Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You keep missing the point. That was not the only choice. They could have stayed in our own city in a beautiful building located right on the Schuylkill Banks. Picture that.

I’m not sure how people are unable (or unwilling?) to reconcile this.
They could have moved to London or somewhere else in UK, for instance. I'm just more about keeping their international footprint in Philadelphia since we need that presence. But, I do agree, that the building could be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 04:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
I can't resist ...
Checked out Curbed Philly ,as I check out Curbed Chicago about every week. See this Brewerytown home asking $438,000. Looks nice and wondered if a rowhome or something else. I scrolled down further and saw the exterior photo.... said that much for that ..... I'm sure a nice chunk was put into the redo. But NOT a very pleasant block. The kind of block a visitor gains no positive opinions of Philly from. Looks like it was a garage.

I had to check out the street-view. Surely, no aesthetically pleasing attributes. Might be on the verge of more full gentrification.... but still. I'm sure a New Yorker might see it as a bargain?

Near a park but heck.... needs my green frontage makeover of its wide sidewalk and OMG ugliest power-line pole right in front too.

Guess any place can gentrify.... I'd pick a more architecturally interesting block of homes first.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/11/...le-industrial-

Street-view home is on right.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-75.1782822

Guess this is the improving Philly for the future. I'd hope its taxes are cheap yet ... given the block it's in.
It's like inside your in one dimension .... you go out the front door and in another.

I'll take this instead for $434,000 ... but I'm sure the tax is higher? But maybe not. A HOA fee too. But awesome core location.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/14...-bedroom-condo

Yep the sock it to ya HOA. fee. The roughly 1,000-square-foot property is currently listed at $434,000. HOA will run an additional $680 per month and include access to amenities such as a sundeck, outdoor pool, fitness center, 24-hour door staff, and bike room.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-15-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I can't resist ...
Checked out Curbed Philly ,as I check out Curbed Chicago about every week. See this Brewerytown home asking $438,000. Looks nice and wondered if a rowhome or something else. I scrolled down further and saw the exterior photo.... said that much for that ..... I'm sure a nice chunk was put into the redo. But NOT a very pleasant block. The kind of block a visitor gains no positive opinions of Philly from. Looks like it was a garage.

I had to check out the street-view. Surely, no aesthetically pleasing attributes. Might be on the verge of more full gentrification.... but still. I'm sure a New Yorker might see it as a bargain?

Near a park but heck.... needs my green frontage makeover of its wide sidewalk and OMG ugliest power-line pole right in front too.

Guess any place can gentrify.... I'd pick a more architecturally interesting block of homes first.

Guess this is the improving Philly for the future. I'd hope its taxes are cheap yet ... given the block it's in.
It's like inside your in one dimension .... you go out the front door and in another.

I'll take this instead for $440,000 $2000 more ... but I'm sure the tax is higher? But maybe not. A HOA fee too. But awesome core location.

What was the point of that post? Are you in an extra anti-Philly mood today?

Yes, Brewerytown is undergoing a transformation, some blocks are changing more drastically than others, but I would still give Breweytown another decade before it becomes an overall desirable neighborhood.

Your link for the condo in Chicago is also a poor comparison, you are comparing a home on Mag Mile (arguably one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Chicago) to a home in Brewerytown, which is far from the most desirable neighborhood in Philadelphia. A better comparison would be Rittenhouse, Fitler Square, or Society Hill.

Finally, I see Philadelphia surpassing Chicago in rental/ purchasing rates if the current trends of each city continues. It appears from a quick search that the best neighborhoods are pretty much even in the price category already.

Finally, why do you not like Philadelphia. A person doesn't post a random and rather odd comparison at 7pm on Tuesday without some sort of irritation toward a place.

P.S. I love Chicago and Philadelphia, why can't we just appreciate what each city has to offer?

Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Yes, Brewerytown is undergoing a transformation, some blocks are changing more drastically than others, but I would still give Breweytown another decade before it becomes an overall desirable neighborhood.

Your link for the condo in Chicago is also a poor comparison, you are comparing a home on Mag Mile (arguably one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Chicago) to a home in Brewerytown, which is far from the most desirable neighborhood in Philadelphia. A better comparison would be Rittenhouse, Fitler Square, or Society Hill.

Finally, I see Philadelphia surpassing Chicago in rental/ purchasing rates if the current trends of each city continues. It appears from a quick search that the best neighborhoods are pretty much even in the price category already.

Finally, why do you not like Philadelphia. A person doesn't post a random and rather odd comparison at 7pm on Tuesday without some sort of irritation toward a place.

P.S. I love Chicago and Philadelphia, why can't we just appreciate what each city has to offer?
Yes I can, but honestly price and block surprised me. I see no reason to save most of that block. For that price.... may as well do new infill.
This has to be a huge profit. As usual, you need to only praise any improvement unless a local does the not totally like ... what they get. I get it ... not a local you are a hater if you did not praise. I'd have time to delete my post. But quoting it you saved it. Maybe it will get deleted anyway.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-15-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Yes I can, but honestly price and block surprised me. I see no reason to save most of that block. For that price.... may as well do new infill.
This has to be a huge profit. As usual, you need to only praise any improvement unless a local does the not totally like ... what they get. I get it ... not a local you are a hater if you did not praise. I'd have time to delete my post. But quoting it you saved it. Maybe it will get deleted anyway.
Rehabbing can be as cost-effective as new construction.

And if you look at most of the new construction going up in any Philadelphia neighborhood these days, I think that after you've seen a few of them, you'll be jonesing for a nice rehab (which that old garage was).

BTW, $434k for a Mag Mile condo kinda surprised me too. Guess Chicago remains pretty affordable.

OTOH, the rot in Springfield is spreading so rapidly that it's beginning to affect Chicago too. (Not that they're squeaky clean in Harrisburg or Philadelphia either, but somehow we've managed to avoid the mess Illinois has gotten itself into.)

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I can't resist ...

I'll take this instead for $434,000 ... but I'm sure the tax is higher? But maybe not. A HOA fee too. But awesome core location.

Yep the sock it to ya HOA. fee. The roughly 1,000-square-foot property is currently listed at $434,000. HOA will run an additional $680 per month and include access to amenities such as a sundeck, outdoor pool, fitness center, 24-hour door staff, and bike room.
Yes, agreed, the power lines are ugly...but, tbh, you never seem to get that lots of Philadelphians do not care about "green frontage" because it means wasting time caring for it. I grew up doing lawn care...what a freaking chore and effing waste of time. One of the joys of city living for me is never having to deal with grass, cutting it or anything else with it. Yah. It all feeds my general, sometime irrational, loathing of suburban lifestyles.

Fairmount Park is right next to Brewerytown as you probably know. So that solves any need for green anyone should need.

I like that it's not obvious that great layout is behind a " garage" door. Hidden treasures! A property like that would be over a million $ in NYC so yes it's a bargain. If you ever go on public house tours in Philly you will discover properties that are like this one..very understated outside but amazing on the inside.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Parts of Brewerytown, south of Girard Ave, never lost desirability, particularly on Poplar St. So it has tremendous potential.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Parking Garage Has Disappeared Across From Lombard Swim Club - OCF Realty

Disappointing project for a prime piece of land. Hopefully we will get a project more exciting than townhouses on the remaining plots in CC.
As it's Fitler Sq, whose charm is derived from its historic townhouses,not sure why you'd want something else there.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
The nearly obsessive dislike of Philly rowhomes is a tired trope that has carried this poster through several usernames across countless threads. The first three words of this latest post pretty much says it all: ”I can’t resist ...”.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The nearly obsessive dislike of Philly rowhomes is a tired trope that has carried this poster through several usernames across countless threads. The first three words of this latest post pretty much says it all: ”I can’t resist ...”.
I like the rowhomes. They are part of what makes Philly unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia