Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I just checked my new CC neighborhood and it's had more crime in the past week than several of the NYC zip codes I plugged in had in over a month! What is going on in Philly?!
stop! Its your imagination!! don't you know that?? The crime is very low in Philly.. Phillies2011 said so!! Or so he wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
we get it frank, you used to live in the city and there were all kinds of hooligans here and they made you sad.

you moved out into the boonies and you couldn't be happier.

great for you.

but that doesn't make what you say true.

i'd also check out zip 19104 in west philly. it's partially in university city but also lies outside of that area so the prices won't be too high. up and coming neighborhoods around here.
not true huh?? Okay ill put in your zip code and then compare to where we are now.. You tell me if the crime is way higher in the city.

http://spotcrime.com/#19104
and..
http://spotcrime.com/#08057

You tell me..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I just checked my new CC neighborhood and it's had more crime in the past week than several of the NYC zip codes I plugged in had in over a month! What is going on in Philly?!
NYC is one of the safest big cities in the USA.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not true huh?? Okay ill put in your zip code and then compare to where we are now.. You tell me if the crime is way higher in the city.

http://spotcrime.com/#19104
and..
http://spotcrime.com/#08057

You tell me..
haha first of all no one has obviously bothered to report the crime in moorestown nj because obviously no one cares.

besides moorestown nj is about 15 sq miles and contains about 65,000 people. the 19104 zip code has about 25% more people in about 1/5 of the area.

obviously there will be more crime in the city. there are so many more people and they are so densely packed in.

but you don't really understand what the term crime rate means. because even though there is more crime there are also more people. so that means for each crime committed in philly the crime rate isn't nearly affected as much as it would be in a smaller town like moorestown.

and i don't live in the 19104 zip code, i was recomending that because it's priced comparably to port richmond. i wouldn't consider it necessarily the safest neighborhood in philly, but compared to port richmond it's a lot better for a similar price.

beside since you lived in philly you should know that looking at crime rates by zip codes is pointless. it's too large of an area of land. some spots within the 19104 zip code are straight up ritzy... others are in the middle of the gheto.

but anyway no matter what neighborhood in philly you look at it'll obviously have much more crime, and although the crime rate will be closer, i'm sure moorestown will have the lower crime rate as well. hope that make you feel good while you harvest your tomatoes or whatever you farm out there.

haha just messing with you. but seriously. just because you don't like the city doesn't mean you have to poison the mind of everyone who wants to move here. you can voice the obvious flaws without coming off so biased and sometimes being inaccurate.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 AM

[quote=phillies2011;18905248

obviously there will be more crime in the city. there are so many more people and they are so densely packed in.

.[/quote]

Thank you. Thats the point that started this I said that crime is higher in the city and I see you agree. That is all I was saying... Didn't say I hated Philly, it just wore us down.. Constant neighbor issues, constant parking issues, constant trash everywhere, constant car break ins, etc etc..
anyway, getting back to Port Richmond. I have family there and its still a pretty good area. Pretty safe and clean still..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

154 posts, read 322,781 times
I think everyone is overlooking the fact that zip codes in Philly are utterly useless in terms of defining an area. There can be several neighborhoods contained in one zip code. If one of these hoods is bad it can effect the rating for the whole zip code. So don't take these "stats" too seriously.

Also and more importantly, a city is fluid and dynamic, bad elements from one block do travel and will commit crimes in other areas. In a city crime can happen anywhere, at anytime.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM

155 posts, read 372,281 times
That is a pretty cool site.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM

148 posts, read 412,045 times
They do it by police precinct. Just go on the Philadelphia Police Department website and there should be a link for crime statistics. Philly is quite safe. Much of the violent crime is street violence that affects young men involved with drugs or gangs. Don't know what CC neighborhood you looked up, but I've never had any problems in Center City.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM

120 posts, read 289,425 times
you also have to consider how many retail stores are in area too, retail thefts are counted in the mix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia