Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Is it so wrong to hope that this transition will happen before I'm dead? Maybe that's too much to ask for. For me "pushing" is form tough love.
Remember how well that worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times
Quote:
You're naive if you think it would be easy.

No one ever runs against them in primaries and you didn't mention that. If no one challenges them how easy is it to vote them out? Besides they have decades of experience in how to "stay put". Until millennials decide to try to take the reigns of power nothing will change.
I definitely agree that Millennials have to step up and take a greater role in the politicial process, from actually getting to the polls to running for office. Luckily for the city, there is a VERY active base of Millennials who are organizing to fight for change. How do I know? I’m very involved in all of its workings. I’m also planning on potentially running for office in May. I’m not 25 yet, so I can’t run for a seat in Council; however, I can run for committeeperson in my ward. The last committeeperson won with only 28 votes. I live in a section of Templetown that is student-dominated, and also belong to the College Democrats. If I could get the organization to back me and support my campaign, then this could be my entry into Philadelphia city politics. Other young people are getting ready to do the same thing this upcoming year: take the small-time gigs, gain recognition within the community and our parties, become of age to run for higher offices, and build our political careers like that.

Such a move means that I would have to commit to living in Templetown after graduation, but I’m in love with the neighborhood and would do it (especially since I dream of running for 5th District Councilman one day).

Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 AM

311 posts, read 314,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I definitely agree that Millennials have to step up and take a greater role in the politicial process, from actually getting to the polls to running for office. Luckily for the city, there is a VERY active base of Millennials who are organizing to fight for change. How do I know? I’m very involved in all of its workings. I’m also planning on potentially running for office in May. I’m not 25 yet, so I can’t run for a seat in Council; however, I can run for committeeperson in my ward. The last committeeperson won with only 28 votes. I live in a section of Templetown that is student-dominated, and also belong to the College Democrats. If I could get the organization to back me and support my campaign, then this could be my entry into Philadelphia city politics. Other young people are getting ready to do the same thing this upcoming year: take the small-time gigs, gain recognition within the community and our parties, become of age to run for higher offices, and build our political careers like that.

Such a move means that I would have to commit to living in Templetown after graduation, but I’m in love with the neighborhood and would do it (especially since I dream of running for 5th District Councilman one day).
College Democrats is a pretty well-run organization on campus. Getting their backing would be a solid step forward, but you would have to convince people that positive development (and I'm not talking skyscrapers here) is not inherently predatory, which hopefully can be done if you're smart about it and people are willing to listen.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:

It's not so much the younger folks like you that I'm talking about. I should have said that older Mills( can I call you that, lol ?), the ones who will be 36 next year....I was hoping some would be working there way through the weeds of our tired and corrupt local politics.

And, thank you, for your obvious commitment to the city. It's wonderful.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 AM

288 posts, read 245,107 times
Quote:

The next elections for City Council will be in 2019, for a term beginning in 2020. I truly hope 'we' (people our age) can build up momentum between now and then! I did not vote for any councilmembers in 2015 because I was not politically aware as I am now, from reading this forum and all the real estate blogs.

This page shows the results of the city council elections in 2015:

https://ballotpedia.org/Municipal_el...ylvania_(2015)

Like kyb said, many of them ran unopposed. Hopefully this will change in 2019. These people have spent enough time being poverty pimps.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 AM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Clarke working hard to keep his district as ghetto as possible

Why give a pass to so many delinquent taxpayers? | Editorial

This is the stuff that makes my blood boil.
I don't like Clarke but to be fair the Tax Lien Securitization is a horrible idea that has already failed once before in the mid 1990s. The prior securitization resulted in a default to the bondholders. Domb doesn't know what he is talking about on this issue and is just parroting talking points of a lobbying group.

The reporting I have seen on this issue has been appalling. Everyone has just taken comments from Domb and other people and repeated them as fact. There has been almost no investigation on the issues.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Prayer never works. What might work is getting your millennial buddies to vote en masse or run for office. Actually do the work to change the system. But you won't of course.
now now. Maybe one day I'll come back. I have a few friends who were campaigning for Ori Feibush a few years back against Kenyetta, I hope he runs again.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Comcast Tower Tops Off

Looks like it officially topped off.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
They should be in jail. I pray for Philadelphia when I read s*** like this.

Forgiving delinquent tax payers, forgiving delinquent parking tickets, more parking, mandatory affordable housing, eminent domain to prevent developers from building.... Sounds like a world class city to me, really saddening.
I'm going to weigh in here with the opinion that some of this stuff is doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

One problem is: We don't really have an affordable housing crisis, though obviously there's not enough of it that's in good enough shape to change hands and not enough new supply coming on line to meet demand for low-income affordable housing. But I believe that income diversity is A Good Thing and that our society tends to militate against it. 205 Race offers proof-of-concept that developers can pull off mixed-income housing in affluent neighborhoods, but it still won't do much for those on the bottommost rungs. Frankly, I'd prefer that we devoted our efforts more to improving the pockets of concentrated poverty so that the not-poor find them acceptable, but at the same time I do believe that the well-to-do places need to do some opening up too. (In my more radical moments, I express this sentiment as "It's time we bought Housing Choice to Radnor.")

I still can't for the life of me figure out Council President Clarke's apparent insistence that the heart of his district resemble the Far Northeast. But we've rehashed the pitfalls of councilmanic privilege over and over again, and besides, what he did wasn't veto a specific development but rather downzone to make specific types of development illegal without variances. That can be more easily fixed.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
but at the same time I do believe that the well-to-do places need to do some opening up too. (In my more radical moments, I express this sentiment as "It's time we bought Housing Choice to Radnor.")

This stuck out to me the most. How do you propose doing that? If you think Lower Merion residents went nuts over the Target, just imagine what they would do if this were proposed.

I'm sure you will explain this more, but if a family making lets say 75k a year (middle class) can't afford Radnor, why should the bottom rung be given a pass? I believe in opportunities for all, but I also believe in the social pyramid. Radnor is the cream of the crop on a national level, call me crazy, but I don't think housing choice for Radnor should be given, it should be striven for.

I'm sure I'll get some backlash for that comment, but it's an open discussion so people are allowed to agree/disagree.

And as you said before, I think the poverty problem should be targeted at its epicenter in the cities poorest neighborhoods, giving out passes and spreading it around does nothing to decrease poverty. Neither does eminent domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia