Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM

148 posts, read 234,334 times

Advertisements

Hampden is one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere in the country; I just love the mixture of good eats, demographics, weird shops, interesting houses, etc. etc. I was wondering if Philadelphia had anything similar. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Maybe No Libs or the South Street area - not sure there is an exact one but maybe a few with elements which also could include Old City and Wash West or even Manyunk/Roxbourough (though to me Manyunk has become to over run by national chains these days

Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe No Libs or the South Street area - not sure there is an exact one but maybe a few with elements which also could include Old City and Wash West or even Manyunk/Roxbourough (though to me Manyunk has become to over run by national chains these days
Yep, that sounds like the Northern Liberties/Old City/South Street corridor to me too. The OP should be able to find everything they're looking for within that quarter-mile wide/one-mile long stretch.

When I think about it, I'm with you on Washington Square West too. Seems like the "shorthand" answer would be to stay east of Broad Street - the closer to the river, the better - to find what they're looking for.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:57 PM

219 posts, read 674,754 times
Default West Philly, and for lights, South Philly,

Having been to Hampden only a few times, and being very charmed by its strong sense of neighborhood identity, brisk small business activity, and young, civic-minded people, I would actually compare the neighborhood more to parts of West Philly, like Powelton, south of spring garden, east of maybe 41st or 42nd, or east of 50th, south of about chestnut. There are a couple vibrant commercial strips in this area, but the most vibrant is Baltimore Avenues, with small organic markets like Milk and Honey, brunch places like Rx, Gold Standard, and Marigold, coffee shops like the Green Line and the Satellite, and a never-ending series of house parties and art shows.

But if it's the Christmas lights display that draw you to Hampden, you can find Philadelphia's equivalent deep in South Philly, in some of the blocks just south of Oregon, although you can see some lights in Lower Moyamensing and the St. Monica's area (south of Snyder east of Broad, south of Jackson west of Broad, west of about 7th St. Although these neighborhoods are pretty ungentrified, unlike Hampden, they have a strong white working-class identity, much like Hampden. That being said, both neighborhoods have seen a trickle of young gentrifyin' types trickling south and west form the East Passyunk Area/

Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Hampden is one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere in the country; I just love the mixture of good eats, demographics, weird shops, interesting houses, etc. etc. I was wondering if Philadelphia had anything similar. Thanks!
This post is a few years old. I'm curious where you ended up settling in Philadelphia. And if it was better or worse or just plain agreeable for you, comparative to Hampden, Baltimore.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Parts of University City has that vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia