Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
4219 and 4235 Richmond, two chunks of land with warehouses on them occupied by Amazon and Amazon subcontractors and Fresh Direct respectively, just sold for a combined $6,000,000.

This is in Bridesburg, east of Richmond Street and just north of the Betsy Ross Bridge. Seems an investor with a mailing address near 2nd and Butler bought this land.
I don't know if this is good or bad for the area, but I'd love to see both of these companies out of here.

Any chance that this site will be developed residential in the future? Do investors buy like this in order to keep leasing to the companies already on the land?

A chunk of land was also just bought on the 4500 block of Belgrade Street.
Who would you replace those companies with? Those subcontractors are part of Amazon Logistics more than likely.

Current Amazon stock price is approaching $1800/share, inspite of a slight downturn, and I kick myself everyday for not buying it during their IPO. An investment of $1000 20 years ago would be worth over 600 grand today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
The additional, and more importantly unique and higher end, hotels coming to the city are long overdue considering we've seen tourism numbers explode over the last decade. Good to see this happening finally, and occurring in bulk.

Strawberry Mansion High is a nice story, but probably not sustainable. If you read the article, almost 50% of the student body require special ed services. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schools are the not problem. Under-performing and dangerous schools will solve themselves when abusive and neglectful scumbags stop popping out kids. You get parents that actually want to be, and will be, parents (and thus procreate in a responsible manner) and the issue evaporates in a couple decades or less. For every 10 kids given a different outlook on life at Strawberry Mansion, there are literally hundreds or thousands born that have literally zero chance b/c of their family life. Can't overcome those odds unless you stem the tide of the later.

Agree, the sports complex isn't moving, but I'm not sure you could actually develop a neighborhood around it. I'm picturing the area now in my mind. Highways immediately west, working docks and storage plots east. Not even sure what is south (other than 95) as I've never been been down that way. I believe it's just industrial until the river. I think north is the only actual connection to an existing neighborhood and there is a pretty hard divide by 76. Really, the only option would be to reduce parking lots by about 50 percent and try to carve out some sort of neighborhood there. Comcast is planning on building a new $50M gaming venue there however. https://philly.curbed.com/2019/3/25/...-fusion-sports. It looks really cutting edge. So maybe instead of a neighborhood, the city just continues to make it more of a destination for unique fun and play...
The Strawberry Mansion high story is proof of the need for more early childhood investment. Fixing educational issues among teenagers is a lot more difficult. Better early childhood learning programs and schools with stronger counselors and special education assessments are beneficial. Those students with learning disabilities can be assisted more from a younger age. Those students without a solid home life should be able to find that in their school and resources for them should be more readily available. After school programs should be more prevalent to ensure students have their learning goals fostered better, have better care in general, are less likely to be roaming the streets interacting with the wrong people until their parent gets home, etc.

Couldn't some of the parking lots next to the BSL be developed? It'll look like some dumb 4-8 story apartment boxes you often find in suburban towns, but I think it's entirely possible. Sports fans would probably love being within walking distance to the complex and a subway station to get to work. Building a neighborhood of mixed-use buildings with ground floor retail is entirely possible there and it may not be like its neighbors of South Philly to the north, but it would be something of a neighborhood. On the east side the warehouses could be converted into office development or some kinda Brooklyn style warehouse neighborhood of concert venues, breweries, artist galleries, etc. Large parts of Bushwick are still heavily industrial, but are dotted with breweries and beer gardens and concert venues in between.

Also, Cincinnati was able to reconstruct the are around its stadiums. The Banks. To the north is I-71 dividing it from Downtown. The Ohio River is to the South with a nice riverfront park. To the east is nothing really but a few bridges and interstates mixed with some parking lots and a couple residential complexes. To the west is a massive industrial area. Between the two stadiums they built a couple apartment complexes with ground floor retail, a museum for the Underground Railroad, and a couple breweries/restaurants.

There's already a park there that could be revitalized. It wouldn't be riverfront, but it's still a nice park.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
The additional, and more importantly unique and higher end, hotels coming to the city are long overdue considering we've seen tourism numbers explode over the last decade. Good to see this happening finally, and occurring in bulk.

Strawberry Mansion High is a nice story, but probably not sustainable. If you read the article, almost 50% of the student body require special ed services. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schools are the not problem. Under-performing and dangerous schools will solve themselves when abusive and neglectful scumbags stop popping out kids. You get parents that actually want to be, and will be, parents (and thus procreate in a responsible manner) and the issue evaporates in a couple decades or less. For every 10 kids given a different outlook on life at Strawberry Mansion, there are literally hundreds or thousands born that have literally zero chance b/c of their family life. Can't overcome those odds unless you stem the tide of the later.

Agree, the sports complex isn't moving, but I'm not sure you could actually develop a neighborhood around it. I'm picturing the area now in my mind. Highways immediately west, working docks and storage plots east. Not even sure what is south (other than 95) as I've never been been down that way. I believe it's just industrial until the river. I think north is the only actual connection to an existing neighborhood and there is a pretty hard divide by 76. Really, the only option would be to reduce parking lots by about 50 percent and try to carve out some sort of neighborhood there. Comcast is planning on building a new $50M gaming venue there however. https://philly.curbed.com/2019/3/25/...-fusion-sports. It looks really cutting edge. So maybe instead of a neighborhood, the city just continues to make it more of a destination for unique fun and play...

FDR park is actually a really nice park and not widely used; its a shame as this really is a nice park and has a sizable lake

On the stadium area, I agree with the above, there is no reason why this cant be developed with mixed use. Apartments with gorund level retail lining Packer and 11th could easily be developed. I think there would be a market there as well. Sort of a hybrid of city and burbs and great subway and highway access. Also it could be developed without really removing many surface spaces

On FDR, one it can be parking overflow and is already used for eagles games and large concerts as such

FDR park could also get some activity, its actually a really cool park. I bike down to it once or twice a year.

one thought on development on the parking lot fringes; more just a concept but there is just a ton of space

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vj...Hs&usp=sharing

Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
FDR park is actually a really nice park and not widely used; its a shame as this really is a nice park and has a sizable lake

On the stadium area, I agree with the above, there is no reason why this cant be developed with mixed use. Apartments with gorund level retail lining Packer and 11th could easily be developed. I think there would be a market there as well. Sort of a hybrid of city and burbs and great subway and highway access. Also it could be developed without really removing many surface spaces

On FDR, one it can be parking overflow and is already used for eagles games and large concerts as such

FDR park could also get some activity, its actually a really cool park. I bike down to it once or twice a year.

one thought on development on the parking lot fringes; more just a concept but there is just a ton of space

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vj...Hs&usp=sharing

Nice graphic. And even along Pattison Ave, there are parcels that could certainly support some sort of mixed use/ residential components.

That portion of South Philadelphia is extremely underutilized as far as what it could be, and as you mentioned FDR Park is a fantastic space, a very large hidden gem that I am sure many people would like to live near.

Its ashame the area to the West (past Penrose) is a forever wasteland of refineries.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM

377 posts, read 474,975 times
Definitely missed a major opportunity by not putting the ballpark in Center City, but no point dwelling on it. It's a nice stadium and what Philly has with all three major venues next to one another is unique and cool in its own right. XFINITY Live was a great addition and the e-sports venue will be a nice addition.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
A new permit is posted at the SLS site at Broad and Spruce and 2 panel trucks were on the site a few days back. Signs of life?
Apparently its back on? As well as another tower at Broad and Pine I think...

From his website. https://dranoffproperties.com/moving...e-of-the-arts/

No hotel portion, but I mentioned in the UrbanPHL FB thread, I wish another hotel brand were to fill the SLS void, a small St Regis or JW on South Broad would certainly help with food traffic and add money spending tourists.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Apparently its back on? As well as another tower at Broad and Pine I think...

From his website. https://dranoffproperties.com/moving...e-of-the-arts/

No hotel portion, but I mentioned in the UrbanPHL FB thread, I wish another hotel brand were to fill the SLS void, a small St Regis or JW on South Broad would certainly help with food traffic and add money spending tourists.
One of the renderings is of the northeast corner of Broad and Pine (you can see the UArts building next door). I hope he doesn’t tear down the garage and Starbucks until he’s ready to build.

As we know, renderings are no guarantee a project will be built. But the new permit (at the SLS site) does seem a positive step. Still, this is no longer a mixed use development and is solely a luxe condo tower. I’m watching The Laurel on Rittenhouse Square be more smoke than fire so far. Once dirt starts moving there, I’ll interpret this as a sign there is still a heathy market for high-end condos in CC. Dranoff may be doing the same.

All that said, I’m tired of looking at that hole across from the Kimmel. If nothing is firmly planned, fill it in and make it a pocket park until the market supports development. Dranoff is being honored later this spring as a “visionary” who helped create the Avenue of the Arts. Given he’s left a giant scar on it for the last three years or so, I suspect I may not be the only one who sees the irony in this honorific.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
One of the renderings is of the northeast corner of Broad and Pine (you can see the UArts building next door). I hope he doesn’t tear down the garage and Starbucks until he’s ready to build.

As we know, renderings are no guarantee a project will be built. But the new permit (at the SLS site) does seem a positive step. Still, this is no longer a mixed use development and is solely a luxe condo tower. I’m watching The Laurel on Rittenhouse Square be more smoke than fire so far. Once dirt starts moving there, I’ll interpret this as a sign there is still a heathy market for high-end condos in CC. Dranoff may be doing the same.

All that said, I’m tired of looking at that hole across from the Kimmel. If nothing is firmly planned, fill it in and make it a pocket park until the market supports development. Dranoff is being honored later this spring as a “visionary” who helped create the Avenue of the Arts. Given he’s left a giant scar on it for the last three years or so, I suspect I may not be the only one who sees the irony in this honorific.

I am surprised at the delay in the Laurel, so much press coverage and an article about how "25% of units already under contract", if that is the case you would think construction would be moving along quickly.

And I agree, he has sat on an eyesore because he didn't get the funding he wanted, so either suck it up and build it or sell the land to another developer who isn't looking for as big of a handout.

I hope he focuses on this project, and then begin demo of the parking garage when construction of project 2 is feasible, but not before.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:39 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Maybe I'll see you on April 11th.

I just got an invitation to a "time capsule" ceremony at The Laurel site from Southern Land. It includes this passage:

"We're excited to announce that we're already 25% sold, have broken ground and will soon begin vertical construction."

I'm assuming the groundbreaking is the ceremonial one that took place last fall.

This may be more marketing than making, but I'll ask questions.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:31 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
^^^ Let us know what you learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia