Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOctagon View Post
Maybe the wrong term for the whole neighborhood but exactly the right term for the people I dealt with. I know there's a lot of old money there too.

I'm being too harsh - I don't have anything against all of the nice people that live in Elkins Park (I know they're there, I just didn't deal with them a lot) or the neighborhood as a whole. There are annoying people everywhere, I know. That place just left a bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't live there.

I work in Jenkintown now and hate it only marginally less. Lots of people love both places though so maybe I'm the weirdo.
Nouveau riche just doesn't apply to the demographic as a whole. There isn't all that much old money either (most of the "old" residents are Jews whose families initially acquired their upper middle class status in the '50s and '60s, which is still in new money territory). I'm not disputing the fact that you personally found the neighborhood residents annoying.

Old money and new money are simply terms of circumstance; "blueblood" and "nouveau riche" are terms properly applied to people from those circumstances who act like caricatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 PM

78 posts, read 164,171 times
"Nouveau riche" was the first thing that came to my head when I met a lot of people there. Caricatures? Maybe. Obviously I haven't seen their bank statements or their family tree so I can't really comment on whether it's appropriate.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Tons of not so bad Korean restaurants bordering Elkin's Park and H-Mart is one of the best grocers in Philadelphia, therefore Elkin's Park does not suck that much, in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Tons of not so bad Korean restaurants bordering Elkin's Park and H-Mart is one of the best grocers in Philadelphia, therefore Elkin's Park does not suck that much, in my opinion.
I have no beef with Elkins Park. It's not the "place to be" it once was, but it's held up pretty well overall. EP and Oak Lane both have great Korean restaurants, though the population is shifting over to the Blue Bell area, among other places.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 AM

78 posts, read 164,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
H-Mart is great. Is that technically in Elkin's Park though? Also, notice you said "bordering" for the not-so-bad Korean restaurants.

This isn't a thread about Elkin's Park. Someone asked a question and I gave my completely biased view of the neighborhood. My intention wasn't to derail the thread into a conversation about whether Elkin's Park does or does not suck.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I have no beef with Elkins Park. It's not the "place to be" it once was, but it's held up pretty well overall. EP and Oak Lane both have great Korean restaurants, though the population is shifting over to the Blue Bell area, among other places.
That is so very true. I've yet to make it out to the Blue Bell area, but it is on my list as I continue to explore the greater Philadelphia area over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOctagon View Post
H-Mart is great. Is that technically in Elkin's Park though? Also, notice you said "bordering" for the not-so-bad Korean restaurants.

This isn't a thread about Elkin's Park. Someone asked a question and I gave my completely biased view of the neighborhood. My intention wasn't to derail the thread into a conversation about whether Elkin's Park does or does not suck.
Yeah, H-Mart is actually in Elkin's Park apparently. I actually had to google it before making that post! It BARELY is in there! Move it over to the other side of the intersection and BAM! No longer Elkin's Park. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with Elkin's and I've never really met the people who live there, so I can't really say anything about that part itself. I find it can be a rather peaceful place to walk around though. I don't think I'd ever care to live there though, so I'm with you on that front.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,876 times
I live in Wissinoming which is considered in the river ward area of the lower NE - sorry this neighborhood is going down fast. We have lived in Wiss for 25 years and it was somewhat mixed mostly white when we moved in - now mostly black and hispanic, section 8, etc.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannerd View Post
I live in Wissinoming which is considered in the river ward area of the lower NE - sorry this neighborhood is going down fast. We have lived in Wiss for 25 years and it was somewhat mixed mostly white when we moved in - now mostly black and hispanic, section 8, etc.
Maybe your immediate area. This says otherwise.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...elphia-PA.html

Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM

221 posts, read 399,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFormaldehyde View Post
Maybe your immediate area. This says otherwise.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...elphia-PA.html
Have you spent time in Wissinoming before?

That whole section has definitely gone downhill in terms of crime and on top of that got hit really hard with home values dropping.

Last edited by Snwmn5; 08-27-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 AM

178 posts, read 258,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Have you spent time in Wissinoming before?

That whole section has definitely gone downhill in terms of crime and on top of that got hit really hard with home values dropping.
Snwmn is right, the whole area even miles out has gone to hell. Penny Pack park is a few miles up from there, and it's not a park that I would recommend anyone who is above lower-middle class go to. It used to be a very nice park! Now the bottom section is surrounded by lower to lower-middle class.

Now the ground in the park is littered with small baggies, there are drugs, alchohol, black thugs, white working class thugs covered in tatoos and addicted to meth. Would not recommend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia