Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 05:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Reading this article and thinking about the one on Philly.com as a contrast, someone could wonder how they both could be true? I think one of the major reasons income's of white residents went down is the exodus from the NE.

People underestimate how impactful the law change was on Police Residency.

Philly Officers Fled City After Residency Requirement was Eliminated - Policemag.com

Adds to my overall disrespect for the PPD. Just abandon the place you are employed to protect and defend and make safer. It's a paycheck and pension for those pos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It's almost like this publication is talking about a different city than Philly.com.

I think both tend to be a bit extreme, on opposite ends of the spectrum.

This article for example mentioned how incomes in city are rising faster than the suburbs. That stat alone doesn't seem accurate to me, but also one would hope incomes are rising faster in the city because the suburbs already have median incomes at the $100k mark (which the article conveniently left out), and once areas hit incomes that high, it is more difficult to sustain high growth year after year.

CBRE is also the company that released an article stating the Philly retail scene is one fire, which A) It's not, and B) Did not mention KoP which is the retail epicenter of the region.

I don't like the general negativity of Philly.com, but the article above paints a too rosy picture. CC and a few other neighborhoods are certainly on the quick upward trajectory, but the city as a whole still has a ways to go.
The Inquirer has way too many deadwood folks with visibly important bylines. I mean Craig LaBan, for instance, needs to move on or retire and let a younger food critic take over. Too many have made a job there some kind of lifetime employment.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This building in Old City next to Elfreth's Alley is turning out well. Definitely an improvement for that corridor.

New National Building Evokes Its Predecessor - OCF Realty
It looks like a pretty good homage to the old structure. I just hope they retained and will reinstall the lettering from the entrance to the old building: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dhilow...-wBPaGH-7kG5Xo. It may be in the rendering of the new building and I missed it.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It looks like a pretty good homage to the old structure. I just hope they retained and will reinstall the lettering from the entrance to the old building: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dhilow...-wBPaGH-7kG5Xo. It may be in the rendering of the new building and I missed it.
The facade of the old National showroom and building is supposed to be reconstructed in toto. I believe the builder even had new terra cotta tiles made to replace ones that were damaged when the facade was dismantled for storage while the new building went up.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:14 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Not a terribly exciting headline, but the implications could be very interesting if construction costs in Philly decrease so significantly. Could very well extend the building boom even further and even allow for more ambitious architecture:
Quote:

Changes to plumbing code expected to sharply reduce Philly construction costs
https://whyy.org/articles/changes-to...ruction-costs/

Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not a terribly exciting headline, but the implications could be very interesting if construction costs in Philly decrease so significantly. Could very well extend the building boom even further and even allow for more ambitious architecture:

Any news about how steel and aluminum availability is being affected locally by the tariffs?

Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM

95 posts, read 180,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

"“We expanded use of plastic pipe, that’s huge for builders,” said Maransky. “The plumbers union and the BIA worked together… [to bring] plumbing into the 20th century.”

Mistake, or subtle dig?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Any news about how steel and aluminum availability is being affected locally by the tariffs?
I personally haven't read anything, but it's likely still a little too early to tell given lag time between current supply and new orders. But yeah, I'd bet on that being a headwind.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Adds to my overall disrespect for the PPD. Just abandon the place you are employed to protect and defend and make safer. It's a paycheck and pension for those pos.
I think a residency requirement is kind of ridiculous because it interferes with one's personal space and time too much. If you're always worried about where you're living because you can't afford where you might want to live and/or are not allowed to, would you not necessarily be able to do a quality job at your job?

I understand your point that it's better for people to be able to be more entrenched in their actual jobs by being a part of the actual community they serve.

What I think should happen instead is that you set up attractive communities that people on the force are allowed to live in in the city for cheap- have some for rent and some for purchase. I do believe that people should be able to feel safe and comfortable where they are and not feel like they have to worry about where they live 24-7. It think it takes "a certain type of person" to have such open minded tolerance and tenacity, and that this type of person is not respected enough unfortunately.

There was something like this for teachers in NYC, but I can't find it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/t...francisco.html
In San Francisco, they have a commune. I've heard of a few communes in Philly, but I'm not sure if there are any kind of requirements to live in them.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I think a residency requirement is kind of ridiculous because it interferes with one's personal space and time too much. If you're always worried about where you're living because you can't afford where you might want to live and/or are not allowed to, would you not necessarily be able to do a quality job at your job?
This might be true in a small city, but I’m sure Philadelphia has enough citizens who qualify to be firefighters if others aren’t interested in living here. The residency requirement might enable more qualified citizens to secure blue collar jobs that would otherwise be taken by people outside the city. The dollars city residents earn would in turn create more “churn” in the city’s economy rather than in collar communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia