Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times

Advertisements

Here is my utterly rotten dog, Shadow expressing her opinion on our choice of vacations spots

And here she is enjoying canoeing on the Little Tennessee River in Franklin, NC

The little devil in her Halloween costume

Here are my equally rotten cats

Buzz, letting me know that the chair is no longer mine

Mickey, stalking lizards

And the most beyond spoiled horse on the planet, Pink Panther

These are my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Racelady, these are great pics!!! LOVE the Halloween devil, LOL!! And Buzz looks like he's the boss in that chair for sure.

Thanks for posting so many, you have a great looking family

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Racelady, these are great pics!!! LOVE the Halloween devil, LOL!! And Buzz looks like he's the boss in that chair for sure.

Thanks for posting so many, you have a great looking family
Thank you! I have many, many more........

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM

153 posts, read 238,461 times
Callie is a beautie. My cat (GD Cat) is not mutually loved by my husband. He named her: "God D--n Cat" (I shortened it). He also calls her "Fur Licking A-- Hole", and "Sad Sack Piece of S--t Cat", but I love her enough for both of us. She's used to lots of "knoatching", that's a Pa. Dutch expression for picking up an animal and lovin' the stuffin' out of it, whether they're in the mood for it or not. I've had her since she was a tiny kitten. I spotted a sign that said, "Free Kittens", and I brought her home for my youngest daughter. My husband was not happy with the new addition, and I thought I'd have to take her back. When he saw my daughter's face, he relented, and said the kitty was on "probation". Later, HE was the one who made the appointment with the vet for checkup and shots and to have her spayed. I knew then my husband had grown soft on her and the probation was over. He still calls her the long version of her name, among others, but I see him scratch her head once in a while.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
By coincidence, I have a good friend in Tennessee who volunteers with a rescue group that drives dogs from southern states up to Buffalo, NY to be transported into Canada to their "forever homes". Apparently, Canada doesn't have the overpopulation problem we do down here and they like to get our extras
Six years ago, I drove a blind Brittany Spaniel from GA all the way up to New Brunswick, Canada. Otherwise, three of my dogs have come from Adamsville, TN. That shelter lost its home unfortunately.

Yes, having so many dogs does take a lot of energy. It was very interesting having the young puppies. I don't think that I will ever have puppies again, but I am glad of the experience. It was like being a kid again!

And of my two cats, one was from a former co-worker who was allergic to her cat. The other one, I found in Atlanta and drove home.

My first stray dog was an extremely dirty and matted terrier mix found in Atlanta. I was traveling with my pug at the time, so I was staying in a hotel that was pet friendly. And I knew that my boyfriend at the time wouldn't approve of my adopting her. I think that it was over two weeks being home before I told him what I had done. In fact I told his mother of my new fur baby first. He was a germ-a-phobe, and had he been on my road trip, I know that he wouldn't have let me keep her. I know that he would have told me that the stray might give my pug some disease. She did come with a lot of fleas and ticks though... but neither my pug nor I got sick from her. Gypsy turned out to be an amazing and very devoted dog. My pug loved me a lot but food was her first love. With Gypsy, she loved me more than dinner. I still miss her a lot. I think that she was a Welsh terrier-poodle mix. Rescue dogs are just so appreciative of their new owners.

I know that I can't be trusted to visit an animal shelter by myself. And there's such a wicked pleasure in deciding to bring an animal home... I think that as children, we all remember asking or begging our parents for a kitten or a puppy and being told "no".

Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Mine is an ungrateful, pain in the ass yorkie, who won't get a haircut or a job. Oh yeah, he licks his butt then tries to lick my face, too.
Do you think they do that because our skin tastes bad?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,528,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Do you think they do that because our skin tastes bad?
Lol, who knows. I think he does it on purpose in kind of a "jokes on you" sort of way.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Six years ago, I drove a blind Brittany Spaniel from GA all the way up to New Brunswick, Canada. Otherwise, three of my dogs have come from Adamsville, TN. That shelter lost its home unfortunately.

Yes, having so many dogs does take a lot of energy. It was very interesting having the young puppies. I don't think that I will ever have puppies again, but I am glad of the experience. It was like being a kid again!

And of my two cats, one was from a former co-worker who was allergic to her cat. The other one, I found in Atlanta and drove home.

My first stray dog was an extremely dirty and matted terrier mix found in Atlanta. I was traveling with my pug at the time, so I was staying in a hotel that was pet friendly. And I knew that my boyfriend at the time wouldn't approve of my adopting her. I think that it was over two weeks being home before I told him what I had done. In fact I told his mother of my new fur baby first. He was a germ-a-phobe, and had he been on my road trip, I know that he wouldn't have let me keep her. I know that he would have told me that the stray might give my pug some disease. She did come with a lot of fleas and ticks though... but neither my pug nor I got sick from her. Gypsy turned out to be an amazing and very devoted dog. My pug loved me a lot but food was her first love. With Gypsy, she loved me more than dinner. I still miss her a lot. I think that she was a Welsh terrier-poodle mix. Rescue dogs are just so appreciative of their new owners.

I know that I can't be trusted to visit an animal shelter by myself. And there's such a wicked pleasure in deciding to bring an animal home... I think that as children, we all remember asking or begging our parents for a kitten or a puppy and being told "no".
You remind me of my friend driving all the way to Canada to save a dog's life

Gypsy sounds like she was aptly named and very lovable. You are so right about the gratefulness of pound puppies! I just can't imagine all those puppies at one time, YIKES.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,688 times
Love the pics...great thread, LM

As of about three weeks ago, I have an adorable little kitten that has appropriately been named Sassy. She was a snowstorm rescue...was stuck about 15 feet up in a tree, matted with snow and shivering so bad. Now she's thriving inside, gaining weight and has learned how to manipulate humans into giving her belly rubs She's hell on wheels (well, four paws) - pure entertainment!

I don't know how the heck to put a pic right in my post but I think I managed to attach it
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your relationship with your "furr kid" :)-hpim4392.jpg  

Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
You remind me of my friend driving all the way to Canada to save a dog's life

Gypsy sounds like she was aptly named and very lovable. You are so right about the gratefulness of pound puppies! I just can't imagine all those puppies at one time, YIKES.
Gypsy loved traveling with me. When I packed up the night before for an antique show, she'd jump into the car and sleep in it overnight. I think that she was worried that I might forget her. On the road, Gypsy would just go to sleep. My car was her mobile dog house. And after my pug died, Gypsy was my only dog until she passed. She didn't want to share me with another dog, and I respected her wishes.

At the time that I met my boyfriend, I was dogless. He was also dogless, as our pooches had both died within several months of each other. A year after my boyfriend moved in with me, I found a dog in TN through Petfinder that I wanted to adopt. Once at the shelter, I picked out two more dogs to save.

When I got Daphne and her puppies, the puppies were just over a month old. They were getting their teeth and she really didn't enjoy nursing them. So I took the puppies and kept them in my bathtub. A few times a day, I would take one puppy at a time and let the puppy nurse. I fed the puppies high grade puppy food. Daphne didn't really enjoy the company of her children until they were fully weaned and had stopped running to her nipples for milk. Now she loves playing with them in the yard.

The drive back from NC with Daphne and her babies was rather incredible. I have a Honda hatchback. In the back of the car, I had a crate with Daphne and her puppies. Then it was my two lab mixes and my old mini poodle. And also the mini rat terrier I impulsively adopted that was also stayed at the foster dog mom's house. The rat terrier Josh was very feisty and made my brown lab Bailey crawl into the front seat with me. That wasn't a good driving arrangement, so I had to pull over and rearrange the dogs. I had Josh on my lap the whole way home. I also had to stop and walk the dogs periodically. I had extra leashes to secure the dogs inside the car that I weren't getting walked. I am very careful to make sure that my dogs never get loose while I'm traveling.

Needless to say, I haven't gone on any road trips in a while. It's okay. I'm both a road trip warrior and a homebody.

Last edited by miu; 01-09-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets