closer to my dogs. I currently have eight dogs. I adopted a terrier mix last year that turned out to be pregnant. She had a litter of five puppies. I have four of them still. They are just over a year old and each looks different. All are bigger than their mom. The fifth puppy is actually currently staying with me while my co-worker is on vacation in Brazil. I also am taking care of her lovebird. Otherwise, I have two lab mixes and last year, I adopted a 13 year old miniature blind rat terrier.

Right now, all of my dogs are from shelters from the south. I drive down to pick them up. One of my lab mixes is also cow-spotted and my boyfriend and his friends love him a lot. He is a very manly dog. We can't believe that he was languishing in a NC shelter for TWO months!!! Bandit is such a treasure. The other lab mix is chocolate coloured. He was rescued from an abusive home and extremely shy when I first took him in. He was particularly frightened of men. At the time I adopted him, I was working from home, so I was able to spent a lot of quiet quality time with him.

Ideally, I enjoy having about three dogs at a time. I like the dynamics of having a 25 lb female terrier mix (I love their personalities!), a male lab mix, and then a senior small dog. I would say that I was really sad when Spot, my pug and two of my old terriers passed away. And what helps is having other dogs of all ages around to buffer the void and loss of one of them leaving my life.

I ended up keeping most of the puppy litter because each was so wonderful, and I wasn't impressed with anyone that answered my ads on craigslist. Most only wanted a free puppy for their family and didn't want to compensate me for having fed them the best puppy kibble, crate training them and getting them spayed and neutered. They thought that they were doing me a favour by adopting my puppies, so I felt screw them, I'm keeping them and it's their loss. Anyway, I have a large fenced in yard and my work schedule allows me the ability to spend quality time with them. They get more play time in the yard than if I adopted them out to a working family who would need a dog walker or doggie daycare.

Yeah, my boyfriend isn't thrilled with my having eight dogs (I don't consider the 13 year old one a real dog though as he's only nine pounds), but it's my personal indulgence. And I am very diligent about keeping the yard clean of poop. And he has his dirt bikes and other guy activities.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Callie is beautiful!!! My favorite cat was one that I got in college. He was very dog-like in personality. He would talk to me and when I went back to my parents house, he would follow me around the city block when I walked the family dog. Neighbors would watch in amusement as he stalked the dog. Sometimes he would get playful and run up a tree. Later on, he had an awesome relationship with my pug. They would take turns chasing each other up and down my apartment hallway. He was black and white like a Holstein cow and I named him Spot.

I have two cats now, but I am closer to my dogs. I currently have eight dogs. I adopted a terrier mix last year that turned out to be pregnant. She had a litter of five puppies. I have four of them still. They are just over a year old and each looks different. All are bigger than their mom. The fifth puppy is actually currently staying with me while my co-worker is on vacation in Brazil. I also am taking care of her lovebird. Otherwise, I have two lab mixes and last year, I adopted a 13 year old miniature blind rat terrier.

Right now, all of my dogs are from shelters from the south. I drive down to pick them up. One of my lab mixes is also cow-spotted and my boyfriend and his friends love him a lot. He is a very manly dog. We can't believe that he was languishing in a NC shelter for TWO months!!! Bandit is such a treasure. The other lab mix is chocolate coloured. He was rescued from an abusive home and extremely shy when I first took him in. He was particularly frightened of men. At the time I adopted him, I was working from home, so I was able to spent a lot of quiet quality time with him.

Ideally, I enjoy having about three dogs at a time. I like the dynamics of having a 25 lb female terrier mix (I love their personalities!), a male lab mix, and then a senior small dog. I would say that I was really sad when Spot, my pug and two of my old terriers passed away. And what helps is having other dogs of all ages around to buffer the void and loss of one of them leaving my life.

I ended up keeping most of the puppy litter because each was so wonderful, and I wasn't impressed with anyone that answered my ads on craigslist. Most only wanted a free puppy for their family and didn't want to compensate me for having fed them the best puppy kibble, crate training them and getting them spayed and neutered. They thought that they were doing me a favour by adopting my puppies, so I felt screw them, I'm keeping them and it's their loss. Anyway, I have a large fenced in yard and my work schedule allows me the ability to spend quality time with them. They get more play time in the yard than if I adopted them out to a working family who would need a dog walker or doggie daycare.

Yeah, my boyfriend isn't thrilled with my having eight dogs (I don't consider the 13 year old one a real dog though as he's only nine pounds), but it's my personal indulgence. And I am very diligent about keeping the yard clean of poop. And he has his dirt bikes and other guy activities.
What an awesome post - thanks!!

Yes, like any proud "mom" I think my baby is the most beautiful in the world, lol!

That is so awesome that you have the energy, time, resources and motivation to rescue so many animals - good for you!

By coincidence, I have a good friend in Tennessee who volunteers with a rescue group that drives dogs from southern states up to Buffalo, NY to be transported into Canada to their "forever homes". Apparently, Canada doesn't have the overpopulation problem we do down here and they like to get our extras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets