Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times

Advertisements

If you look hard enough you can find apartments in the nicest sections of Center City and Rittenhouse for $650-750 for a studio. One bedrooms are usually going to be $800+, but again if you scour craigslist well enough you can find something cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
For people who are scared of living in the city we do have a lot of suburbs with easy access. It sounds like the OP wants to be in the city, though. Since there are a lot of nice places to live a little more info (where will you be working? do you have a visa?) would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Probaly so, but the risk involved has zero to do with adding further unnessary risk.
I was at a baseball game last weekend and in the middle of every game they always have this animated subway race. As we're arguing over which rail car will win the race the guy next to us (total stranger) turns and says, "i prefer my car. I'm always in control." to which i replied "you're not in control when it takes you 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot."

getting in a car is a choice. a choice that carries significant risks. you can be the best driver in the world but you have zero control over how other people drive.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM

32 posts, read 82,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney28 View Post
I am a recent Canadian University graduate looking to move to Philadelphia for social work. I have never been to Philadelphia before and I am interested in knowing what areas are considered to be more safe to live in than others. I am also curiours as to what the average cost is to rent a 1 bedroom apartment? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I happen to be a social work living in the city. Social work jobs in the US do not pay well, but if you have a Masters degree, you can do fairly well in an administrative position.

I have been lucky to work in a decently-paying job and live somewhat frugally. I was still able to live in Center City and now live in Graduate Hospital. Many jobs require a car, so avoid Center City. Apartments in Center City under $800 are most likely managed by slumlords, as was my experience (read reviews online too). In surrounding areas of Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Bella Vista, and Graduate Hospital you can live within walking distance of Center City and could find a studio for $750 and up. One bedrooms are more expensive and would most likely start around $850 or so. Just check out craigslist and try one of the neighborhood names people have mentioned.

(If you're looking for a job, PM me as my place is very large and always hiring.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia