Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The fact that they have been sponsoring the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcasts for a long time means I'm more okay with them than not.
I hear occasional stories about sub-par construction quality in some of their homes, and of course they're caught up in a couple of preservation fights hereabouts (they lost the one out by the Brandywine battlefield), but I have a generally favorable view of the company, and they wouldn't have gotten as big as they are by putting up crappy houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I hear occasional stories about sub-par construction quality in some of their homes, and of course they're caught up in a couple of preservation fights hereabouts (they lost the one out by the Brandywine battlefield), but I have a generally favorable view of the company, and they wouldn't have gotten as big as they are by putting up crappy houses.
Their product at least in the Delaware Valley has greatly improved in the past 5-10 years as well. No more stucco, more stone/ siding, smaller homes, larger lots. The 90s were their most notorious years of stucco mcmansions.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Toll Bros., long a Northeast and Mid-Atlantic builder, is now bigger out west

Love em or hate em, Toll is growing fast and going big out West. (Headquarted in Horsham, PA for those who don't know).

Control A, Control C, then paste in word if you have a block.
My Mom hates them for ignoring the city for so long and contributing toward/profiting on suburban sprawl/white flight. I'll admit it still is weird for me today to see them building in the city lol.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Their product at least in the Delaware Valley has greatly improved in the past 5-10 years as well. No more stucco, more stone/ siding, smaller homes, larger lots. The 90s were their most notorious years of stucco mcmansions.
Yep. Thankfully EIFS stucco has become essentially eliminated on any new construction development nowadays, at least as a primary facade material.

I think the 90s/early 2000s were the pinnacle of the trend where developers completely gave up on putting any effort into home design. It was all utilitarian and about making a "quick buck." Now, "traditional neighborhood development" is making a comeback in a big way, which emphasizes more appealing building materials and thoughtful design that respects the historic character of the area.

I think most folks are willing to pay at least a little more for a home that has some traditional curb appeal, which is better for resale value and a basic sense of pride.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
My Mom hates them for ignoring the city for so long and contributing toward/profiting on suburban sprawl/white flight. I'll admit it still is weird for me today to see them building in the city lol.
Toll's City Living division built some pretty striking high-rises in Manhattan. I recall images of them gracing a publicity brochure the division put out for one of its Philadelphia developments.

Which brings us to a rather delicious - I'm not sure "irony" is the right word to describe this situation.

Toll Brothers City Living has gotten dinged by urbanist types for its essentially low-rise vision of urban housing in Philadelphia.

Then it announces a plan for a 26-story high-rise on Jewelers Row, since trimmed by four stories.

I said around the time it was announced, "Finally, Toll Brothers is building the kind of project everyone wanted them to do. It's a shame they propose to ruin a historic block to do it."

Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
I suppose some people saw that Meryl Levitz is leaving Visit Philly. There's going to be a nationwide search to replace her. This is obviously a good opportunity to completely change how we sell ourselves to the world.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
Quote:
I suppose some people saw that Meryl Levitz is leaving Visit Philly. There's going to be a nationwide search to replace her. This is obviously a good opportunity to completely change how we sell ourselves to the world.
Honest question, why and how would you change it?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Honest question, why and how would you change it?
She did an okay job but...

What we need is more aggressiveness and wider coverage to different places. Get rid of things like the cutesy XOXO campaign.

Make a deal with and hire Cory Popp to produce every single video promoting Philly and then put those videos in every single media market worldwide. And in those videos do not reveal what this fabulous place is until the end. Let it be a surprise because it will be to a lot of unaware people.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
She did an okay job but...

What we need is more aggressiveness and wider coverage to different places. Get rid of things like the cutesy XOXO campaign.

Make a deal with and hire Cory Popp to produce every single video promoting Philly and then put those videos in every single media market worldwide. And in those videos do not reveal what this fabulous place is until the end. Let it be a surprise because it will be to a lot of unaware people.
His site has some fabulous videos. There are some amazing drone videos that really capture that beauty of the city.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
His site has some fabulous videos. There are some amazing drone videos that really capture that beauty of the city.
The drone shots are fine but slow, glacial and meandering... well that's their nature. Copps' videos often use time-lapsed photography and fabulous music and editing. Philadelphia in Motion is magnificent in how it builds to that awesome climax of showing the city all lit up. It's a "wow" view of the city. My sister, who's a bigger cynic than me, went "OMG!" when she saw it. That's what we need.... I also love his seasonal videos. The Miracle on 13th St(2016) is one of his best, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia