Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Temple students are incredibly socially liberal, why would they vote guys like Clarke out? The irony is that I think people like Clarke and Sanchez are antithetical to progressive values but anyway.
If they knew what Clarke actually stands for, along with how he truly holds this city back, they may change their minds. Mass property takings via the PHA, extravagant parking minimums (along with "driving to the corner store"), bike lane refusals, and downzoning (a hypocritical move from someone who claims to support affordable housing) are antithetical to the progressive values that liberals have. The problem is that many Temple students who live in the neighborhood don't care enough about Philly politics to vote him out. Hell, some don't even want to live in the city upon graduation.

In a city where less than 30,000 votes can win a major election for a Councilperson, educating and enticing even a few students to come to the voting booths could mean a world of difference between a Philadelphia that has progressive politicians vs regressive ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 03:28 PM

311 posts, read 313,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
If they knew what Clarke actually stands for, along with how he truly holds this city back, they may change their minds. Mass property takings via the PHA, extravagant parking minimums (along with "driving to the corner store"), bike lane refusals, and downzoning (a hypocritical move from someone who claims to support affordable housing) are antithetical to the progressive values that liberals have. The problem is that many Temple students who live in the neighborhood don't care enough about Philly politics to vote him out. Hell, some don't even want to live in the city upon graduation.

In a city where less than 30,000 votes can win a major election for a Councilperson, educating and enticing even a few students to come to the voting booths could mean a world of difference between a Philadelphia that has progressive politicians vs regressive ones.
If only they could be convinced. For one, college students are not just gonna get out and vote in city council elections. They don't care enough. But even then, all students who would care are convinced that any form of development is a form of gentrification by corporate vultures or something of the like. They think progress tears apart a sense of community and is thus inherently harmful. You can't change paradigms that are so brazenly entrenched.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Clarke working hard to keep his district as ghetto as possible

Why give a pass to so many delinquent taxpayers? | Editorial

This is the stuff that makes my blood boil.
And before him, ex-mayor John Street did it. It was his district before Clarke.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
They should be in jail. I pray for Philadelphia when I read s*** like this.

Forgiving delinquent tax payers, forgiving delinquent parking tickets, more parking, mandatory affordable housing, eminent domain to prevent developers from building.... Sounds like a world class city to me, really saddening.
Prayer never works. What might work is getting your millennial buddies to vote en masse or run for office. Actually do the work to change the system. But you won't of course.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:54 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
If only they could be convinced. For one, college students are not just gonna get out and vote in city council elections. They don't care enough. But even then, all students who would care are convinced that any form of development is a form of gentrification by corporate vultures or something of the like. They think progress tears apart a sense of community and is thus inherently harmful. You can't change paradigms that are so brazenly entrenched.
It is depressing. Do you really think college students are engaged enough to hold such informed views on gentrification. I assume that 90% of them are more interested in the next keg party.

I suspect there might be a fairly sizeable majority of students who even don’t even know that Clarke their council rep. In this void, it seems a good, charismatic, progressive candidate could build a strategy around energizing these otherwise disinterested Temple students.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
How come Clarke, Blackwell, and Sanchez are always three names that stick out on anything piece of legislation that will be objectively bad? I would be so happy to see all three of them given the boot! They are holding this city back for their own personal gain.

As someone who lives in the 5th District, I believe that it would be easy to boot Clarke out of office. The 5th includes Brewerytown, Francisville, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Logan Square, and parts of Center City and South Kensington. Additionally, there are tens of thousands of Temple students who could easily register to vote and help with the effort to get him out if they were engaged enough.
You're naive if you think it would be easy.

No one ever runs against them in primaries and you didn't mention that. If no one challenges them how easy is it to vote them out? Besides they have decades of experience in how to "stay put". Until millennials decide to try to take the reigns of power nothing will change.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It is depressing. Do you really think college students are engaged enough to hold such informed views on gentrification. I assume that 90% of them are more interested in the next keg party.

I suspect there might be a fairly sizeable majority of students who even don’t even know that Clarke their council rep. In this void, it seems a good, charismatic, progressive candidate could build a strategy around energizing these otherwise disinterested Temple students.
Yes, indeed, a good charismatic, progressive candidate who would challenge Clarke. Anybody who wants to apply? Nobody it
seems.

I wouldn't even focus on Temple students since many of them will be transients. The people to focus on are the more permanent residents of the neighborhoods in the 5th district.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Prayer never works. What might work is getting your millennial buddies to vote en masse or run for office. Actually do the work to change the system. But you won't of course.
I would lay off haranguing some of the younger folks who post in this forum. I see each of them as knowledgeable our city and interested in its future. That’s more than I was when I was their age.

Political leaders will emerge from this generation. There is a wider pool out of candidates out there than the small community of regulars that contribute to this forum.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I would lay off haranguing some of the younger folks who post in this forum. I see each of them as invested in the state of our city its furture. That’s more than I was when I was their age.

Political leaders will emerge from this generation. There is a wider pool out of candidates out there than the small community of regulars that contribute to this forum.
Is it so wrong to hope that this transition will happen before I'm dead? Maybe that's too much to ask for. For me "pushing" is form tough love.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, indeed, a good charismatic, progressive candidate who would challenge Clarke. Anybody who wants to apply? Nobody it
seems.

I wouldn't even focus on Temple students since many of them will be transients. The people to focus on are the more permanent residents of the neighborhoods in the 5th district.
I agree that it needs to be district-wide. But I see the untapped potential in engaging the Temple student population in support of an insurgent opponent to the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia