Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 PM

385 posts, read 401,458 times

Advertisements

Center City Sips is everything. Went plenty of times last year...it was so cool. Everyone getting off work....I was off from work those days but it was great. Fav. Center City Sips location is the Sky Garten on top of the Bell Atlantic Bldg i believe. 51 Stories up and looking over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Can we have a law that no large property in the city can be demolished until a firm contract to start construction is secured:

”Developer Ori Feibush said Saturday that he will no longer be the developer on the controversial Christian Street Baptist Church site in Bella Vista and that he plans to move on from the property after demolishing it in the coming weeks.

In an email Saturday, Feibush said that “the contract for [1020-24] Christian St. was assigned to a new buyer, who will purchase the church after demolition is complete.” He did not provide further details and could not be reached for comment.”

Developer Ori Feibush: I'm walking away from the Bella Vista church after I demolish it - Philly

Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Can we have a law that no large property in the city can be demolished until a firm contract to start construction is secured:

”Developer Ori Feibush said Saturday that he will no longer be the developer on the controversial Christian Street Baptist Church site in Bella Vista and that he plans to move on from the property after demolishing it in the coming weeks.

In an email Saturday, Feibush said that “the contract for [1020-24] Christian St. was assigned to a new buyer, who will purchase the church after demolition is complete.” He did not provide further details and could not be reached for comment.”

Developer Ori Feibush: I'm walking away from the Bella Vista church after I demolish it - Philly
Was his original plan to convert the church to apartments, or demo all along?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Was his original plan to convert the church to apartments, or demo all along?

It’s been all over the board. Covert. Demolish and replace with townhouses. Sell to someone who will maintain the structure. The last was the one that was currently in the works. Or so it was thought, based on recent statements from Feibush himself. He found two suitors interested in maintaining the structure but now decided to tear it down anyhow, despite their interest.

To demolish without a firm commitment from a developer to break ground is the source of my frustration. I’d hate to see another SLS-style hole in Bella Vista.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
It’s been all over the board. Covert. Demolish and replace with townhouses. Sell to someone who will maintain the structure. The last was the one that was currently in the works. Or so it was thought, based on recent statements from Feibush himself. He found two suitors interested in maintaining the structure but now decided to tear it down anyhow, despite their interest.

To demolish without a firm commitment from a developer to break ground is the source of my frustration. I’d hate to see another SLS-style hole in Bella Vista.
I wonder if he is doing in to spite the neighbors. They were being rather unreasonable from my understanding. Though I do agree, it is a real shame replacing a nice structure with a hole for who knows how long.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wonder if he is doing in to spite the neighbors. They were being rather unreasonable from my understanding. Though I do agree, it is a real shame replacing a nice structure with a hole for who knows how long.
Yea, I do think he has faced unjustified harassment from those in neighborhoods he’s improving. I generally
like what I know about him and wish fellow big-name developer Blatstein had his temperament and aesthetic. So hopefully, reason will prevail here.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Yea, I do think he has faced unjustified harassment from those in neighborhoods he’s improving. I generally
like what I know about him and wish fellow big-name developer Blatstein had his temperament and aesthetic. So hopefully, reason will prevail here.
Quite possibly - but he does seem to have a knack for pissing off neighbors.

You might want to read my Phillymag essay from 2013 titled "The Other Message from the ReNewbold Groundbreaking." In it, I compare and contrast the reception John Longacre gets in Point Breeze from the reception Feibush gets - and the two are pretty much doing the same thing down there.

In that essay, I also quote (anonymously) a real estate agent I've known for some time who delivered a mildly critical opinion of Feibush's m.o. I got an anguished email from Feibush in response. That he should have let roll off his back like water off a duck.

The neighbors of the church in Bella Vista may well have been unreasonable in this saga. it wouldn't surprise me in the least. But it seems that Feibush's diplomatic skills could use some work too.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Quite possibly - but he does seem to have a knack for pissing off neighbors.

You might want to read my Phillymag essay from 2013 titled "The Other Message from the ReNewbold Groundbreaking." In it, I compare and contrast the reception John Longacre gets in Point Breeze from the reception Feibush gets - and the two are pretty much doing the same thing down there.

In that essay, I also quote (anonymously) a real estate agent I've known for some time who delivered a mildly critical opinion of Feibush's m.o. I got an anguished email from Feibush in response. That he should have let roll off his back like water off a duck.

The neighbors of the church in Bella Vista may well have been unreasonable in this saga. it wouldn't surprise me in the least. But it seems that Feibush's diplomatic skills could use some work too.
Fair enough. Thanks for the link. I’m always open to more facts.

I’m not an uncritical Feibush fan, btw. I think his actions at the chocolate factory are pretty sleezy. I seem to detect a trend towards demo v rehab.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:05 AM

752 posts, read 461,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Should he have? I'm not a fan of what he did/is doing to the Chocolate Factory or his plans for the church but the problem with anonymous sources is that you can't defend yourself against them. I'm not a journalist but I find it to be lame to push an anonymous source to bolster ones argument. I do trust you in this case, given your history on this site and the old Phillyblog but many times, but generally speaking, how would the reader fact check your article or even know if the anonymous source even exists?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Should he have? I'm not a fan of what he did/is doing to the Chocolate Factory or his plans for the church but the problem with anonymous sources is that you can't defend yourself against them. I'm not a journalist but I find it to be lame to push an anonymous source to bolster ones argument. I do trust you in this case, given your history on this site and the old Phillyblog but many times, but generally speaking, how would the reader fact check your article or even know if the anonymous source even exists?
Except the complaint wasn't about the anonymous source, it was about the statement itself.

(In this case, the source's request that they be quoted anonymously made sense to me because that source works with many different people in the industry. Including the subject of the quote.)

You are right that it's always preferable to use sources you can cite by name. But sometimes, in order to deliver needed information or information that advances a story, they're a necessary evil. Usually, reporters inform editors of the identity of the sources so they can be verified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia