Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
I would love to see her tackle DROP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Two-story building in west Center City hits market as possible development site

This could potential be a nice development.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/22/...delphia-digsau

Here are some renderings of the proposed tower on the Delaware River. Very nice design IMO.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Healthy local job market this year. Perhaps too healthy: Philly area firms fear they can't find enough skilled workers, Fed survey shows

Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/22/...delphia-digsau

Here are some renderings of the proposed tower on the Delaware River. Very nice design IMO.

Yes the design here is very impressive. I love how they took advantage of the height bonus by adding the public components; that public space on the river is very nicely designed as well from what I can see on the renderings.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM

A First Look at Toll’s Second Jewelers Row Tower – Philadelphia Magazine

I actually like this design better. I like the broken up geometry/ massing, the terraces are a nice touch too, it doesn't look as rectangular as the initial design. Normally an all blue glass facade is boring (going up everywhere in Manhattan), but I think it adds to Philadelphia's skyline.

I hope people start embracing this project, Toll is being quite persistent, I don't see them walking away at this point.

Also, that must be a spectacular view having a Western terrace.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
I hope people start embracing this project, Toll is being quite persistent, I don't see them walking away at this point.
I'm okay with it, though I share the sentiment of the SHCA president I quoted near the end of the piece. But I'm afraid that I also agree with the SLCE partner who said that the "DC solution" wouldn't really mesh well with the overall composition of this particular tower.

(The "DC solution" is also known as a "façadectomy." The St. James performed one on the rowhouses along the south side of the 700 block of Walnut. The best façadectomy in this town is the one Pennsylvania Hospital performed on the rowhouses along the south side of the 700 block of Pine Street in 1982. Behind those fronts is another wall, the south wall of the medical office building that fits within their overall envelope.)

But I have heard more than a few people express the nagging fear that Toll will do with this project what it did with a townhouse project it proposed for the 500 block of South 8th Street, on the site of the former Society Hill Playhouse: Namely, tear the old building down, then walk away and sell the parcel to someone else who then puts up something truly hideous but probably cheaper on the site.

I hope that doesn't happen here. Given all they've gone through to put two different designs through Civic Design Review, I doubt it will, in fact.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
A First Look at Toll’s Second Jewelers Row Tower – Philadelphia Magazine

I actually like this design better. I like the broken up geometry/ massing, the terraces are a nice touch too, it doesn't look as rectangular as the initial design. Normally an all blue glass facade is boring (going up everywhere in Manhattan), but I think it adds to Philadelphia's skyline.

Also, that must be a spectacular view having a Western terrace.
Agree with you. This one works a lot better.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm okay with it, though I share the sentiment of the SHCA president I quoted near the end of the piece. But I'm afraid that I also agree with the SLCE partner who said that the "DC solution" wouldn't really mesh well with the overall composition of this particular tower.

(The "DC solution" is also known as a "façadectomy." The St. James performed one on the rowhouses along the south side of the 700 block of Walnut. The best façadectomy in this town is the one Pennsylvania Hospital performed on the rowhouses along the south side of the 700 block of Pine Street in 1982. Behind those fronts is another wall, the south wall of the medical office building that fits within their overall envelope.)

But I have heard more than a few people express the nagging fear that Toll will do with this project what it did with a townhouse project it proposed for the 500 block of South 8th Street, on the site of the former Society Hill Playhouse: Namely, tear the old building down, then walk away and sell the parcel to someone else who then puts up something truly hideous but probably cheaper on the site.

I hope that doesn't happen here. Given all they've gone through to put two different designs through Civic Design Review, I doubt it will, in fact.
Wasn't that because the neighbors and opposition were relentless? They wouldn't even work with Toll. If that is the case then I don't blame Toll for walking away, neighborhood opposition has saved many buildings and improved many designs, but it has also lead to instances like that, and wasn't that mansion at 40th and Pine basically a result of the neighbors being stubborn?

Anyways, I do find it hard to believe that saving facades would be cost prohibitive.

I know Jewelers Row is a sensitive site, but I do roll my eyes at the amount of people who are against this project just because its Toll and on Jewelers Row, when they do not know the history of the Row or have ever been to it.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 PM

Philadelphia hotels report record occupancy last year

"The agency announced the annual statistics at an event Wednesday where it rolled out 2018 plans to strengthen its marketing focus on attracting foodies to the city. It includes a spring campaign to promote an overnight hotel package tied to dining, a video series in partnership with Bon Appétit magazine and the annual nominations announcement of the James Beard Foundation Awards for culinary excellence.

Visit Philadelphia also said its “With Love, Philadelphia XOXO” campaign would evolve into a “City of Brotherly Love” theme, and it plans to soon launch a “Homesick Philly” campaign aimed to attract former Philadelphians to visit or extend their stays."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia