Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I've pretty much stated that I don't have a lot of respect for what "critics" do. And I've tried to explain why.
TBH, I think Inga is a benefit to the city because she writes not just critical reviews of our architecture, but she also writes about other important issues accompanied by potential solutions. Urban planning, schools, affordable housing, etc.

I believe it is important to critique what (sometimes greedy) developers are producing in our city. Without a professional viewpoint, our city's populace would be less educated on the concepts of good design and how that affects residents. Scrutiny is needed to put pressure on developers where our terribly weak design and planning processes do not in Philadelphia.

I do find it funny though that there are people who read Craig LaBan's critiques only to go into the comments section and make fun of fine dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
TBH, I think Inga is a benefit to the city because she writes not just critical reviews of our architecture, but she also writes about other important issues accompanied by potential solutions. Urban planning, schools, affordable housing, etc.

I believe it is important to critique what (sometimes greedy) developers are producing in our city. Without a professional viewpoint, our city's populace would be less educated on the concepts of good design and how that affects residents. Scrutiny is needed to put pressure on developers where our terribly weak design and planning processes do not in Philadelphia.

I do find it funny though that there are people who read Craig LaBan's critiques only to go into the comments section and make fun of fine dining.
If she had any architectural credentials(maybe she does now, she didn't used to) or she had actually worked in project development(has she?), I would see more validity in what she does.

Plus she's one voice, in her field, so that means she does not get challenged, professionally, very often.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Houston is a developer’s paradise. There is no zoning (it’s even been voted down - 3 times!), and a developer was actually elected mayor for 3 terms (the limit). The Houston Chronicle is basically a cheer leader for business. Those of us who saw terrible anti-urban development (a Walmart with a large parking lot in a close-in neighborhood?) would have really appreciated someone with Inga’s intellect and profile to shine a spotlight on the many problems with Houston’s development.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
If she had any architectural credentials(maybe she does now, she didn't used to) or she had actually worked in project development(has she?), I would see more validity in what she does.

Plus she's one voice, in her field, so that means she does not get challenged, professionally, very often.
I disagree/ agree with her an even equal amount, but I would rather have her here, she provides good insight for your average reader and she is very active in the Philadelphia development scene, even though its just opinions.

Her articles are some of the best pieces coming out Philly.com/ Philly Mag these days, and that says something about the state of our local publications.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:

I think most of us probably understand your dissatisfaction with Inga. Personally, I like critics. They influence my selection of movies, books, television shows and even restaurants. No, I do not take their word as gospel. I read with an eye to what the critics like and don’t like about any particular subject. Sometimes they completely dislike some aspect to, a book, let’s say. It may be an approach to writing I love. I would say about 90% of the time, I find the critics’ reviews have been helpful.

So you say Inga’s not challenged. I don’t see reviews of movies, books, etc. being challenged. Jeez - your onto Inga? The horse has usually left the barn before she gets a shot at writing her first word. I’d bet Craig LaBan has greater financial impact on the flow of dollars in Philly than Inga could ever imagine. Where is his professional challenge? And he’s not even a chef!

Ranting and re-ranting about the fact that our Pulitzer Price-winning architecture critic gets a weekly column doesn’t tell me anything new. If you disagree with her views, write posts so we’ll know exactly what you disagree with. If you choose this tact, may I request that you start a new thread rather than debate it in this thread. I promise I’ll read it.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:

I tend to look more to the quality with which she is critical. Would it change her works if she had an architectural degree? Ultimately, you don't have to be a master of a trade to be critical of one. I say she's producing better publications than most of the Inquirer.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think most of us probably understand your dissatisfaction with Inga. Personally, I like critics. They influence my selection of movies, books, television shows and even restaurants. No, I do not take their word as gospel. I read with an eye to what the critics like and don’t like about any particular subject. Sometimes they completely dislike some aspect to, a book, let’s say. It may be an approach to writing I love. I would say about 90% of the time, I find the critics’ reviews have been helpful.

So you say Inga’s not challenged. I don’t see reviews of movies, books, etc. being challenged. Jeez - your onto Inga? The horse has usually left the barn before she gets a shot at writing her first word. I’d bet Craig LaBan has greater financial impact on the flow of dollars in Philly than Inga could ever imagine. Where is his professional challenge? And he’s not even a chef!

Ranting and re-ranting about the fact that our Pulitzer Price-winning architecture critic gets a weekly column doesn’t tell me anything new. If you disagree with her views, write posts so we’ll know exactly what you disagree with. If you choose this tact, may I request that you start a new thread rather than debate it in this thread. I promise I’ll read it.
I do not like critics. Any of them. So there would be a bunch of senseless arguing in a new thread. I do understand, in theory, your point of view.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:31 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I disagree/ agree with her an even equal amount, but I would rather have her here, she provides good insight for your average reader and she is very active in the Philadelphia development scene, even though its just opinions.

Her articles are some of the best pieces coming out Philly.com/ Philly Mag these days, and that says something about the state of our local publications.
Did you just lump us together?

I hope you aren't confusing the two. Our respective publications have two distinct and distinctly different personalities.

Phillymag.com functions like a daily newspaper in terms of content provision, but we maintain the addytood of the monthly magazine in terms of tone and style.

(The Inky's new suburban news/opinion columnist got roughed up for her debut column this past Monday in the UrbanPHL Facebook group. One of the commenters quipped that she "was really auditioning for the job she actually wants, at Philly Mag.")

I don't share kyb01's disdain for critics, though it's reminiscent of a quip of George Bernard Shaw's about another profession whose members offer guidance ("Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.") But I think they perform a useful function in that they get people thinking about the subjects they write about and not simply accepting what the various publicity machines tell them they should be thinking. (You think developers don't have publicity machines? If you don't, want to trade your email inbox for mine?)

Inga deserved her Pulitzer (the Inky's 20th). And as far as knowledge of the subject is concerned, we're both self-taught. (Okay, I did take two Visual and Environmental Studies courses on the man-made environment of the United States at Harvard that have greatly influenced my thinking. But I'm still not a "doer" who studied the nuts and bolts of the subject I cover.) I just do more reporting and less criticism, and she, vice versa, but we both do both. Without the reporting, the criticism would be less informed.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:33 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

The funny thing is, when Craig made his critical debut here, I read his introductory column and thought, "This guy overwrites horribly."

He's managed to rein himself in since then.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The funny thing is, when Craig made his critical debut here, I read his introductory column and thought, "This guy overwrites horribly."

He's managed to rein himself in since then.
That was my opinion as well, although I felt like it was the difference between his style & Elaine Tait's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia