Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 PM

61 posts, read 61,995 times

Advertisements

So it looks to me like theres a city plan in Philly where they want to keep housing affordable and give everyone a chance while trying to make the city better. If they can pull it off, that be great.

I should have went to Philly instead of wasting my time going to Portland OR or St Petersburg FL or even Sacramento. It was on the same coast I was on too. Currently am a 7 hr drive so if I want to see it bad enough, I can take Amtrak and could consider Philly or immediate area in my future.

From what I gather, they're really trying to improve this place to add to the already good things it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
LOVE statue moving back to LOVE Park today. No word when the park will re-open. This Spring I suppose.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:05 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNH View Post
So it looks to me like theres a city plan in Philly where they want to keep housing affordable and give everyone a chance while trying to make the city better. If they can pull it off, that be great.

I should have went to Philly instead of wasting my time going to Portland OR or St Petersburg FL or even Sacramento. It was on the same coast I was on too. Currently am a 7 hr drive so if I want to see it bad enough, I can take Amtrak and could consider Philly or immediate area in my future.

From what I gather, they're really trying to improve this place to add to the already good things it has.
That is partially true. Many city leaders are attempting to keep neighborhoods affordable, but its more to line their pockets and keep them in office rather than actually help people. I think keeping the entire city affordable in an unrealistic goal, the more Philadelphia grows and claims to be a worldly city, with that comes increased real estate.

While Philadelphia is a fantastic city with a growing energy, I think the affordability factor is a little inflated in peoples minds. Sure, compared to our immediate neighbors we are affordable, but I don't think Philadelphia is a "cheaper" place to live compared to the majority of the US, especially if you want to live in a desirable part of the city, prices are much much higher than the averages you see for the entire city.

That being said, Philadelphia is a great affordable alternative for people living in New York, DC, or Boston.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

That being said, Philadelphia is a great affordable alternative for people living in New York, DC, or Boston.
There are significant price differentials within a few blocks in Rittenhouse and Fitler Sq. Penthouses going from $15 mil(9000 sq ft) to $679,000(1100sq). Prices that would probably be doubled or more in NY.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are significant price differentials within a few blocks in Rittenhouse and Fitler Sq. Penthouses going from $15 mil(9000 sq ft) to $679,000(1100sq). Prices that would probably be doubled or more in NY.
That is why I think it can be hard to generalize how expensive or inexpensive Philadelphia is. Many other large cities have become almost uniformly expensive even in the far out stretches, whereas in Philadelphia the pricepoints can very greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood based on the desirability of that area.

So compared to the nation I wouldn't classify Philadelphia as affordable, compared to our Northeastern and West Coast neighbors then yes, Philadelphia is a good deal, as is Chicago.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
With Comcast renewing efforts to buy 21 century fox and Walgreens trying to buy AmerisourceBergen big things are happening.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...y-for-new.html

This is good news. Many people thought Crown Holdings might be lured out of PA when they announced the sale of their HQ in NE Philly. I’m happy to see they are just going to move to Bucks.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
With Comcast renewing efforts to buy 21 century fox and Walgreens trying to buy AmerisourceBergen big things are happening.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...y-for-new.html

This is good news. Many people thought Crown Holdings might be lured out of PA when they announced the sale of their HQ in NE Philly. I’m happy to see they are just going to move to Bucks.
Even though the city loses another one, it is still a positive for the region.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
With Comcast renewing efforts to buy 21st century fox...
Evidently the Comcast offer was higher than Disney's so that might be why they still want to make a deal for it.

Somewhat related, I noticed while reading Production Weekly, that there's a film production and finance company,
Palmstar Media, in Wayne. I wonder if M Night is behind it.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
LOVE statue moving back to LOVE Park today. No word when the park will re-open. This Spring I suppose.
I wonder what the significance of this LOVE statue.
I always thought that it was indigenous to Philly. But then, I found out that DC has an "AMOR" version. And I came across the same statue in Manhattan.
Anybody with deep historical root to Philly care to enlighten? (AFAIK, I cannot find info about this online, just to find that Indiannapolis also has one).

Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I wonder what the significance of this LOVE statue.
I always thought that it was indigenous to Philly. But then, I found out that DC has an "AMOR" version. And I came across the same statue in Manhattan.
Anybody with deep historical root to Philly care to enlighten? (AFAIK, I cannot find info about this online, just to find that Indiannapolis also has one).
This was in my Facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/phillydotco...6656/?sk=h_chr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia